A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Onnyadut

Re: Onnyadut

Postby FlorayG » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:18 am

I spoke to the vet ( who had unearthed his suit if armour to come and scope and Investigate her) and he said in a young mare the last season of the year can indeed last a very long time.
NO, I'm not 100% certain it's that as yet but I can't think of any other conditions that cause such a massive behaviour change so quickly. Next year I wll be keeping a very careful diary :ugeek:
FlorayG

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby spottygiraffe » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:27 am

Good idea to keep a diary :thumbup: Let's hope that is it for the year then :?
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby JennieF » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:41 pm

... so did he scope her??? and did he find anything ???
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby FlorayG » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:48 pm

No he didn't scope her because all the odd behaviour has gone as suddenly as it appeared so now we both suspect hormones
FlorayG

Postby JennieF » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:39 pm

:crossfingers: the colicky episodes are finished too ....

did you have to starve her for 12 hours beforehand in case he was going to scope her ?? that was why my vet doesnt like to, as he said that it can cause even more problems and certainly doesnt help a horse that already has ulcers ...
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby Trudi » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:35 am

Diary is definitely a good plan :thumbup: hope all is calm now for Winter.
Trudi

Postby FlorayG » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:47 am

new routine now - both come in to the stables for a feed every evening, so I can get the habit established before I have to do it int he dark. Then Kitty gets a haynet while I do some clicker with Dut ( currently still working on relaxed feet picking up and putting on the stand) then I turn Dut out and do more advanced stuff with Kitty. Dut stands watching over the gate, she loves CT training. Kitty is learning hip and shoulder movement to a hand signal - I'm hoping this will help our lateral work when we return to ridden stuff in the spring
FlorayG

Postby FlorayG » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:27 pm

I feel so sad for Dut my poor baby... :cry:
I’ve been working really hard on getting her to understand about having her feet trimmed as she didn’t hold them up very well to have the walls and heels done and had no idea about bringing them forward to put on the hoof stand to have the toes done. I finally got it all working nicely for me last week and so arranged for Deb to come and give her a proper professional trim. I was so pleased with both of us and thought there would be no problem.
Well, Dut took one look at Deb approaching with her trimming tools and went ballistic, trying to really bite her, I had to keep hold of the front end and shovel treat cubes in as fast as I could. Deb managed one front hoof then went to a back one and Dut kicked out really viciously and then suddenly froze in fear – I could see in her eye she was just waiting for the comeback and ‘knew’ she couldn’t escape it. It made both Deb and me feel a bit sick to think what she has been through to end up like that, trying to ‘do unto others before they can do unto you’
Deb went back to her car and got her own clicker and we had to do training, Deb stroking her, clicking when she stayed relaxed and me treating. Amazingly she got the job done, the trimmer having the clicker seemed to tell Dut this wasn’t the sort of person she was expecting to have around her feet. By the time Deb was finished Dut was picking up all her feet nicely, still a bit stressed but showing it by snatching at he treats rather than trying to bite pieces out of me.
Some people are barstewards around horses :evil: and they just pass on the problem when the horse is sold. Just imagine the sort of reputation this could have got Dut if she had been sold to somebody who didn’t understand.
FlorayG

Postby Trudi » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:21 am

Sadly many don't understand :sad: I get fed up with the phrase 'they should know what to do' well why should a horse know?? Lucky Dut to have found a patient person, I'm sure she'll grow in confidence the longer she's with you and has more positive experiences.
Trudi

Postby FlorayG » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:54 am

Sunday was a fabulous day
Dut and I went out for a walk, did loads of good c/t on the way, met up with a couple of other people on horses with no aggro, got back, tied her up in the yard on her own and cleaned out and treated all her feet good as gold. :love:

It appears that Kitty is her big problem - Dut starts to resource guard ME any time i try to do anything that involves Kitty as well and turns into a monster. Any suggestions to resolve this gratefully recieved...
FlorayG

PreviousNext

Return to Blogs