A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

In the beginning there was a dandy brush....

Re: In the beginning there was a dandy brush....

Postby spottygiraffe » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:47 pm

Really liking the sound of what you're doing, Tess. Listening to them is so important and it sounds like you're giving them time to communicate with you if they so wish. What you're describing is pretty much what I've been doing with mine recently -just hanging round in the field a bit, scratching, removing ticks and just kind of being with them. It is very underrated! I look at the people riding at Tali's poney club every week and it just doesn't make me want to do it at the moment.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Tess and Organza » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:27 am

Looking forward to this afternoon, just need it not to pee down, please weather gods! Have had so little time with the ladies this last week, alot of work on which is mainly faffing about work and not well paid but needs must, today I intend to buy some piquets and make a little paddock within the field so that I can clicker game without Ganzi stressing about being away from nets and kiki, I might introduce a no stress seperation clicker button, and over the weeks move out of the field, see if madam will relax or not....anyways apart from making a paddock today it will be dandy brush and massage time :-D
Tess and Organza

Postby fabikat » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:37 am

Good plan Tess. Ringers crossed for the weather :crossfingers:
katy x
fabikat

Postby Chevalblanc » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:57 am

:thumbup:
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby JennieF » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:23 am

one of the first things they were clicker training with the wild mustangs was 'easy' which was a relaxed head in front and at or below the level of the wither position - as she said it might not nec mean the horses were relaxed but it gave them the idea and if they could hold it for a few seconds it really seemed to help
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby Tess and Organza » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:19 pm

firstly...peed with rain, caity poorly so I just me and horses....started just before work lugging bales of hay across mud in sleety rain, as due to something that called the pension owner away the girls hadnt had a new round bale...since tuesday morning theyd been out of hay :evil: its my big stress, horses with no forage and minus 5 last night and wet and windy...couldnt bare it, went out and got hay, fed very grateful pones. Still no hay when I finished work so went to buy more, only time then to do kikis wound, cuddles and wash nets eyes which are snotty, then had to get over to cait at her dads feeling miserable and cold...so not the best...next time that I will get is friday afternoon, intend to steal myself a couple of hours :-D ...have decided that one of the only places that no one pisses me off is in my horsefield... :lol:
yes Jenny I was thinking about head lowering, when Ganz is feeling cuddly she often puts her nose at my knee level...trying to find the clever clicker sequence that will put the stop a second before bogging off button in place... :hmmm:
Tess and Organza

Postby Tess and Organza » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:12 am

Rain rain rain....theres been a complaint about Ganza being grumpy.. :roll: these are my thoughts which I also shared to FB Observation;
Grumpy horses;when you go into a horse field , the horse might not always greet you with joyful friendliness and an frank and bright expression in her eye, she might have a face on her like an old boot, with ears back and would probably say something like what the f..k do you want if she could speak...this is normal sometimes, just like people can be grumpy old gits , unless said horse is actually trying to chase, bite or kick you its generally best to offer a friendly word or gesture, hang around awhile and be present, as just like people they have off moments, their own worries, discomforts or battles, or just a crap mood on them, its not a crime, they are not my little ponies...

Found Nets sensibly under cover this morning, she accepted her syrup today, brought her hay into the shelter and piled some dry hay on her back to warm up the old kidneys as theres a bit of a wind blowing through...she seemed quite pleased with it, and Ganza will probs use her as a mobile hay feeder... :lol: Ganz decided it looked better under the shelter too so I ended up piling loads of hay under there, Kiki was not allowed to join them but despite much evil face pulling from Ganza I called her in and moved Ganz back quietly despite evil faces, and generally tried to be be bonding and calming, Kiki was eating when I left although probs got told off as soon as I was round the corner :lol:

Forgot to update yesterday, butoxed Nettys bald patches as suggested by the vet in case of lice...gave her a good brush, she was really pleased with being centre of attention, next Kiki who had spent the entire time trying to put her head under the brush whilst I was brushing Netty :roll: Ganzi didnt really want to speak to me yesterday, but I went and found her and she suffered a brush and eye cleanse without walking away :lol: she got a treat but then did some rather over zealous following me, with ears back...I stopped and asked her to move back, which she did, then I treated her, bingo, no more harrassement, she watched me leave with ears pricked. I dont ask for fabulous friendliness, just respect in terms of not wanting a large creature to boss me physically. A basic dandy brush starter point :-D
Tess and Organza

Postby Chevalblanc » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:49 pm

Plenty of grumpy faces at our livery, all the broodmares pull faces if you want to lead another horse past them (they are always waiting in a clump round the gate to come in, unlike my lot :roll: ), I have got them used to moving out of my way now!

Glad to hear that Netty seems to be getting with the medicine :thumbup:
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby spottygiraffe » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:33 pm

Wonder why Ganzi is being a grumpus? She's so complex that mare! Glad Nettie is responding anyway :thumbup:
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Previous

Return to Blogs