A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

How much hay to feed

Re: How much hay to feed

Postby FlorayG » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:20 pm

M-E wrote:YES THEY ARE :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: or Rather a Breton Trait and a Cob Normand :-D

Duh - OK then 10kg is about right. But 14kg is way over so until recently you have been overfeeding them I think
FlorayG

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby M-E » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:20 pm

FlorayG wrote:
M-E wrote:YES THEY ARE :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: or Rather a Breton Trait and a Cob Normand :-D

Duh - OK then 10kg is about right. But 14kg is way over so until recently you have been overfeeding them I think

I haven't been feeding them 14kgs well maybe on a couple of nights it was -8c, now it has warmed up they are probably on 8kgs each a day :-D

Maybe you got mixed up with this "one year I had small bales which weighed on average 14kgs, the three (Teepy, Bretty & Moss) had two bales a day between them" Teepy was 500kg, Bretty 800kgs Moss 750kgs. Total 2050 kgs so 28 kgs of hay not over the top :lol:

Also Littlewhitehorses started the thread on how much she fed her horses
M-E

Postby Tess and Organza » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:13 pm

Mine probably get too much hay...they are all rather chunky...kyrie is a chubster...and they have no proper exercise.
This situation here could only work as Helen did it, as in if they were getting out, as the paddock is very small and now all dirt. Helen popped up some haynets when she was over as she used to do for hers,which gave them something to do for longer, untill Ganza pulled the tree down... :lol:
I'm not hugely worried tbh as the hay I have is such crap I have to let them pick over the best of it. All this will be changing shortly :wink:
Next year they will be home only beg. sept to end.december so will live on whats struggled up in the paddock which will keep them occupied and I also want to construct some net feeders which stay in place and I fill at night. Hopefully Kiki won't be so fat if she's out and about more.
In three weeks time they will be back on grass ( not Netty obviously :shock: ) ideally Id rather no hay but dont think its good to do an abrupt change so for the first week they will go on gradually then no hay at all...and exercise!! :roll:
But its not been all bad, they are all very healthy and happy and having them close to me is the best. I'm hoping that it will be possible to have some weeks with them here all through the summer, no reason why not as Eric and I can always hack over then hack back the following week, it will keep the paddock mowed and keep Netty happy, keep the herd intact, me included :wink:
Tess and Organza

Postby Chevalblanc » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:08 pm

Tess and Organza wrote: I'm hoping that it will be possible to have some weeks with them here all through the summer, no reason why not as Eric and I can always hack over then hack back the following week, it will keep the paddock mowed and keep Netty happy, keep the herd intact, me included :wink:

Exactly what we used to do in the summer, bring them over every now and again to eat it all down again....
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby littlewhitehorse » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:48 pm

Thanks for all the posts and input. The linked articles were interesting. I have no idea of the nutritional content of our hay, which is from our fields and a mixture of rough grasses, herbs, etc., no added fertilizers. I give them a mineral supplement.

M-E, you may be right about the inaccuracy of the scales.

I read another article http://www.equinechronicle.com/obesity-in-horses-the-real-cause-the-real-fix/, it is advocating ad-lib hay on the grounds that limiting food causes stress causes fat storage... I have seen horses on unlimited hay and they may not be stressed but they were very fat :lol:

I didn't realise soaking hay reduces the calories; does it reduce nutrition and minerals - surely some of those are water-soluble?

I think exercise is key and will get them going out again asap. A track system would be great but I can't see getting that organised.
littlewhitehorse

Postby Tess and Organza » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:04 am

I actually agree with the fat storage on limiting hay, howard and I also talked about the vile humour of hungry horses...poor buggers are programmed to be stressed if denied food, we all are! But they are designed to constantly browse or at least have the possibility via availability or freedom to trek. Mine can do neither of those. Better a fat, not obese, warm happy horse in winter than thin and miserable.
Yes, soaking removes minerals and vitamins as well as sugar, you need to give a sup to lami ponies if soaking long term. Its not a great thing to do unless really needed for lami cases to avoid sugar spikes.
Tess and Organza

Postby Trudi » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:29 am

When mine are in they have ad-lib, hence the huge net for Moo :lol: I really have no idea of the weight that I feed and never have and in fact can't remember the last time I saw any scales. I just never want to turn up at 6.30 to find them without any hay. When the grass perks up and they are out 24/7 by the end of March they won't really look at hay even if I put it in the barn for them they rarely touch any.
Trudi

Previous

Return to Feeding