A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Quiet Flows The Don

Re: Quiet Flows The Don

Postby Chevalblanc » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:16 pm

Maisie is :love: As Tracey mentioned she'd got a rub on her mouth from someone overdoing it with the bit before the archery session, we just left her in a headcollar. Think she appreciated it........here's a bit of vid I forgot to post earlier....

https://youtu.be/duHIujviIaY
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby spottygiraffe » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:58 am

Maisie :love: She's a poppet.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby littlewhitehorse » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:38 pm

:thumbup: for the video; Maisie looks a good sort, she would look good in armour I reckon :-D
littlewhitehorse

Postby Late Starter » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:35 pm

An influx of new blood this week. Sarah on the irrepressible Minstrel (she normally rides on Monday) and Katherine (not mine) on the Don, while Steve was on Jack O (back from injury and as honest as ever) while I was on the Maisie Moo. Jess was taking the class this week. We were promised jumping! I have never jumped with the Maisie Moo before but I reckoned it would be interesting, knowing how she likes to rush things.
An uneventful warm up in open order. I took th eopportunity to stretch my legs out of the stirrups while walking, so I was slower getting into the trot than the others. I found that the last person to ride Maisie must have been a hobbit (Bagginsss thief! - ooh I have the hair for that role- all I need is a raggedy loincloth), given how much I had to lengthen the stirrups. She was also keen to give the Don a wide berth. Not sure what has been happening there, perhaps he has been stalking her.
We did a bit of work on transitions to canter and back to trot then Jess brought out the trotting poles. My biggest problem was keeping the Moo in canter on the circle. She would start to get unbalanced and break back to trot. I've not yet got the "feel" of her yet. She was better going large (or perhaps I was....).
First of all Jess set up some trotting poles on the centre line. First time over, Maisie was fine, but started getting more and more manic, especially when the last pole was popped up as a low crosspole. The mad Minstrel was likewise. Jack O and the Don just took it all in their stride. After a bit of feedback, we all went again. My task was to keep Maisie in a steady trot on the approach with an emphasis on calmness. There was also a general admonition not to look at the poles or the ground but to look ahead at the A on the wall. All good advice :-D .
Once we got some semblence of calmness with this exercise, Jess set up a grid for us. we started off just trotting over the poles, then Jess popped up two cross poles at a bounce distance. Again I was thinking about keeping Maisie calm on the approach, and on teh second time round, circled her away from the grid rather than going straight at it so she did not anticipate. This worked well and she was jumping well in a Snaffle. She had been doing some work in a Rugbey Pelham (harsh, I know) to try and get more precision and control in her jumping, but a heavy handed oaf like me is better with a simple snaffle :wink: .
Jess popped the third pole to make a triple bounce grid once we had all had a go. On my first go over Misie was calm but jumped a bit flat, so Jess changed the middle element to a vertical, to make her shape her jump a bit more, which she did. Once everybody else had a go we had a second run. Maisie was beautifully calm and steady on approach and jumped well. Jess said "picture perfect" :thumbup: then asked me to fiddle with the jumps, raising the third elemnt as a special treat, while I circled away. The Moo approached nice and calmly again, and I focussed on the end wall of the school. She went nicely over the first cross pole and I felt that I was going well with movement, same with her take off for the second, then she tripped over her own feet on landing. Wheeeeeeee - I was catapulted out of the front door as I suddenly found no horse in front of me any more. I thought I was going to make it over the last poles by myself, but gravity noticed me and I crashed down on the jump, completely demolishing it. :buck: . All those years of Aikido practice came to the fore and I tucked my head in and rolled. I did not land on my feet, but was back up again just like being thrown by my Sensei. It would have been a heroic fall, if the jumps had been higher :wink: Maisie Moo had managed to stick a foreleg through the reins. I went to go and sort this out and suddenly realised I was actually a bit winded, so let Jess sort it out. I got straight back in the saddle and walked about the middle of the school while the others. As we were getting to the end of the lesson, I asked Jess to just leave one cross pole up for Maisie, just so we could finish with a confidence builder. I did ask if I had been too far forward in my jump position (a known fault of mine), but Jess that it was just a bad stumble, which would probably have unseated most riders. I fear I may have broken another instructor. When i got home I discovered that my Jods had finally given up the ghost with this last piece of abuse. Hmm crotchless jods anyone? Probably go well with my gimp mask...... :tongue:
Late Starter

Postby Chevalblanc » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:17 pm

Late Starter wrote:
Hmm crotchless jods anyone? Probably go well with my gimp mask...... :tongue:

Not one of your better ideas. Imagine the chafing....... :lol: Glad no hurt was caused other than to your trousers!
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby littlewhitehorse » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:39 pm

Oops glad you bounced well :hug: and :lol:
littlewhitehorse

Postby Tess and Organza » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:14 pm

:lol: great posts, always give me a chuckle :thumbup:
Tess and Organza

Postby Trudi » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:38 pm

:rofl: :rofl:

:love: Maisie!
Trudi

Postby Late Starter » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:01 pm

Lots of news this month! It all started with a fairly uneventful lesson on the Don, jumping some low poles on tricky angles with doglegs. A few run outs and a bit of trouble finding enough room to turn the big fellow, followed by the dreaded "W" of poles in the centre of the school, circling alternately left and right at the trot. THe catch with both exercises was not to get through them any which way, but to execute them accurately.
Then the bombshell dropped. The boss is selling Ambitions. She has not been well for about six months and I think the bank has been getting a bit medieval. There are times when I think that Islam has got it right with their outright ban on usury. By a stroke of luck I had inspected a riding school near Faringdon earlier that week and they had said taht they were looking to buy their own place. They have some money behind them and see no point continuing to rent from a difficult landlord. Their budget and teh asking price seemed to be in line, so I tipped them off the day it went on the market. They are going back for a second look today with their money man (her dad) :crossfingers: While this has all been happening, I have been allowed to ride the Don by myself in school. It is an interesting challenge to take responsibility for your own riding, setting challenges for yourself and your horse without somebody telling you what to do all the time. Well, that's what riding is all about isn't it?
Meanwhile Tracey is setting up at another riding school, Holtwood Farm, about 15 minutes drive from us and she is taking some of the ponies with her, including the Maisie Moo. I have just learned that the Don has been bought and the buyer (Catherine) is going to keep hm in working livery at........ Holtwood Farm :hurray:
It has all been a bit :thumbdown: :thumbup: :sad: :shock: over the last few weeks. Any way, Katherine is going over to help on Wednesday and is doing a Pony Day on Thursday, so we will see how it works in practice......
Late Starter

Postby Trudi » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:16 pm

Sounds likeplenty of change afoot then- hope it works out well.
Trudi

PreviousNext

Return to Blogs