A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

one small field

one small field

Postby Tess and Organza » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:41 am

This is my blog; telling the story of the life I share with my three mares;
it will read a bit like watching slow tv, I will try to take photos when the chance arrives.
It is a blog of observations and thoughts on principally the relationships between them and their interactions with me and others.
A long time ago i bought a book called the Equid Ethogram by Sue Mcdonell; I think that even back then I was thinking about my horses as independant beings with a life of their own. That should seem like a rediculous statement, but at the time I had never met anyone else with the same desire 'just' to observe, not to communicate for the purpose of improving what I could get out of them for my pleasure (many horse whisper 'etho' stratgedies seemed to have this goal) which of course is quite normal, unless you start to seperate the horse from your ego; as in, I realised that i could nolonger say "I own three mares" it became "I take care of...we take care of each other even"
However i can imagine a day when I will ride them again, but i can't guarantee it will happen.
I saw that having removed their possibility to live as nature intended the horse to live, I must fullfill basic horse needs at least, including the ones that considered how they feel about something; this is involved making a large effort not to humanise them through lack of true respect and understanding of their species. there are many things they lack; trekking space being the main one; i have been wanting to corridor the field for some time. but the amount of piquets are way out of price range for me :evil: We are patient; it will at some point change :-D my dream is some rough rocky land with woods and a stream and a bit of grazing so that they can fully enjoy being horses :love: but for now we do our best. i enter their ranks respectfully each time I dip under the fence. The biggest change has been with Organza. she is choosing to be much more respecttful to me, and really affectionate. An example being the mornings when they are waiting to go into the grass, I have to untie the two gate tapes which is fiddly, Ganz 'helps' me very gently by muzzling my hands whilst I try to untie it, it's controlled impatience, and she doesn't barge once it's open anymore.
I thought it might be nice to document my regular observations, it might be rather boring in many places :lol: but it will be honest :thumbup:
Tess and Organza

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: one small field

Postby Chevalblanc » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:31 am

Great idea, Tess :thumbup: Nothing wrong with slow TV, that reindeer ride that was on over Christmas was strangely fascinating.......
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby Tess and Organza » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:19 am

We are going to try something...yesterday a friend of the yo asked me if she could bring Kyrie back into work and ride her out with the yo a couple of times a week; :hmmm: :thumbup: I decided we will try it. I have seen her ride, she isn't fearful or agressive at all. Kiki is way too fat and formerly enjoyed going out alot, as in she's fairly nosey and not spooky by nature, she's cheerful. She seemed very interested in the new human, checked her thoroughly for carrotability :lol:
So on friday we will have a look at the tack, see which saddle she's not too fat for...but no riding as such untill all is calm on foot. It's not a bad idea, lazily it also means that she will have already been out if I ever get the urge to amble over yonder, :hide: We talked about seeing how Ganza feels about a change of air in steady company too, not yet, but we'll see. I do remember some fantastic long rides in the past with her, always came into her own after the first 15 km, she would set up in trek mode, very comfortable rolling walk and supported trot, not much or none at all of the overthinking. Perhaps the same applied to me...it also means that I can take Netty en longe because she kicks hell out of Kiki if you try to lead her from her :roll:
Tess and Organza

Postby Chevalblanc » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:01 am

Sounds like a good plan to me :-D
Helen

Chevalblanc

Postby Tess and Organza » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:28 am

:thumbup: i think it might be Helen, I'm hoping that Kyrie will enjoy herself :wink:
Tess and Organza

Postby Trudi » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:01 am

:thumbup: good to read your positive tones Tess, sounds like it could be a good plan. I really need to blog again but all the work stuff gets in the way at the moment.
Trudi

Postby Tess and Organza » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:00 am

well I've been writing quite a bit, have tried to concentrate on one project but need to switch concentration sometimes, a bit like refreshing the page :lol: I'm juggling writing and some hours work here and there and for the next few weeks have plenty of field time, fortunately, because it's one of the only things, apart from a walk in the forest, a good hot bath or decent carrot cake, that makes me feel human again! :-D

Last night I left the big girls access to the grass, because the hay feeder was nearly empty and would not be filled untill this afternoon. The girls came in though as usual, I stock piled some of what was left in the feeder for Netty, who has only what I give her to eat. Ganza stood by the gap for a moment before wondering over to the feeder. I decided not to close it. When I left last night both big girls were munching the last of the hay.
When I got there this morning they were far out across the field, grazing in the sunshine amongst the lark song. they raised their heads and I waved, I didn't expect them to come over as they were not waiting for the grass to be opened. I set about collecting everything haywise that I could find to feed a rather grumpy Netty. She seemed tired, I wondered if she had been left a bit alone in the night when they grazed, I'd love to have a night camera on my field!
The next thing i knew ganza was pushing her nose into my back and enjoyed/endured a long head cuddle with eyes closed. kyrie was there too, cuddles all round.
Hopefully the feeder will be full when I go back later, definitely prefer to keep the big girls near netty at night, and I think they quite like the routine of different areas of the field at different times of day
Tess and Organza

Postby spottygiraffe » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:48 pm

Great that you've decided to blog... Your creative juices are obviously flowing.

Hmmm, I could murder a piece of decent carrot cake right now. Ditto about the night camera. Mine go to a different part of the field that they never venture in during the day. I've always wondered why.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Chevalblanc » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:06 pm

Tess and Organza wrote:I think they quite like the routine of different areas of the field at different times of day

They do seem to stick to routines. Ours are always down at the bottom of their hill in the afternoon when we go after school, but in the morning they disappear over the top of the hill. Sometimes if it's sunny I can see them sunbathing (top of their field is just visible from the upstairs window of the house)

ImageDSC_0006 (2) by Helen Barnes, on Flickr
Helen

Chevalblanc

Postby Tess and Organza » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:17 pm

What a beautiful photo Helen! :love: I love looking out for where they laid full out in the night too, easy atm as their moulting coats leave a fine mat in the dusty bits of grass. Organza is often between the open field and kiki and netty are enclosed between her and the gateway; Or is netty guarding the gate? :hmmm: :lol: my instinct is that Ganzi is the gardian. The outer recesses of the field, the railway line, I don't much go over there, just to check the fences etc, debris from train, once a month or so. I think they associate their gateway with my comings and goings, it is in effect 'covered' by me.
I also love to go and stand in some of their favourite chilling positions to stand in the field. From all of them there is a good view of the entire property and other horses. I think ganza chose these places, kiki and netty follow her in the field, she is obviously queen; :roll:
Tess and Organza

Next

Return to Blogs