A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Grazing muzzles

Re: Grazing muzzles

Postby Chevalblanc » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:59 pm

Fixed it - with a bit of string ;-) Headcollar and muzzle are both fine, it's just the bit that connects them together that needs some work......I suppose they don't want to make them too strong in case a horse gets caught up, but Tari could easily break the plastic of the muzzle bit if she needed to, she's sooo strong.
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby littlewhitehorse » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:30 pm

It's that time of year again, when piling on the weight becomes a worry :roll: I had managed to keep Fina in reasonable shape for the last 3 months but as the winter coat comes off, the inches go on...

I hate the idea of a muzzle and I know she will hate it too, but it would slow her down, she eats more and takes fewer rests than Lucie! Has anyone tried the one from Kramer? Might give it a go as I am ordering other stuff.
littlewhitehorse

Postby Trudi » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:36 pm

I've avoided using one so far because the latest research seemed to show that they can eat up to 3 times as much when you take them off so you almost have to keep them on permanently to get any result. The mini pone at the yard has lami again (she has PPID) following removal of hers- previously she was out at night with it on and in with hay during the day. It is a bloody worry this time of year.
Trudi

Postby Tess and Organza » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:18 pm

Netty was enormous when I went up this evening, the hugest grass tummy Ive seen on her for ages :shock: So the muzzle is on for the night!! Im not too worried asthe grass is nice and dry and at least shes trekking about at last. I agree that they tend to stuff when the muzzel is not on, but Im hoping I can dose it a bit, so hard to know what to do. My instinct is that a big dry grass area will be healthier than a small stressed grass area or restricted movement. Crossing everything, its worth a try!
Tess and Organza

Postby Chevalblanc » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:39 am

Haven't got the muzzles out here yet as G and Tari aren't too enormous. As Tess says, them being in a huge field and moving a lot, plus not feeling deprived so not feeling the need to stuff their faces constantly, seems to be keeping them a reasonable size. We are going to cut the field in half though and get them ad lib hay.......
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby Tess and Organza » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:30 pm

so far so good chez nous. Im not offering hay until theres nothing to eat and hopefully by then it will have become dry enough to abandon Nettys muzzle. I will have got a paddocked area sorted before the autumn regain and intend to keep her in there on hay at night and out in the day muzzled from early morning untill late as I am now really wary of restricting movement. If I can manage a track system even better. Im determined not to let them get obese this winter too, and will make sure they dont stand around doing nothing for two months when they are home. Thinking up plans to keep them busy :)
Tess and Organza

Postby littlewhitehorse » Tue May 02, 2017 7:33 pm

Thanks for the feedback ladies :thumbup: and glad it's going well so far Tess :-D I think a track system even if it's a mini one that keeps them moving is the best idea, going to see if I can sort something out. They are in the three small fields with the passage down to the shed and water, and they do move a lot more when they are there than in the big field.
littlewhitehorse

Previous

Return to Feeding