A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Another horse...?

Re: Another horse...?

Postby fabikat » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:52 am

Not getting much time to work Kaiser atm as the first flush of sun brings all the doggie customers screaming to my door. Did manage to video for ID last weekend incase I dont get a chance again. Had a go at the same inhand as Februrary to see if we can improve. I think as often happens some things were better and maybe some not as good but I am generally happy with it. If I have time I will have a go at ridden baroque. Had a run through it the the other day too and was pretty crap but I think we can do it a little better. Juan also started videoing late so he missed the entry, halt and salute :thumbdown: Would like to have another run through it anyway even if we dont enter :wink:

Forgot to say that I confess to not remembering to focus ahead again :oops: bad habit that need fixing. :thumbdown:
katy x
fabikat

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby spottygiraffe » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:49 pm

Must try harder, Juan! :lol: Wonder if you have so many doggie customers because they're all moulting as much as my lot :roll:
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Trudi » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:05 pm

:lol: poor Juan, never easy videoing!
Very organised Katy, just hope I'm back on line soon after the move to judge :lol:
Trudi

Postby fabikat » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:54 pm

Didnt get anything videoed today as Juan was not around but spent a lovely time working Kaiser inhand. He is such a darling horse and really does try. I am not so bothered by the mouthing now and have even reverted back to rewarding him with food. It is just something that 'I' like to do. He still fusses around but I think he is just being babyish and it doesnt concern me now. I am starting to feel a little more accomplished at this work now. Well not accomplished as such just mean that I dont feel like we are bluffing it now and that I can actually influence him and move him about with a total car crash. I enjoyed it today. :-D :thumbup:
katy x
fabikat

Postby fabikat » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:08 pm

Had a go at two ridden ID tests yesterday :blink: Having only actually ridden him no more than a dozen time as you can fimagine we are still a great deal less than green. It is a bit like riding a drunk horse :lol:
Trying to decide whether to enter them for ID :hmmm: it would give me a base mark to then try and slowly improve on. If I wait until we can do an acceptable test I may be waiting a long while. If we start at the bottom at least we can only go up :wink:
I will enter the inhand baroque and think about the rest.......
katy x
fabikat

Postby spottygiraffe » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:21 pm

Go on, enter! It will be so exciting seeing your progress and your marks getting better and better. You'll be able to look back to this point when you're winning the Advanced class and remember how it all started :wink:

Riding a drunk horse -don't know if that sounds fun or scary :lol:
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby littlewhitehorse » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:29 pm

Go for it :thumbup:
littlewhitehorse

Postby fabikat » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:09 pm

Will make a decision tomorrow. My thoughts are as Sarah said, that hopefully I will be able to look back on it in a few years time and see how far we have come.

On another note I had a great session working him inhand tonight. The best to date. Much softer and concentrating on the job in hand. Really looking forward to doing the baroque inhand for April now, and we havent even finished with March yet :-D . I suppose with time I will appreciate the same improvement in the ridden work.
katy x
fabikat

Postby fabikat » Thu May 14, 2015 5:28 am

Goodness me, nearly two months since I wrote here :shock:

Just wanted to comment on something that came to mind when I was reading the ' why do they do it' thread.
I use treats as a reward for Kaiser as it seems to be a good approach for him. I remember commenting before that he was being very mouthy and was unsure whether food motivation would be good for him. Well, do you know what, without me even being aware of it the mouthing is no longer. I guess it may be because his mind, and body hopefully, are more fully engaged in what we are doing. He does still get distracted easily, especially by the sheep next door, and he doesnt always engage body with brain but I think we are getting there.

We both had a few weeks off and now we are trying to get more ridden work under our belts but it is going to take some time. Too little time and the heat has arrived with a vengeance but slow and steady we will proceed.
katy x
fabikat

Postby fabikat » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:51 am

As nearly a month has passed since my last post thought I would just do a small update. Same old same really but little by little we are progressing. He seems to have decided that the 'scary' end of the arena is actually scary the last few times so we need to work through that a bit. Just time and patience I think, and ignoring his silly antics when possible :wink:

On another note we seem to be beating the sweet-itch :thumbup: At the start of the season he began to rub his tail and I saw him scratching his neck vigorously several times and I thought 'oh no, here we go' :thumbdown: A few days passed and his neck was so sore and it made him too uncomfortable to ride, which I discovered when attempting to film for ID :roll:
Racked my brain for something to soothe the sores on his neck and tail and roll on a week or two and his hair is growing again and his neck is not sore. Happy horse, happy owner. :hurray: now to wait and see if we make it through to winter without any more problems :crossfingers:
katy x
fabikat

PreviousNext

Return to Blogs