A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Another horse...?

Re: Another horse...?

Postby spottygiraffe » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:12 am

Wow, what's your secret formula for sweet-itch lotion? Sounds like it's really working. I feel so sorry for horses with sweet itch.

Well done for your scary-end-of-the-arena triumph :hurray:
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby HighJinx » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:07 pm

You are coming on great with him, lovely to watch the progress and a great in hand score this month as well. :thumbup:

The only thing I have found to work with sweet itch longer term is sweet itch rugs. Also find that clipping hair off works if they are really bad hogging manes and top of tail :shock:
HighJinx

Postby Trudi » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:19 pm

Ahem and a rather nice 'regular' test in which the judge was very positive! You're doing so well with him. Glad the sweetitch has calmed down :thumbup:
Trudi

Postby fabikat » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:39 pm

Janet, I think until we consistently get percentages above 80 in the inhand tests I wont get too excited, I think we will be wavering up and down with our scores for a while depending on the day, but yes certainly a great confidence boost and thank you for the encouragement.

Sarah, we are still working with the scary end of the arena, but hopefully if I just pretend it is not there it will go away :lol:
I feel very sorry for horses with sweet-itch too. The short while I had to see Kaiser scraping and rubbing his neck was bad enough. I had to give myself a kick up the butt saying I knew it could happen and just get on with it! No great mysteries to the solution, just a bit of luck I guess, and :crossfingers: that nothing changes for the worse again. As products are not easy to source here in the depths of rural andalucia I thought initially it would be best to try anything easily obtained .
I use a fly spray for general use. He has marmite carrots and the product that healed his sores, and his neck was mightily sore, is an aloe vera cream. No, not the Forever Living range but a spanish make.easily available and cheap. He has no sore now but I smack it on around the base of his tail and all along his crest and root of his mane. I also cover his ears in it as they get very sore too. He loves having it put on, it soothes him and seems to be a great barrier from all the nasties.

This brings me onto something I have been pondering...
Let his mane grow or tidy it up? Voting now open :-D
katy x
fabikat

Postby fabikat » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:44 pm

Here is my 'magic' cream.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk
katy x
fabikat

Postby fabikat » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:48 pm

ImageImageImage

And maybe you can see in these fotos where the hair has grown back.
He had rubbed quite a lot from his tail and it had big scabs and his neck was sore, red and with pus. He didnt want me to touch him the first time I treated him with the cream it bothered him so much

katy x
fabikat

Postby fabikat » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:51 pm

Grow the mane or not?

katy x
fabikat

Postby fabikat » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:58 pm

Trudi thank for having confidence in Kaiser and me, and all your valuable feed back. I was happy with my 'regular' ID test for our stage of training and your concluding comments put a big smile on my face.
I hope you dont mind if I copy a couple of my favourites here.

' love his trot work and the way you help him to balance '
' sympathetically ridden and a pleasure to watch '

I couldnt have asked for anything more. With this feedback I had achieved all that I wanted.

katy x
fabikat

Postby littlewhitehorse » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:18 pm

Don't know how to vote for grow the mane or not. I am wavering between might be more comfortable and easier to treat if short, and looks, which would be for growing it :random: :confused: Nice to see the photos. Will go back and look at your test. :thumbup: Is it posted somewhere?
littlewhitehorse

Postby HighJinx » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:41 pm

I agree would look lovely longer but if he is itchy then short will be much easier to manage.
HighJinx

PreviousNext

Return to Blogs