A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

a little improvement

Re: a little improvement

Postby fabikat » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:02 am

Thank you Helen and Trudi,
I doubt I will do the ID baroque this month Helen as I hate having to invent my own test, and also lack of time doesnt help. I will aim for the next one.
Trudi, I think he may have less tension when I use the serreta with just a lead rope but I find it harder to direct him and keep him straight. I usually start him with the lead rope and then move on to the reins.
Are there exercises to help with the tension in the topline or maybe with more exposure to working inhand he will lose some of it?
katy x
fabikat

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby spottygiraffe » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:49 pm

fabikat wrote:Are there exercises to help with the tension in the topline or maybe with more exposure to working inhand he will lose some of it?

Have you tried massage? It's hard because once they get tense it's very hard to get them to relax again. I thought in general he looked really calm and occassionally lost his focus but it looks as if you two have been working on this for a long time, not a pair of newbies. I thought it was great. When you get the book you will progress even quicker. Oh, and I particularly liked the in-hand -I think he was paying more attention to you than on the lunge.

What time of day was it? The road behind you seemed so busy!
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Chevalblanc » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:27 pm

spottygiraffe wrote:Have you tried massage?

Can recommend the Masterson stuff, seems to have helped Sky be less tense.....another good book that I use stuff from is Know Your Horse Inside Out by Sarah Fisher, it's TTouch massage but also lots of exercises to improve balance and promote relaxation. You can pick it up second hand on Amazon for about a fiver.
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby Trudi » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:09 am

fabikat wrote:
Trudi, I think he may have less tension when I use the serreta with just a lead rope but I find it harder to direct him and keep him straight. I usually start him with the lead rope and then move on to the reins.
Are there exercises to help with the tension in the topline or maybe with more exposure to working inhand he will lose some of it?

You can use the lead rope/cavesson (or in your case serreta) and just teach him to move away with the shoulder (as you were in the LY) and this will help straighten him, try never to use the hand to slow down as this can cause loss of shoulder/1/4's but instead use your energy (look at where you want to go and bring directing energy up from the solar plexus and grounding/steady energy down through your feet) and go with it.
Use the head lowering (work on SI on a circle and gradually allow the nose forwards down and out) so that at any time you can change the posture into a stretch and then back up for work. it is difficult as fabi is already trained so you don't want him to be blobbling along on the forehand like a baby but you do need the stretch and release over the back.

Sorry all brief as writing Xmas cards, or rather supposed to be!!!
Trudi

Postby fabikat » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:11 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone, :thumbup:

Sarah, cant remember what time of day it was,sometime in the afternoon I think. It can get pretty busy at times.

I havent ever done massage. Tbh another thing that interests me but is there ever enough time in the day?
The book sounds worth looking at Helen. Something for next year, I think.

Thanks for the help Trudi. Gives me something else to be mulling over and working with. Need to decide how I want to be working him. I like the idea of using reins rather than the leadrope because (in my little head) it makes it seem more 'baroque' which I like :wink:

And yes, I now have my book :hurray:
katy x
fabikat

Postby littlewhitehorse » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:09 pm

Thanks for the video :thumbup: Nice to watch. Had to :lol: when you suddenly "disappeared" at about 1' in, but then got used to you jumping around, with the edits. Fabi certainly knows the steps! I thought it looked tighter when you were in the bridle than with the lunge line. The lunging is going really well now, nice changes of direction and pace. I think your body language looked pretty good in the video, calm and clear and focused. Much tidier than mine!
littlewhitehorse

Postby fabikat » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:57 pm

Thanks for the thumbs up on my body language Sheila. This is all so new to me but I am so enjoying it. I am watching heaps of videos on yt about groundwork and using what appeals to me and seeing what works for us.

Yesterday at the end of our session I set him free but stayed in the corral with him to see his reaction. Previously he would have stuck two fingers up at me (well, hooves actually) and departed rather rapidly with no desire to interact. Well, 'chuffed' is all I can say. I was able to gain his attention and he followed me around a little and I even managed to send him round me a couple of times in a small circle and we left it at that. All done in my own fashion but boy was I pleased. Such a small thing but huge for us, so different to the horse I had three years ago when I began back riding him.
I may have some on video but depends if the camera angle picked us up......
katy x
fabikat

Previous

Return to Gymnastic training