WP_20150828_17_16_27_Pro (360x640).jpg (150.42 KiB) Viewed 180 times

WP_20150828_17_16_04_Pro (640x360).jpg
WP_20150828_17_16_04_Pro (640x360).jpg (192.13 KiB) Viewed 180 times
Late Starter

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: New Kid on the Block

Postby Chevalblanc » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:41 am

Late Starter wrote:Opinion was divided on bragging rights. Katherine tried to claim them for coming second as opposed to third and I tried to claim them for a higher class and beating the team that won her class. Adjudication please?

You spend entirely too much time bragging so Katherine gets my vote :wink:
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby Trudi » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:12 pm

Oh well girls together and all that she has mine too :wink:
Holiday pics look good. Don is a kind and handsome type- back like a hammock :lol:
Trudi

Postby Late Starter » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:34 pm

It's a conspiracy! :roll:
A very mixed ability Economy Group this week. Chloe on Bailey, Lynne (mum) on the Don, Beth on her new thoroughbred Norman (that is not a name for a horse, more appropriate for a Chancellor of the Exchequer) and Pollyanna on Maisie (a new girl). Two new horses to the school and two less experienced riders. I was on the big T (make of that what you will).
This session was more about rhythm rather than anything more "technical". It was also a good opportunity to try putting some of the things from last week into practice. In particular I was able to start thinking about keeping a bend at the canter. Last week it was all walk/trot, so a bit of a stretch there, but self imposed. Lizzie spotted what I was trying to do and gave advice. I didn't realise that I was so obvious.
Nice to have a session where I could relax and enjoy the riding.
Must get some work without reins before we all pop over to Helly's for some horse archery.
I watched Katherine's lesson today. I saw her jump a 2'6" spread on Candy. No excuse for not joining me in the bigger classes at the end of the month!
Late Starter

Postby littlewhitehorse » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:39 pm

This session was more about rhythm rather than anything more "technical".

Ah yes, something I struggle with both in spelling and application :lol: I am just not a very rhythmical person :roll:
littlewhitehorse

Postby Late Starter » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:12 am

A quiet Economy group this week. Just Sarah on Minstrel and me on the Big T. Lizzie had something more technical in mind for us this week. She put three poles lengthways down the centre line and told us that we would be riding serpentines over the poles. I looked at where the poles were placed and was struggling to see how we could ride a three loop serpentine over them. Well, it turns out that she wanted a two loop serpentine - more like a digital figure of eight. The catch was that she wanted it ridden with an inside bend a change of bend (and diagonal) going over the pole at X. For me there was plenty to think about. However after a few goes, I was starting to get myself organised. It might not have been pretty, but we were getting the elements together, including going forward from the inside leg to the outside rein to get the bend rather than trying to hold back the inside rein. This all seemed ticketyboo, but Lizzie then asked us to do the same thing at canter with a change of lead over the pole at X. It was right at the end of the lesson so we only had time for a couple of goes each. I completely failed to get the change of lead (Travis can do it, but I need to get myself organised earlier so that I ask at the right time. The positive was that, despite being on the wrong lead half the time, we were keeping a steady rhythm. At the end of the lesson Lizzie popped up on Travis to show us what she was looking for with the bend. It seems strangely rare to see an instructor in the saddle demonstrating what she is asking for. Now, why would that be the case?
Sadly there was no opportunity to do any work without reins as Minstrel can sometimes go into panic mode and Travis will put his head down and charge if given the chance. The Don might be better for work without reins and certainly seems generally unflappable.
Saturday we were at Helly's for a bit of an intro to horseback archery. A bit of a challenge as I have never picked up a bow before and, as Katherine will tell you (repeatedly :roll: ), I am not much of a horseman. While Sky was standing still, all went well. There was a bit of flinching at the sound of the bow, but not enough to affect my aim. However when we tried at the walk, I found that trying to get Sky going straight while getting by bow drill right was a bit of a challenge. We got a few shots off and then I had a go on Gandalf. He didn't give me any excuse for not getting my bow drill smooth and accurate :lol: . After that it was time for a nice hack in the woods. Sky seems much less stressy than when they were down at Lower Wick. Sh e was happy to go in front and only got worried when the others stopped and she couldn't hear them any more. She did try to tank off in the field where Helly sets up the archery run, but we sorted that out (more or less) with a canter up the slope.
Oh yes, and we ended up with two new kittens from the mad cat lady of Wotton (to replace Sharkey, who decided to run under a car the other week - at least he didn't leave us with a huge vet's bill).
Late Starter

Postby littlewhitehorse » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:54 am

:thumbup: Another convert to horseback archery :hurray:
littlewhitehorse

Postby Chevalblanc » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:48 pm

You done any more, Sheila? I notice there's a comp at Beaumont this Sunday and Jo is doing the Club 3 :thumbup:
Helen

Chevalblanc

Postby Late Starter » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:14 am

Another quiet night at the Economy Group. Just Pollyanna on Travis and I was on Donnie. Pollyanna and Lizzie were both interested in eth archery and seemed to think that the boss might go for a taster session in the indoor school. We would need to sort out which of the neds could put up with waving a funny stick about and the thwack of an arrow. We all reconed that the Don would do it but that the big T might be a bit wussy and panicky. Some of teh smaller ponies might be OK. The idea of Tommy or Lardy (the Shetland) made me laugh, but you should never underestimate the ability of small hairy ponies to carry archers.... On a related note, horde is the only word I know in English which comes from Mongolian. I believe that it is derived from ordu, meaning camp (as in tents :doh: ). Invade Europe, in these furs? I don't think so!
After the lights in the outdoor school fused during the warm up, we moved to the indoor school where only 1/3 of the lights were working (some electrical work needed, I think). Lizzie set up four poles in shallow W down the centre line and had us riding at the trot, making a loop to the right after th efirst pole, then changing diagonal and bend for the second pole followed by a loop to the left (at this point the Time Warp :cheerleader: leaped unbidden to my mind and I couldn't shift it for the rest of the lesson). For teh third pole another change of diagonal and bend for a loop to the right finishing over the last pole and going large back to the beginning. The word shambles would be an accurate description of my first attempt. By my last attempt I at least got one good change, Pollyanna was doing much better. We didn't get round to doing it at the canter (needless to say), but Lizzie will have us working towards that.
I am now plagued with a vaguely disturbing image of camp mongolian horsemen performing the Time Warp. It's just a steppe to the left...
I will go and lie down in a darkened room.
Late Starter

Postby Chevalblanc » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:31 am

Late Starter wrote: you should never underestimate the ability of small hairy ponies to carry archers....

Indeed......!

Get them interested, Alick, then we can have somewhere more civilised and closer for next year's Championships :wink:

Seriously though, if they want someone to come and help with desensitising horses, give us a shout.......also would be prepared to hie the lorry again and bring mine over for a demo (once the finances have recovered from last weekend)
Helen

Chevalblanc

PreviousNext

Return to Blogs