A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Onnyadut

Re: Onnyadut

Postby FlorayG » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:02 am

I think I'm really getting the hang of this +R now. Tuesday and Wednesday Dut played at trailer loading for an hour or more. Thursday she only did about ten minutes and then decided that was enough. If my calculations are correct she is coming in season and I have a feeling she isn't too comfortable at these times. I have sympathy with that and so will have to start keeping a diary on it.
So I thought I would do trailer loading with Kitty instead. I showed her the target, she marched into the trailer and demanded her reward :hurray:
FlorayG

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby FlorayG » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:53 pm

Ooh I haven't been on for ages and I'm all behind ( like a horse's Ar$e :eek: )
Been trying my new +R ideas on Dut. She's well keen but a bit unhappy at having other horses watching closely, she hasn't yet figured out that they can't actually get at 'her' treats. Kitty stands at the barrier whickering at me ( such a luv :love: ) waiting her turn. I've set up the round pen and teaching both to 'lunge' and change direction and halt at a signal. I think Dut's more interested in Doing Stuff than she is in the food. I'll post a link to our training video
FlorayG

Postby Trudi » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:16 pm

:thumbup: she sounds bright as a button.
Trudi

Postby spottygiraffe » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:52 am

FlorayG wrote:Ooh I haven't been on for ages and I'm all behind ( like a horse's Ar$e :eek: )
I think Dut's more interested in Doing Stuff than she is in the food.

I always seem to be behind these days.

Dut sounds like a dream to work with :thumbup:
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby FlorayG » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:43 am

She's certainly not a dream to work with - I have to be on my toes all the time not to teach her something I don't want. She's really hard to work with. Kitty is much easier, she takes longer to catch on but she is happy to stop and think, sometimes for ages, before trying a move to see if it's correct. Dut will do a move and then go "done that, gimme treat!" and get upset if it's not correct.
She would be a dream I'm sure for somebody like Shawna to teach but I'm a beginner at this
Oh and here is the link; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I80LzSV61fQ
FlorayG

Postby FlorayG » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:44 am

Argh I have a hormonal mare for the first time ever. Dut has had a couple of days of PMT :hissyfit: :random: :evil: and believe me, you don't want a mare already sharp as a snake and with a tendency to nip suffering with PMT. 'Nuff said, there...
FlorayG

Postby Trudi » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:14 am

She is such a pretty thing, shame about the hormones.
Trudi

Postby FlorayG » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:30 pm

I've had ten days of hell.
Biting ( not just nipping) me, the other horses, even the headcollar when it didn't go on properly at the first attempt.
Whizzing around the field doing that horrible nose in the air head whirling thing that Arabs are prone to ( and she's NOT an Arab)
Kicking Kitty and the poor yard dog who only walked past - she just missed him.
Yesterday I was prepared for her ( thick coat on :wink: ) and she was sweetness and light, easy to catch, stood quietly tied up, let me trim her feet and even lead her with Kitty (who wasn't convinced and kept as far away as possible just in case)

I remember the days of PMT but bloody hell TEN DAYS at a time??? :shock:
FlorayG

Postby spottygiraffe » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:49 pm

Just getting the obvious question out there -was it definitely PMT? Seems to have lasted a really long time. I have a hyper-sensitive, hormonal mare and it runs its course in 3 days. 10 days seem excessive... although she has come into season twice within 2 weeks once in the summer :random:
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Trudi » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:17 am

That does sound like a long time :hmmm: hormones are very variable I guess. Would it be worth her having the jab so as not to come into season so that you could be certain that is the sole cause?
Trudi

PreviousNext

Return to Blogs