A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

abscesses

abscesses

Postby M-E » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:20 pm

After owning Bretty for 12 years he now has his second hoof abscess, the first was last Feb, absolutely nothing before that, I can't think what is causing them, I haven't changed anything in how he is kept or fed, we ride the same routes, it is very strange, I will be seeing my trimmer in November so will ask his advice but till then does any body have any ideas?
M-E

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: abscesses

Postby Trudi » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:10 am

I don't know M-E but you do hear of horses getting recurrent abcesses wonder if there can be a susceptibility once they've had one. Was it the same hoof?
Trudi

Postby FlorayG » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:25 am

I think horses get abscesses all the time and most of them we don't even notice - Dut had one burst out at the coronet a few weeks ago and she hadn't even been lame. Shod horses also get hem more often than people realise and the shoe reduces blood flow so much that they don't feel it unless it's really bad.
I think you've just been unlucky in having two in one year. If you'd had two in the 12 years you've had him you wouldn't think them connected. It's just probability working it's superstitious magic on you... :ugeek:
FlorayG

Postby spottygiraffe » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:28 pm

Did they coincide with him being wormed or did you give him a fly treatment like Butox or anything?
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby M-E » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:26 pm

Nope, they have a monthly herbal wormer and I don't use fly sprays, nothing has changed at all, it has bust on the same hoof in the same place as the Feb one :hmmm:
M-E

Postby JennieF » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:52 pm

probably didnt clear properly last time then .... Is he lame ??
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby M-E » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:21 pm

Very lame, Jennie, this morning he was happier and pottering, tonight he was down although he got up when he saw tea, but by the time I got back with his water he was back down, he did have a good drink, he is not hot or cold, he breathing ok, has the right stomach noises, no swelling or sore spots and was happy looking around, I am just hoping he was soar after being up all day, if he is not better in the morning I shall get the vet out, all not helped by the fact that today was the second anniversary of Moss dying :sad:
M-E

Postby JennieF » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:45 pm

:sad: - I hope he will be a bit better in the morning ... do you have any bute you can give him ??

Have you been in touch with Ian - what does he think?? is he due out again soon

Personally I think you should get the vet - if its burst out but he is still very uncomfortable that's not so good - usually once it has burst they get instant relief ...
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby M-E » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:19 pm

No but here I haven't used any bute for many years, I will be seeing Ian in November,
M-E

Postby Chevalblanc » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:49 am

I wouldn't worry to much, it's true they often have them and we don't notice as they don't go lame, Sky went through a phase a few years back of getting a few that came out at the coronet band, but was never lame. When Ches got one he was hopping lame for about two days, but kept moving and it soon sorted itself out.

How is he today?
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Next

Return to Feet