A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

New Kid on the Block

Re: New Kid on the Block

Postby littlewhitehorse » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:35 pm

:thumbup: that you and Toto got it together! Hope it works out with Candy, we will be demanding photos :lol:
littlewhitehorse

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Trudi » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:37 pm

Oh sounds serious with Candy! Hope it goes well.
Trudi

Postby Chevalblanc » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:55 pm

Not the ideal name for a pony :wink: :lol:
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby Late Starter » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:28 pm

WP_20150805_17_46_49_Pro (640x360).jpg
WP_20150805_17_46_49_Pro (640x360).jpg (197.78 KiB) Viewed 166 times

WP_20150805_17_19_05_Pro (640x360).jpg
WP_20150805_17_19_05_Pro (640x360).jpg (155.34 KiB) Viewed 166 times

WP_20150805_17_18_21_Pro (640x360).jpg
WP_20150805_17_18_21_Pro (640x360).jpg (167.41 KiB) Viewed 166 times

WP_20150805_16_57_07_Pro (640x360).jpg
WP_20150805_16_57_07_Pro (640x360).jpg (214.18 KiB) Viewed 166 times

Some piccies of Candy.
If Katherine flapped her legs anymore, she might have taken off. Candy was on a go slow tonight.
Late Starter

Postby Late Starter » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:56 pm

There has been a good dynamic between Katherine and Candy so far over this loan week. Katherine has been getting progressively more positive work out of Candy both in flatwork and jumping. Walking back down the hill after turning Candy out at the end of this evening's session, Katherine commented that she thought that there was a lot of hard work involved in having a pony permanently. Perhaps the most important lesson of the week has been learned?
Late Starter

Postby Late Starter » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:17 pm

Loan week finished wit h an dintermediate lesson with the irrepressable Tracey. Katherine ended up jumping 2' on Candy without batting an eye. Now off to Tenerife for a fortnight. I have found a Brit owned yard that does hacks in the foothills of mount Teide. Given the strength of sterling against the Euro, I have taken the plunge and booked us on a 2 hour hack. Always a bit doubtful about riding centres in tourist areas, but felt it rude not to try it out.
Late Starter

Postby spottygiraffe » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:08 pm

Lovely, lovely pony. Lucky Catherine.

Have fun on Holiday!
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Late Starter » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:45 am

Just back from Tenerife. The riding centre was pretty good. I shared some piccies from the hack in FB at https://www.facebook.com/14824043857735 ... =1&theater
The centre's website is
http://www.horseridingintenerife.com/nav/Index
K was on Calimero (a Lusitano X Spanish, I think) and I was on Mio. Both were well mannered and responsive (the horses, I mean). Rob and Sara also gave me a bit of an insight into the economics of their business. For example, fodder has to be imported to the island and so costs about four times what you would expect to pay in the UK. About 95% of their business is holiday makers with some expat livery and lessons making up the rest. Managing the school is tricky because the local volcanic sand packs down very hard. Even with daily harrowing, the surface is harder than you would expect to find in the UK. The landing zone round the jumps has to have extra harrowing to keep it safe. Some of the local flora is a problem as well. Bitter Spurge is endemic in the south of the island and causes some nasty lesions if a horse with an itch rubs against it. All in all, southern Tenerife is not an ideal place to keep horses.
They take on some rescues. Surprisingly, given the lack of fodder, laminitis can be a problem. This may result from the Spanish practice of keeping horses in very small sheds with no room for exercise. If you combine this with periods of very heavy work, the inactivity seems to trigger the laminitis. I Had not heard of this before and had tended to assume that laminitis was primarily a feeding problem. Their last rescue was a laminitis pony picked up by an animal welfare charity after the owners abandoned it.
In true equestrian tradition, they were also willing to tell me a few home truths about their competitors :lol:
I would be happy to go back to them (which is the acid test, I suppose).
Late Starter

Postby Chevalblanc » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:16 pm

Looks even more dry and dusty there than at Lamotte-Beuvron for the French Championships :lol:

Movement is very important for laminitics, ask Maverick :wink:
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby Late Starter » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:17 pm

Back to the last throws of the English summer and a busy economy group with Becca, Becs, Sarah and Pollyanna. I was on Donnie. The Don is a total gent and a big boy - piccies to follow (promise). I have never ridden him in school before, only out on hacks. Lizzie had us all practicing inside and outside bend again. It is the only way to get us to keep quiet, because we are all concentrating soooo hard on what we are doing :wink: .
It took a while to find the Don's buttons for this exercise, but the key turned out to be slowing the trot down a bit more while keeping the impulsion. Once we had got the basic idea, we tried an ouside bend on teh long side with an inside bend at the ends. After that I got cocky and tried to yield off the track on to the 3/4 line and continue straight with an outside bend. I think we might have nailed it. Well, once or twice out of quite a few attempts. Encouraging feedback from Lizzie (I think) who said that I almost looked like a pro and that I nearly had the Don going in an outline.
Anyhow, Friday was fun showjumping time. K on Raffles in the 1'6" class (she came second in the jump off behind Nikki on the Don). I entered teh 2' class (eventually on Travis after soem to and fro with Polyanna, who loans him. In the end sh ehad to work so I got the ride. Katherine wanted me to enter the same class as her, but I insisted that if she wanted to ride against me, she woul dhave to join the 2' class. As it happened she drew the line at that and I ended up as the only entrant, so they bumped me up to the 2'3"/2'6" class (I was a bit hazy on exactly how high the jumps were and Lizzie wasn't saying :) . Despite a really bad ride on my part, the big T went clear. I had decided that he knew better than me what to do, so I just pointed him at the right jumps and let him get on with it. The jump off course included a couple of wicked dog-legs that foxed everybody but Porsche (yes that is the correct spelling) on Bailey. I had one fence down which put me third behind Emma on Treacle and ahead of Nikki on Donnie. Opinion was divided on bragging rights. Katherine tried to claim them for coming second as opposed to third and I tried to claim them for a higher class and beating the team that won her class. Adjudication please?
Late Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Blogs