A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

How much hay to feed

How much hay to feed

Postby littlewhitehorse » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:11 pm

So after the vet's comments on Fina being too fat, I have been giving them a bit less hay. The field they are in is bare so they haven't much to do all day, and in the cold and wet weather I gave them plenty, a full small hole hay net each at night, and a bit on the ground each morning. I have a hanging scale in the shed. They were getting about 12 - 14 kilos of hay at night in each net, and this was always gone in the morning. I have reduced this to under 10 kilos now. At night they get a chopped apple and carrot with a handful of no-sugar beet pulp and a handful of Alpha-A, so Lucie can have her turmeric.

How much hay should ponies living out need? Does anyone else weigh their hay or know how much you feed your horses in winter?

I know exercise is necessary but in winter it's hard to do much.
littlewhitehorse

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: How much hay to feed

Postby M-E » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:12 am

I seem to remember that it is 1.5 to 2% of body weight but then you have add in how good your hay is, do they have access to grass and how good that is :hmmm:

I have no idea how much I give the boys in weight these days, one year I had small bales which weighed on average 14kgs, the three (Teepy, Bretty & Moss) had two bales a day between them. a big round is lasting the boys about two and half weeks, which is about 300kgs (I think!) divide by 14 is 22kgs a day so on that they have 10kgs each which is 1.5% of body weight :shock: :lol: but they do have a 1 hectare field which apart from the really cold spell keeps slowly growing :thumbup:
M-E

Postby Chevalblanc » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:20 am

6 of ours have a big round bale and they get through it in about a week, they really don't need it but we have no choice :? If it were up to me I'd just give them a bit every day, since they have a 15 acre field to mooch round......and even when it looks like there's no grass, they still find plenty to nibble and given the size of them there clearly is enough to eat! The only other thing they get is a handful of Thunderbrooks chaff to put turmeric & G's Agnus Castus in....
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby M-E » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:50 am

This doing the rounds on FB

https://forageplus.co.uk/horse-talk-issue-12

I have only read a bit of it so far, not the lightest of reading :lol: but might have some useful info
M-E

Postby Trudi » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:34 am

Always tricky because you don't want them to be without- I don't know about your part of the world but it's not been anywhere near as harsh this winter and mine are coming out of it with more condition than usual :hmmm:
Trudi

Postby M-E » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:31 am

I also found this very interesting

http://thenaturallyhealthyhorse.com/fee ... sy-keeper/

I always feed my boys a small of its & mins balancer and they do look fab (if I say so myself :lol: ) Brett has also lost weight they are now both 640 kgs Tiky doe shave the big belly but then he has big ribs an has done diddly swat for ages :lol:
M-E

Postby FlorayG » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:40 pm

The formula is 1.5% of the bodyweight THAT YOU WANT THEM TO BE.
So 10kg of hay will be correct for about 720kg of horse is that right? That's total weight of however many horses are sharing it of course :wink: - so what's your weight of horse?
It always looks such a small amount. I used to put Kitty's in three haynets one inside the other so she could only get one strand at a time.
You can also reduce the calories in it by soaking it for 20 minutes before feeding

Hang on hang on I've just re-read your post - you're giving them 10kg EACH?! What are they, Shire horses? :eek:
FlorayG

Postby M-E » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:29 pm

As I missed the edit time out rewriting my post correctly :rofl:

M-E wrote:I also found this very interesting

http://thenaturallyhealthyhorse.com/fee ... sy-keeper/

I always feed my boys a small amount of vits & mins balancer and they do look fab (if I say so myself :lol: ) Brett has also lost weight they are now both 740 kgs Tiky does have the big belly but then he has big ribs and has done diddly swat for ages :lol:
M-E

Postby M-E » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:13 pm

Sheila, just a thought but are you sure your scales are working properly? I took my suitcase scales up to the barn tonight and stuffed a big hay net, and I could only get 6kgs in, you would need a net the size of Trudi's new one for 14kgs, may be hang a couple of bags of flour off it and see what it says
M-E

Postby M-E » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:17 pm

FlorayG wrote:
Hang on hang on I've just re-read your post - you're giving them 10kg EACH?! What are they, Shire horses? :eek:

YES THEY ARE :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: or Rather a Breton Trait and a Cob Normand :-D
M-E

Next

Return to Feeding