A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Onnyadut

Onnyadut

Postby FlorayG » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:57 pm

I just found this part of the forum so I thought I would start a blog about Dut ( Also known as Tittle, if you don't know what a tittle is try guessing here before you google it, and when she is being very cute she is Mrs Lickle)
So far she hasn't been Mrs Lickle much and she bit me yesterday :blink: but she couldn't help it she was a bit stressed. I'm trying to get her to be calm when there are no other horses in the yard but it takes her about 15 minutes to settle and I had to get the headcollar off before she caught it up on something and she just snapped at my hand. I've been waiting for that to happen cos she is a bit mouthy.
ANYWAY we have finally made a breakthrough with the clicker training which is why I have something to write. I was getting nowhere and finally discovered that she just doesn't like the treats i have been offering and instead I tried her bucket feed and we got targeting in about 5 minutes! SO I am trying hard to get her settled with her feet ready for a trim on Monday next as she picks her feet up like lightning at the moment and if you don't grab them just as quick she will put it down again and then refuse to pick it up a second time (because obviously as you didn't take it when she offered that's not what you want). Well I said I wanted a sharp horse but cheees she's like a ferret on speed...back to do some more this evening now it has finally stopped raining.
FlorayG

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Onnyadut

Postby JennieF » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:18 pm

When the foot comes up dont try to grab it and hold it still - get it circling - it gives them something to think about and because its moving they seem to lose the instinct to fight against being held onto .... its an old trick but it works very well
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby Chevalblanc » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:50 pm

Also with really sharp horses I would just be around them and ask nothing for a while, seems to calm them down (as long as you are calm yourself of course, not always easy when you are around sharp horses :wink: )
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby FlorayG » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:40 am

I've been doing 'ask nothing' for 9 weeks... :-D
Yesterday evening we did targeting to the hoof stand and she is incredibly quick at learning as well. I touched her knee with the target about 3 times, then the 4th time she shifted her weight and touched the target herself accidentally and she 'got it' straight away and was picking up her leg and touching the target with her knee in a couple of minutes. We got as far as touching her hoof to the stand and stopped there.

Already I am having to do 'click and reward for nothing' as she started waving her leg about randomly and saying "hey, good game, look at me, gimme a treat..." so need to really ensure that she understands it's only to be done when I have the target presented. I think there will be loads of rewarding for doing nothing!

Does anyone else here use Clicker training?
FlorayG

Postby Trudi » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:45 pm

Think I'm the only one that owns up to it :lol:
Trudi

Postby spottygiraffe » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:59 am

Glad you've started a blog, Jackie :thumbup:

I am a clicker fan too. It can be a bit difficult when they get over-enthusiastic about learning a new trick :lol:
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Chevalblanc » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:40 pm

We don't do it with an actual clicker but just using a word instead, they all understand it means they've done good and wait for their treat :-D But we also use pressure and release, whatever works for each horse/situation I guess......
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby M-E » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:03 am

I do use treats but I don't do the click.
Tiky was a right nightmare to pick us his back feet, a real cow kicker, it took about a year but now he is very good he even let the trimmer pick his feet up
M-E

Postby littlewhitehorse » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:01 pm

I don't click and I don't treat but I am happy to read your blog and hear about what you are doing with Dut, I am a very lazy erratic blogger myself :lol:
littlewhitehorse

Postby FlorayG » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:52 am

Wow. :shock:
That certainly brought the worms out of the woodwork...

Debbie came to give Dut her first proper trim yesterday. I've been working on getting Dut to pick up her feet nicely and put a hoof on the stand because she has always been a bit 'snatchy'. Anyway, Deb got the fronts done OK, Dut was twitchy and a bit teeth snappy but I used the clicker and there was no trouble. Then Deb put the hoof stand by Dut's hind foot and reached out to pick up the hoof and Dut just exploded - tried to kick Deb in the head (no prior warning) and then threw her head high and ran backwards as fast as she could go (to escape the expected retribution was obvious). I haven't seen a horse kick like that in a long time - it was so obviously in fear and defence of her life.

Deb was fabulous...spent ages and ages just touching Dut's leg and stroking her and talking to her and moving the stand around her and I was clicker treating like mad for every moment of relaxation. It really didn't take too long (considering the original reaction) to get Dut to put her hind foot on the stand and have it trimmed but I could see how totally confused she was at how these humans had reacted to her kicking.

I KNEW there was something that was giving this poor horse problems. She has always been a bit too reserved even with me. Now it's out in the open perhaps we can deal with it more easily :crossfingers:
FlorayG

Next

Return to Blogs