A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

The sad truth about Natural trimming

The sad truth about Natural trimming

Postby M-E » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:19 pm

This is the article that started the grinder debate

http://www.barefoottrimming.com/index.p ... l-trimming

I found it really interesting, how much over trimming and to much worring about heal hight cause more horses to be sore. the way that Rockly farm do it, the horse can do most it's self
Last edited by M-E on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M-E

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: The sad truth about Natural trimming

Postby Chevalblanc » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:42 pm

Yep, Rockley do lots of posts about "celery" (more on that here: http://rockleyfarm.blogspot.co.uk/2011/ ... -hoof.html)

I suppose it would be rather easy to overtrim using an angle grinder..... :hmmm:
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby FlorayG » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Well yes overtrimming is bad but I don't agree with them that if the horse is still tender after 3 months then it's the trim that's at fault. Diet, weight and ground condition can also have a huge effect. The author is assuming everything else is correct and often the problem isn't actually in the horse's feet it's in the metabolism.
FlorayG

Postby M-E » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:54 pm

Chevalblanc wrote:
I suppose it would be rather easy to overtrim using an angle grinder..... :hmmm:

Indeed as it is easy enough to over trim with a rasp! I must say on the how to vids that I have watched all say don't do this with out training and with right discs and switchs.
I found this one rather good, at first I thought the horses was sedated but after watching the whole I don't think it is, she does say it has been trimmed many times it is not a off the range unhanded Mustang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO1RnOm_ypU
M-E

Postby Trudi » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:42 pm

Although Rockley send you home with a fair amount 'to do' in terms of exercise/diet I believe and not all owners are up for that :sad:
Trudi

Postby FlorayG » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:29 am

Trudi wrote:Although Rockley send you home with a fair amount 'to do' in terms of exercise/diet I believe and not all owners are up for that :sad:

Exactly - and that's why their horses end up back in shoes. Although it's not most owners' fault, I'm lucky in that my horses live on a lot of very rubbish grass ( which is what horses need) but most live in tiny paddocks of over-fertilised cattle-fattening grazing so it's very difficult to keep them sound.
FlorayG

Return to Feet