A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Starting over from scratch....

Starting over from scratch....

Postby Tess and Organza » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:46 am

First of all, big Thankyou again for the positive response to my last thread :hug: it is :thumbup:

What I'd like to know is how you'd begin if you were me :xmasshock: :xmasgrin:

Organza, already knows basics in allowing herself to be moved about,both in hand and at liberty, is polite to work with unless she's not ( :xmaslaugh: ) ie marey mood. At liberty we can control paces by energy movement of my body, can turn both directions, can stop, can depart from standing to canter, in hand she knows basic things to voice like stepping backing up when you think back up, moving her quarters and shoulder away from you and sometimes I can get her to come in with shoulder or quarters if I gently 'draw her' sort of move my body backwards by tiny degrees, I kind of visualise pulling her towards me and often she obliges bless her. She's not done anything at all for five weeks.... :oops: last work was a ride out...
My goal with her is to help her to carry herself well, and to lift her forehand, and to encourage her to form a deeper secure bond with me, not just the crazy love we have at present where she doesn't always listen.

Kyriane, doesn't know much at all and appears to have gone feral :random:
my goal is to tame her again :xmaslaugh: no, it's to give her some flexibility as she's quite stiff, she's one of those stiff neck stress types...and I would like to teach her to use her brain, I think there must be one in there but it's probably about the size of a walnut... :xmasshock:

Netty knows everything but often chooses to be rather naughty...doesn't know as much as Ganz about liberty work, very good for long reining though as Nicky said :thumbup:
my goal with her is keep her flexi as she's getting older now and also continue her working bond with us rather than abandon her to retirement and never being asked anything that engages her grey matter! I don't want her to get equine alkheimers...

So, if you were me and had to peice together what to do, what be the first thing you'd do with each pony?
I'm going to try to do it right this time :xmaswink:
Tess and Organza

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Starting over from scratch....

Postby Tess and Organza » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:39 am

OK.....I get the message...get on with it woman! :xmaseyes: :xmaswink:
Tess and Organza

Postby fabikat » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:06 pm

sorry tess, I would try and help and make suggestions but I know zilch about inhand/groundwork.
I am sure someone will be along to offer something shortly. :xmassmile:
katy x
fabikat

Postby Trudi » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:18 pm

Sorry Tess I've been working and am knackered but once I've eaten and had a shower I'll be back :xmasgrin:
Trudi

Postby spottygiraffe » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:08 pm

I expect everyone is rushed off their feet if my day has been anything to judge it by! I haven't got much time now either but knowing how good you are at massage, that might be a good place to start with all three of them. You could then let it evolve into some stretches and flexions -I will find you some links for flexions and for horse yoga. Do you want to do any clicker training or are you keen to go down a more NH route? What is floating your boat at the moment? I have lots of ideas but it would be useful to know if you are clicking or not.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Tess and Organza » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:53 pm

:xmaswink: sorry hope I didn't sound all kind of demanding :xmaslaugh:
Started today by giving them all a thorough pampering and getting myself fully back in touch with them through my hands and voice. Bit shocked to realise that Ganz has dropped alot of weight :cry: doubled up her hay rations. Really pleased how lovely and hard and healthy their hooves are despite so many weeks of mud :thumbup:
Tomorrow after work I will start just a little bit of the clickering we all ready know. And take it from there. Yes still loving the clicker and positive renf angle to things, please feel free to help me :xmasgrin: :hurray:
Tess and Organza

Postby Trudi » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:48 pm

Starting with touch/massage is a great plan :thumbup:
It's good to start with an overall plan of where you want to end up. Gymnastic work to help Ganz use herself correctly will bring along with it a better bond, the two are inextricably linked; reach into the body and you reach into the emotions too. So as an example you could say you would like to train her to bring her shoulder fore on a circle. What basics would you need to get to this goal? Inside flexion, controllable energy, ability to influence the inside hind etc....
Take any one of those basics and extrapolate, so controllable energy requires stopping and starting to be on perfect cue, it needs a solid 'accelerator/decelerator' so that you can (without causing/increasing any tension) bring the energy up and drop it down...

There are some things that you can train in only a very few minutes a day and again the massage would help. Standing calmly, breathing, head lowering etc all good for shorter sessions.

Really it is just endless :xmasgrin:
Trudi

Postby littlewhitehorse » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:51 pm

Didn't see this thread until now, not sure how that happened... Well it is a huge question and massage sounds a good start and just touching, grooming, handling them will build that connection with your horses again. Be interesting to know how they behave towards you as you start over; that should tell you what you need to do.

Tess and Organza wrote:Kyriane, doesn't know much at all and appears to have gone feral :random:
my goal is to tame her again :xmaslaugh: no, it's to give her some flexibility as she's quite stiff, she's one of those stiff neck stress types...and I would like to teach her to use her brain, I think there must be one in there but it's probably about the size of a walnut... :xmasshock:

My impression with Kyrie is that she is a horse that needs to think before she moves her feet; that doesn't mean she's not using her brain, far from it; she seemed fairly introverted when I met her, was quiet and tense; just stood and summed me up then decided I was ok and could be trusted, and she was willing to follow me (under the tape). Hard to imagine her "going feral"...how is she behaving?

Hope it goes well. I'm sure we'll all have more to add as you report progress. :xmasgrin:
littlewhitehorse

Postby Chevalblanc » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:14 pm

From my brief acquaintance of Kyrie the other week, she reminds me of Ches a bit, tuned out to people because she's never really got much out of her interactions with them in the past, so she'd rather ignore them and eat grass, thanks. I would work on reengagîng her interest and spending time reinforcing the "ground rules" gently but firmly, like we did with Ches after Susan's visit (I wrote it up here, page 5: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=188&start=40)
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby spottygiraffe » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:03 pm

Great stuff from Sheila, Trudi and Helen :thumbup:

I totally agree about writing a plan for each of them -or if not a plan as such, a few goals. They could be as simple as building your relationship and respecting each other's space. Could be in-hand or ridden, but with Ganza I can imagine the goal posts could be set a bit further and that ridden work would be an appealing prospect. I think it might help you to take the pressue off yourself though and don't be thinking about achieving 2-hour long hacks on your own, but more like sitting on for ten minutes in a confined environment (your new sand school?) and having lovely light cues for walk on and halt. Something that has really helped me with Iz is having a head down cue that I clickered in. Apparently it releases endorphins and they find it harder to stress out if their heads are down, so if you can make it a nice place for them to be then you are really helping yourself.I have spent ages just sitting on her back and massaging her neck and clickering when she's relaxed. Angus has sometimes opened the kitchen window and heckled me :xmaslaugh: I know I'm not getting anywhere fast, but I feel that you are in that place too where you don't mind spending ages over the little things.

Kyrie is like Squaw -she has shut down a bit but she can be opened up very easily and then I think you'll find she's a cracker.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Return to Gymnastic training