A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

a little improvement

a little improvement

Postby fabikat » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:51 pm

It's been a long while since I tried any inhand work with Fabi, but today we had a small breakthrough :)
We had another attempt today and we actually managed to get walking forwards and do some circley-shaped things and an attempt at ly.
Nothing was done technically correctly I just did what worked for us, so I now have another book to add to my list, the 'oliver hilberger' one I think you all spoke about.
here's the vid, nothing spectacular but a first for us, so any help gratefully received

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTz4uY4o ... e=youtu.be
katy x
fabikat

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: a little improvement

Postby Chevalblanc » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:07 am

Well done, Katy, you can see that he's anxious about groundwork but there were a few moments there when he relaxed and started thinking about it....... :D

Thought I might move this thread to the Gymnastic training thread if that's OK?
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby fabikat » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:21 am

ok, thanks Helen, probably better off there and it will be easier to find again if I want to add and do updates :)

I guess I need to just do a few minutes work with him occasionally, not putting on the pressure too much, but spending more time on it each time he is feeling more confident about it. This was a huge step forward for us, literally. He has always wanted to whip round and face me before. :blink:

have you tried any more with G? It was thanks to your video that I was inspired to have another go ;)
katy x
fabikat

Postby Chevalblanc » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:35 am

fabikat wrote:I guess I need to just do a few minutes work with him occasionally, not putting on the pressure too much, but spending more time on it each time he is feeling more confident about it.

:thumbup:

have you tried any more with G?

Haven't had a chance yet, hopefully sometime this week.........

Have moved the thread :D
Helen

Chevalblanc

Postby spottygiraffe » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:08 am

I would say an absolutely enormous improvement -you know you can do it now :hurray:

Loved the way he understands how you want him to move away from you. I was wondering if the LY might be improved even more if you looked up and over a bit more -I got the feeling that you were looking too far forward and even down sometimes. He was really flexing his hock in the GVs (I wouldn't have noticed that a few weeks ago, but I am trying to be more observant!). They looked better when you had less inside bend. There were times when he was overbending -Isba does that if I overcook the outside rein -but there were some lovely bits where his nose was just in front of the vertical and his head was still.

You two could be sensational at this!
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Trudi » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:50 am

:hurray: good work Katy, that is one huge improvement and Fabi is looking :love: as always.
It's so hard with the really sensitive ones because they react from the tiniest hint but you're doing very well and it will get easier.
Trudi

Postby littlewhitehorse » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:35 pm

:thumbup: Love your "circley-shaped things" :lol: :lol:
littlewhitehorse

Postby fabikat » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:51 pm

thanks for the encouragement everyone :)

I can't help but say again how big a thing this was for us yesterday. It has really spurred me on to attempt more now I know it IS possible
I have know idea how you should hold the reins or position yourself or give cues or anything, yesterday was just our bumbled attempt once I found I had some forwards motion, so I am now inspired and hence the need for some books, info etc.

Can we start a thread that allows people to recommend books :?: It will make it easier to refer to if you don't make the note of a recommendation when you read it in another thread.
I seem to be amassing a list of books I am wanting to buy

with regards the PK videos, do you recommend as a visual learning tool anyone :?:
katy x
fabikat

Postby Chevalblanc » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:20 pm

fabikat wrote:
Can we start a thread that allows people to recommend books :?:

Go ahead and start one, we have a book section.......

I have the first of the PK vids, it's really useful. Must dig it out and rewatch the in hand stuff.....
Helen

Chevalblanc

Postby Trudi » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:03 pm

I have know idea how you should hold the reins or position yourself or give cues or anything, yesterday was just our bumbled attempt once I found I had some forwards motion, so I am now inspired and hence the need for some books, info etc.

I've always felt that you can get bogged down with dogma in these things, there are some principles that are proven to work but some people's physique just doesn't make it easy to adopt every classical position. I think you did very well based on no knowledge Katy so keep working it through! The PK vids are great and definitely good to learn from if you learn visually; they are expensive but you could always resell them to fund the next learning project.
Trudi

Next

Return to Gymnastic training