A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Barefoot vs. shod

Barefoot vs. shod

Postby Chevalblanc » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:19 pm

Just read this blog post: http://blog.easycareinc.com/blog/hoof-b ... oot-owners

So the statements are as follows:

1. Both farriers and barefoot trimmers have the horse's best interest at heart.
2. People that believe all horses should be barefoot all the time are wrong.
3. People who believe all horses should be shod all the time are wrong.
4. Educated farriers believe in hoof protection and allowing barefoot time.
5. Good barefoot trimmers believe hoof protection is needed as horses increase less natural activities.

Do you agree or disagree?

I reckon I agree with 1, in most cases. 2, definitely not, 3, yes, 4, I guess so, but I bet not all of them, 5 no, not less natural activities but maybe less natural lifestyles?
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Barefoot vs. shod

Postby Bonbon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:29 pm

1. I agree in theory, but I've come to believe that most farriers are not up to date with current research and therefore are out of the loop when it comes to the best interests of the horse.
2. agree, there are always exceptions.
3. Absolutely, I think most horses are capable of going barefoot. The problem is that it takes much more work and dedication from the owner, and this is not always possible.
4. An educated farrier who keeps up to date with current research will be open to suggestion of a horse going barefoot, will be able to give advice as to the best cause of action for a particular horse. Will be able to trim accordingly whether for a shoe or barefoot.
5. Well, I agree that as work load increases some horses (most horses?) will need extra protection. My trimmer advocates the use of boots where necessary, and I'd hope that any good trimmer would do the same.

I've had a few glasses of wine, so not sure I've answered the questions correctly or in the right order, hope so!
Bonbon

Postby Trudi » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:40 pm

I've had a few glasses of wine, so not sure I've answered the questions correctly or in the right order, hope so!

I was going to agree with you until I read that :lol: I have to say my eyes have been opened back here :eek: and I'm shocked by the lack of holistic care offered by farriers. Nail 'em on, take your cheque and go :sad: perhaps that's what most owners want :confused:
Trudi

Postby Bonbon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:42 pm

Trudi wrote:

I was going to agree with you until I read that :lol: I have to say my eyes have been opened back here :eek: and I'm shocked by the lack of holistic care offered by farriers. Nail 'em on, take your cheque and go :sad: perhaps that's what most owners want :confused:

That's exactly what I've come to believe - very sad state of affairs, and very wrong!
Bonbon

Postby spottygiraffe » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:45 am

Chevalblanc wrote:1. Both farriers and barefoot trimmers have the horse's best interest at heart.
5. Good barefoot trimmers believe hoof protection is needed as horses increase less natural activities

1. Possibly, but I think there are a lot of old school farriers around who are rough handlers and who just want to bang on as many shoes as possible. Often the horses aren't looked at as individuals -they don't even get trotted up or looked at in motion. I've never known a farrier look at the whole horse for tension and imbalances etc unless there's a glaring problem.
2. Got to disagree strongly here -does a horse that 'needs' shoes 'need' them for himself or for what humans want to do with him?
3. Agree.
4. Disagree. Am not convinced that giving a horse a rest from shoes is of any benefit whatsoever. They wouldn't have time to heal properly in between shoeings and probably wouldn't be trimmed in a way that would improve hoof mechanism anyway.
5. Disagree. The aim of the game is to get the horse sound without hoof protection, otherwise they are not actually sound and it points to a problem. Boots are good for helping them on the journey especially if they have been shod or if there are lifestyle issues that restrict hoof health (such as for owners who have to stable because of yard rules etc).
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Sarah » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:41 am

Chevalblanc wrote:1. Both farriers and barefoot trimmers have the horse's best interest at heart.
5. Good barefoot trimmers believe hoof protection is needed as horses increase less natural activities. lifestyles?

1. Disagree as there are both farriers & barefoot trimmers out there who cripple horses / ponies.
2. Agree as not all horses can cope with being barefoot so need to be shod.
3. Not 100% either way on this one as some horses could cope quite happily without shoes but there are some horses who really couldn't cope.
4. Agree as our farrier is quite happy to leave shoes off and will say "that one doesn't need shoes" and is quite happy to just come out and trim them.
5. Disagree as the whole point of being barefoot is that they are "barefoot".
Common sense horsemanship comes free to those who have it but at a cost to those who don't!
Sarah

Postby JennieF » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:14 am

5. Good barefoot trimmers believe hoof protection is needed as horses increase less natural activities.

1. Disagree - both farrier and BF trimmers SHOULD have the horses best interest at heart - sadly they dont always...
2. ohhhhh - there may be cases where shoeing is necc but I find them hard to justify when there are alternatives, and if shoeing is necc is what we are asking of them more than is morally acceptable .....
3. Agree
4. they do believe in what they are doing and some of them do see the benefits in BF time ..... whether their beliefs are right or not is open to debate but it is v interesting to see how many farriers are converting to BF and although the cynic in me says it may sometimes be because they can see the money to be made and how much easier the job is !!! most of them seem to have genuinely seen the light !!!
5. Disagree - Not necc although personally I do use boots to allow me to do more than my horses feet are ready to cope with - is that wrong ???
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby M-E » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:56 am

Chevalblanc wrote:
1. Both farriers and barefoot trimmers have the horse's best interest at heart.

Intresting aricle Helen, he's is right why it has be balck or white :roll:

1, all farriers and trimmers should have the horses best intrest but some do not and on both sides
2, in theory yes all horses can go barefoot BUT some take a hell of a lot of work, care and time to get there and not everybody has the time and intrest, so shoes are fine
3, Yes even in the old days it was pratice to turn the horse away for a few months and take the shoes off to let the hooves rest and recover from shoeing
4, Eductated farriers have the best intrest of the horse at heart, and have studied barefoot theory as well as shod
5, yes, nothing wrong in hoof boots, it takes the hoof three times as long to increase in strenght as body muscle so if you up your training the body will be there long before the hooves,
M-E

Postby JennieF » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:34 am

Interesting last point M-E - it was v evident last year when I did the Trans with Bandit that his body was fit enough but his hooves were not - he did get a bit sore after 4 days and developed quite impressive flares a couple of months later as the damage became apparent and that was with wearing hoof boots - they do protect to a certain extent but cannot take the place of proper preparation ..... this year I should have enough time to get his feet properly fit and will not be starting from a base point of a hrose that has just spent x months standing in a stable :thumbdown:
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby Chevalblanc » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:46 am

Sarah wrote:2. Agree as not all horses can cope with being barefoot so need to be shod.

Afraid I don't agree with that, any horse can go barefoot (with the correct conditions/lifestyle/feeding/exercise), but not every owner can!!

JennieF wrote:Not necc although personally I do use boots to allow me to do more than my horses feet are ready to cope with - is that wrong ???

Why would that be wrong? That's exactly why people shoe, after all!!!
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Next

Return to Feet