A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

A* or See Me After Class?

Re: A* or See Me After Class?

Postby spottygiraffe » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:22 pm

I agree that noone should try CT unless they are really into the idea and know how it works. There are so many different ways of doing things even in the clicker world that I find it quite overwhelming sometimes.

You made some really good points, Sheila. It's great to have an opposing viewpoint -or perhaps opposing is too strong a word, but certainly good to have the opinion of someone who has seen some CT in action and has decided it is not for them. As for Lucie not being motivated by food rewards, I would pick up on what Trudi said about needing a bridge signal (click or buzz word) to go with it otherwise it just doesn't work. I have always hand fed her food when we have been working but it was only when I started clicking in a structured way that it got Isba's attention.

I find it works for all three of mine and they have different horsenalities -I would love to be able to say that it works for all horses but of course i don't know that. I just can't imagine a horse that it wouldn't work for if done properly.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Trudi » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:10 pm

Sarah has made lots of sense already so I won't say too much but just to remember that CT is only a method of linking a behaviour to a cue/signal. It has no methodology in terms of how to teach shoulder in/flexions/transitions etc but I'm quite surprised by the lack of knowledge (not folks here but a very well known trainer I heard at the weekend) regarding the way CT works, people seem to feel you will be forever clicking :rofl: which is absolutely untrue. Once I trained Chaps to put his nose enthusiastically into a headcollar I stopped clicking and just use the verbal cue 'in' or the physical one of holding it in front of his nose, life would be pretty dull for them if you kept CT'ing the same stuff.

OK promise not to mention it again :lol:
Trudi

Postby spottygiraffe » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:02 pm

Trudi wrote:Sarah has made lots of sense already

Well there's always a first time for everything :lol:

Trudi wrote:OK promise not to mention it again

I know, I feel like I go on about it, but it is hard not to when it has become so integral to my training.

Trudi wrote: I'm quite surprised by the lack of knowledge (not folks here but a very well known trainer I heard at the weekend) regarding the way CT works,

I presumed that trainer did understand it because she has a whole section devoted to CT on her forum :?

Think maybe we should have a clicker thread so we can bang on about it on there, T ;)
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby fabikat » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:16 am

yes, please start a clicker thread.

I think Fabi would be an A student. Tries very hard but easily distracted.
katy x
fabikat

Previous

Return to Gymnastic training