A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

In the beginning there was a dandy brush....

In the beginning there was a dandy brush....

Postby Tess and Organza » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:19 pm

Since I came back from the UK Ive started to rebuild my relationships with my horses. I have only a few rules 1. I dont tie them up, I go into the field and brush and massage, they present me with the body parts that require my attention, when they've had enough they wonder off, sometimes they come back for seconds :-D ganz sirprised me today by offering me a front hoof to pick out, there was nothing wrong with it or in it, I think she remembered that feet is generally part of the grooming routine and as I didnt ask....
Next time we will do a couple of me asking things of them, little manipulations, little manoevers, a few things to give the old brain a bit of interest, and rebuild some muscle slowly... but rule 2 is no coercing, she will offer or we wont bother
Not everyones cup of tea I know, but I want to see how far we can go with doing stuff with 100 percent agreement from the horses, Im guessing it will be interesting and sirprising, I wonder what will happen, we might end up going far, or maybe we wont, all I want is a different base to the one we've had, she never does anything towards me that I need to 'reprimand', but if she does I will not reprimand, just maintain my space, ignor it and do something else positive...any thoughts?

Last edited by Candy on Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed image.
Tess and Organza

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: In the beginning there was a dandy brush....

Postby Tess and Organza » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:20 pm

dont seem to be able to do pics anymore sorry :roll:
Tess and Organza

Postby Candy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:22 pm

Fixed for you.
Candy

Postby Tess and Organza » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:33 pm

aww thanks Candy :-D what am I doing wrong? :roll:
Tess and Organza

Postby Trudi » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:08 pm

:thumbup: good place to start Tess.
Trudi

Postby Candy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:04 pm

The [ was missing on the [/img] tag.
Candy

Postby littlewhitehorse » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:10 pm

Love the photos Tess :thumbup: undemanding time with your horses is special and a very real part of the relationship :-D It's all I did today with them too, even though I had my jods on and had planned to ride. It didn't feel like what I wanted to do when I got to the field and they were happy to just hang out too. When they want amusement they wait around at the gate.

It was seeing a French guy go into the field and just be with the horse, who was stressing when her companions were out for a ride; he was grooming her at liberty, and watching this and seeing how the horse relaxed in his presence, which started the change in my ideas and approach, until then it had never even occured to me not to catch my horse and tie him up for grooming :oops:

Not sure how you'll get on with waiting for it to be the horse's idea without there being any motivation but it's a fine ideal. A good thing to remember is that the horse's idea can change in a short time if you wait, often I feel they are not ready to come out of the field with me I wait and enjoy a quiet moment with them, then offer the halter again and they put their nose into it of their own choice :-D These days I like them to catch me.
littlewhitehorse

Postby fabikat » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:28 pm

Nice one Tess :thumbup:
It will be an interesting journey to embark upon. I wish you luck :crossfingers:
katy x
fabikat

Postby Tess and Organza » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:56 pm

thankyou girls :-D Yes Sheila, Ive been grooming loose for years but never before riding always tied up, now Im thinking that I will ride again, just not sure when... :lol:
Tess and Organza

Postby littlewhitehorse » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:43 pm

Tess and Organza wrote: now Im thinking that I will ride again, just not sure when... :lol:

:thumbup: You'll know when it feels right!
littlewhitehorse

Next

Return to Blogs