A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

A Blog for Bandit and his mates

Re: A Blog for Bandit and his mates

Postby JennieF » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:38 pm

As most of you will know from FB I have just done a 3 day dressage clinic with Bandit ..... it was with an instructor who has worked with Mary Wanless and the RWYM 'clan' .... she is also a big fan of Andrew McLean .... anyone heard of him ??? he is new to me and his groundwork approach is interesting

On Day 1 Bandit spend the first few hours lose in the roundpen - generally charging about and trying to take charge of everything that moved .. :roll: :roll: when it was our turn to ride he was predictably fairly wound up .... so I brought him into the school in hand to try to establish a bit of control .... Denise spotted at once who thought he was in charge !!! and we did fair bit of ground work AM style to get him grounded - the principle seems to be that the horse does NOT follow you every time you move - they must stay parked until you actually ask them to move and they move first in response to the 'aid' before you do ... then they stop from the aid and you carry on moving ... they should 'park' and not move, wherever you go, until you actually ask them to .... of course he just follows me like a dog so he had to learn that wasnt happening anymore .... he got it eventually and by day 3 had pretty well accepted that it wasnt up to him to decide when he moved .. ....

The riding went pretty well ... I have to learn to sit on my seatbones and put less weight down into my stirrups .... that's a new one for me as I have spent years NOT sitting on Mis as she hates me sitting on her back .... once I established a proper contact he worked very well although he had developed a 'fixation' with a particular corner of the school and would 'bog off' in that direction through the shoulder every time we got to that side of the circle :banghead: learning to control the outside shoulder became our aim ... by Day 3 we had it :thumbup: :thumbup: ... We mostly worked on basic paces with some leg yielding and shoulder in and although it is still very much a work in progress by Day 3 I was really starting to get that amazing feel of the 'intimate connection' that I love :love: looking at the videos I can see the moments when it all comes together ... :thumbup: :thumbup:

My stirrups are now a couple of holes shorter and I feel like I am riding with my knees and thighs ... I am sure there is a lot more to learn but we certainly made progress over the 3 days - I now have the super, round bouncy dressage horse I always wanted :thumbup: :thumbup: lots of homework to do and I am hoping Sheila can remember some of the things I am supposed to have learnt !!! At least watching the videos will remind me to give with the inside rein, sit on his back, not brace down through my feet, keep control of that outside shoulder .....lift my knees !!!

Next clinic is June ....
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Trudi » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:51 am

Sounds like brilliant progress and much like I teach and it is alien to most to have the stop/start on cue but it works so well.
Trudi

Postby Chevalblanc » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:10 am

Interesting, I like the "don't just follow me around" approach. Been working on this a bit with Tari as she tends to be too "in your face"otherwise. Been having a go at some of the Equifeel exercises......

So do we get to see any video?
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby JennieF » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:34 pm

I am going to order Andrew McLean's book as it sounds interesting and I have an Amazon voucher sitting on the kitchen table ...

Forgot to say one of the things I loved about the 3 days was the way he came to me on the Wednesday morning in the field, and stood quietly next to me waiting to go off to work again with such a lovely soft look in his eye :love: .... its little things like that that really say he is happy with what we are doing :thumbup: :thumbup:

For some reason the videos wont play on my laptop but do on the 'proper' computer so I might try to produce something when I get the time ...
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby Trudi » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:23 pm

I am going to order Andrew McLean's book as it sounds interesting

Careful you're straying over to the 'dark side' of learning theory :lol: I like a lot of his thoughts.

stood quietly next to me waiting to go off to work again with such a lovely soft look in his eye
:love:
Trudi

Postby JennieF » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:14 pm

Been watching a lot of videos of clinics with Andrew McLean on youtube - :thumbup: :thumbup:

Really must drag the boy out 2mrw and see if I can remember everything I have to do .....

When I was taking him off the the clinic in the mornings last week Mis was yelling at me from the field as she was so jealous ... so I decided to throw some tack on her and take her out for a bimble round the block yesterday .... haven't sat on her for over a year ... she was great - and seems fine today - I had a shiatsu-osteo go over her a few weeks ago and she said that she didnt see any reason why I cant ride her gently as she couldnt find anything that was causing any pain so from now on we will go exploring together on nice warm sunny afternoons when we fancy it :cowboy: :cowboy:
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby M-E » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:51 am

Thats great about Mis, I'm sure she will like a toodles out and about :-D

Sounds like the Spanish chap is doing really well :thumbup:
M-E

Postby JennieF » Wed May 17, 2017 7:14 pm

for some reason this blog hasnt been updated for years ..... not sure where all my other posts about the boy are ... anyway - I rode him again this evening and he was just soooo good ... he focused on me straight away with the groundwork and was really listening so I got on and he was just so into his work :thumbup: ... he really loves to be told how clever he is ... we had a good number of 'on the edge' moments which I agree are rather addictive ... and I am starting to be able to ask him for a bit more - but I forgot myself once and asked way to 'loudly' for a canter tranny and got a massive buck ... had to apologize to him and ask again nicely, to which he rewarded me with the most wonderful canter ... he is a very sensitive boy :love: :love:
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby Trudi » Wed May 24, 2017 4:23 pm

:thumbup: sounds great Jennie- were your other posts on a clinic write up??
Trudi

Postby Trudi » Wed May 24, 2017 4:28 pm

Trudi

PreviousNext

Return to Blogs