A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

The yellow pony......

The yellow pony......

Postby Chevalblanc » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:54 pm

OK so today, Ali had a flatwork lesson with Missy, and was told to play with the contact and try to get her to stop bracing against it. There was quite a lot of arguing, mainly because I think Ali was trying too hard and was bracing herself too......so we had quite a lot of this:

with the odd moment of this:

Have got some vid clips, the last bit is transitions practise, the walk/canter at the end was her best. Comments and advice please!

Saddle is too far forwards, I think.
Last edited by Chevalblanc on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling!
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: The yellow pony......

Postby Tanya » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:39 pm

Ali's face was real determination...as she did great. :thumbup:
Tanya

Postby Trudi » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:56 pm

Agree about the saddle, meant to say something last time but forgot. It's difficult to teach both a human and an equine the art of soft bend when neither is yet proficient so hats off to the teacher and Ali for trying. It's one of the things that originally made me question the whole contact thing in the first place because it isn't easy to 'elastically' :roll: 'fix' :lol: your hands and ask the horse to work to it, in spite of what some amateur dressage riders may say when they regurgitate the manual. The easier way is to achieve it 'scientifically' i.e. lateral bend creates longitudinal bend = on the bit =round = back able to move correctly. In other words, keep some weight into your outside stirrup before asking for some inside bend with the inside rein (opening the inside rein usually works so long as you don't end up leaning that way too, hence the weight in to the outside stirrup). The outside rein should be allowed forward as much as the feel you are taking on the inside (but don't throw away the o/s rein) otherwise you just block them and get the grimace from Fina and Ali :lol: once she bends laterally (to the inside or you can bend to the outside just change the weight/rein) you will feel her release over her topline. The art is to ask with a light feel of the fingers and to give just as you think she is about to soften so that there is never a tug of war. The other thing I would be doing is the bit flexion work teaching Fina that a feathered finger on the rein means relax the jaw, takes a while with some of them but be patient.
It's quite a big ask for Ali and I think she's doing really well thus far :thumbup:
Trudi

Postby Chevalblanc » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:09 pm

Trudi wrote:It's quite a big ask for Ali and I think she's doing really well thus far :thumbup:

Me too. Going to find the time to do the flexion work in hand with her, agree it will take a lot of time, the dreaded G word has been mentioned, I said no!!!!

How do we stop the saddle moving forward though? Can't see her being happy about a crupper. She's got no wither and tends to be downhill, tricky one. Don't like to girth up too tight though, something Gandalf taught me early on ;)
Helen

Chevalblanc

Postby HighJinx » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:18 pm

:thumbup: They look much more together now and its all calmer :goodjob:
HighJinx

Postby JennieF » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:16 am

Def some nice moments there Helen - I think if she can give the rein a little when Fina gives and give her a little scratch on the withers it might help her to understand - def comes easier when she is on a turn which is I guess because it causes lateral flexion - getting Ali doing lots of small figure of 8s might help and def using her voice - a little 'good' every time Fina gives will help - I can def see a dressage horse in the making ...... of course the short-cut quick method (in the old days) would have been a set of draw reins for a session or 2 to 'show' her what you want but I'm not suggesting you do that as -
1. I'll get shot :wall:
2. Ali is not experienced enough to use them :hide:

3. we are not into 'gadgets' are we ....

So flexions it is ........ I'm pretty much at the same point with Bandit but I think you will get there first as she doesnt seem v argumentative just not quite understanding

PS "Like" the intructor a lot - "Caresse la forte" :thumbup: :thumbup:
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby poneysPie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:02 am

I love the way Ali & Fina's expressions match in the photos. That happens to me too, I have some cracking photo's where we both have really pissed off matching expressions - excellent examples of mirroring :lol

Trudi wrote:The other thing I would be doing is the bit flexion work teaching Fina that a feathered finger on the rein means relax the jaw, takes a while with some of them but be patient.

It can take a long while, I speak from experience ;)

Trudi wrote:It's quite a big ask for Ali and I think she's doing really well thus far

:agree: I found it a big enough challenge for me as an adult ;)

You are best to hid behind that :wall: Mrs Free - "Draw Reins" indeed - never mind 'shot', you'll be burnt at the stake :lol:
“Ask often; be content with little, praise a great deal.” (Nuno Oliveira)
poneysPie

Postby Trudi » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:03 am

JennieF wrote:.
1. I'll get shot :wall:
2. Ali is not experienced enough to use them :hide:

3. we are not into 'gadgets' are we ....

No shooting allowed :lol: will start another thread for it though as it's an interesting conundrum.
Trudi

Postby Chevalblanc » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:32 pm

Found this bit of vid from 18 months ago, when we went to see Seraphina and thought we were saying goodbye, some of you were there.......

Helen

Chevalblanc

Postby Trudi » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:43 pm

Oh err it's that lean back French stuff.
Trudi

Next

Return to Gymnastic training