Postby littlewhitehorse » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:21 am

Hope she is okay. Otherwise a fairly quiet week compared to usual? :wink:
littlewhitehorse

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Quiet Flows The Don

Postby Trudi » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:55 pm

Alick- great write ups as always. Hope the lady is OK :crossfingers:
The heels down thing is always difficult- some have you push it down so far that the muscles tense too much :confused: for me the foot should be almost level although heels onboots can make it appear that the heel is a little lower than the toes.
Trudi

Postby Late Starter » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:40 pm

Another instructor had been telling me off for overflexing my ankles, so there is a whole "overcorrection" thing going on here, I think :random: . I also noted that when I put my weight to the outside of my foot to open up my legs a bit more (that is not a nice picture....), I find it harder to keep my heel down to the satisfaction of Laura.
I have had an update on Louise, the lady who fell off on Thursday. Nothing broken or dislocated, just heavily bruised.
Late Starter

Postby Late Starter » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:13 am

I think Laura must be a bit traumatised. The lesson was called off this week as she was unwell. Maybe the thought of us lot again was too much. I hear that she has done her back in. Hopefully she will be back with us soon, otherwise it could be mix and match with instructors again.
Late Starter

Postby Chevalblanc » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:35 pm

I can just hear the conversation, "Oh Gawd, not Alick again, I think I need to go for a lie down......" :lol:
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby Trudi » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:58 am

:rofl: :rofl:
Trudi

Postby Late Starter » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:36 pm

Clearly Laura has not yet recovered. Jess covered. It was just me on the Don and Steve on Maisie Moo.
A bit of open order warm up. We actually managed to avoid any mix ups about passing left to left this time. Maybe that was what pushed Laura over the edge.
Once we had got the neds (and us) warmed up, alert and forward we started to work on a bit of accuracy at the trot. Riding acircle over four poles hitting the coloured section in the middle of each one. Well actually trying not to hit, but step neatly over. After a shaky start I got the Don going nicely on each rein. Then I had a chance to watch Maisie at work. I have been looking at her since she arrived and she now takes the poles in her stride rather than trying to leap anything on the floor.
Next, time to work on transitions to canter while on a 20m circle. My first one was effective but a mess. I could feel myself pitching forward as I asked. I needed to ask more with my seat rather than wasting energy with my upper body. None of this escaped Jess’s notice. After a a few useful pointers we went again. After the third or fourth attempt I was getting the quietest and quickest trot/canter transitions I have yet managed. Pity about the transition down from canter…
Time for something new. Jess said that it would do me good to work on counter-canter. I have touched on this previously, but it had rather been thrown at me to keep me from thinking about it too much (well, not all actually). This time I was given clear instructions. The first exercise was to canter a 20m circle at A and then ride from K to X to M and transition to trot as I came to the track. First time I overshot on the transition down, but second time we nailed it. Next, Jess asked me to canter a circle at C then go down the long side past M and B then making a 10m half circle between B and F. Then back towards the track at M and continuing in canter round C to H, maintaining the same lead. Here goes nothing! Picking up canter was fine and as we went down the long side I was concentrating on keeping a nice collected with good impulsion but not getting too fast. I almost forgot about the 10m half circle, but remembered to look round in good time while keeping the leg strong to keep the impulsion on the half circle. Then back to the track and keeping the leg strong for the counter canter element round to H. Nailed it first time. I cannot say that I got it perfectly, but Jess seemed happy and decided to stop on a positive note.
Late Starter

Postby littlewhitehorse » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:33 pm

Chevalblanc wrote:I can just hear the conversation, "Oh Gawd, not Alick again, I think I need to go for a lie down......" :lol:

:lol: :lol:
littlewhitehorse

Postby Trudi » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:37 am

:lol: :lol:
Alick you should get them into Interdressage- sounds like your group would be good.
They do push you on in your lessons.
Trudi

Postby Late Starter » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:13 pm

Been a bit busy with decorating, work, wolves and archery to post much over the last few weeks. Got a bit of downtime tonight though, before I start mixing GnT :wine: .
I have had a couple of weeks riding Maisie Moo (who was a real star with Ali on the Friday Archery session, unlike the Don, who was a total wus with the bow). She now has a creditable canter, but is still unbalanced and likely to trip over her own feet. Riding her was a real exercise in stillness. Unless you give her the aid, and only the aid she gets a bit panicky and tends to charge. It certainly helped me develop a nicer more economical transition to canter. I had more of a problem with the transition down to trot. She tends to go into a flat out trot from the canter rather than a good measured trot. As I am working on regulating pace without hanging on the mouth I was attempting to slow the rising to slow her down. I did not really get the knack and ended up resorting to a few half halts. We built this up to a figure of eight at the canter with a transition to trot at X for the change of lead. It was hard to get the trot controlled enough before asking for the canter again, but we got it ...sort of. Next time round we stayed in trot until I was happy about the control. This tended to mean that half the eight was done at the canter and half at the trot. Not quite the point of the exercise but hey ho. All in all pretty pleased with progress on the Maisie Moo.
Last night I was back on the Don for some gridwork with Sara in charge. she is one of the trainees and she has never taught grown ups before. Perhaps they wanted us to test her to destruction? Once the poles were off te hground, it was good to work at balancing the impulsion and controlling pace at the trot. He certainly wanted to do it at the canter, and Steve was never going to hold Maisie back. I think the Don might have a bit of a crush on the Moo. He was very keen to close up to her and reluctant to circle when I judged we were getting too close :love: :lol: . I certainly felt that it was the most consistent gridwork that I have done to date. Oh and Sara did not seem too traumatised.
I'll try to keep a bit more up to date in future!
Late Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Blogs