A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Tanya's Tribe

Re: Tanya's Tribe

Postby Tanya » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:36 pm

littlewhitehorse wrote:That music woke me up - had the volume on full :lol:

:hurray: Tanya that is looking so much better, you looked really soft & flexible, going with the movement, & you two look like a real partnership there. If the stick being in your hand wakes him up a bit that's a good idea. Is it still the same saddle?

I know I did the same when I show Gary the video - I'd been listening to Guns and Roses earlier when on-one was home.

Unfortunately the saddle is the same... Nicky noticed while everything was much better my lower leg keep going forward - I'm still fighting that one. Gary has promised me a new saddle next year and if we need to get it made so be it... but I have to keep working and riding him :wink:
Tanya

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Blesi » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:25 am

Hi Tanya

I have just joined AMOH as, at last, I may have something useful to offer (or not!) You will see from my introduction that I have retired horses nowadays.

When you mentioned your legs going forward it reminded me of the same problem I had many years ago. I was constantly told "legs back" and trotting seemed to be hard work. I suspect your riding is probably far more advanced that mine was at the stage.

However I went on a week's riding holiday to improve my position and build confidence. The very first morning the instructor saw my problem.

We were in an open field and she told me to do the following:- I had to lean forward in rising trot and just ride about the field. As soon as I felt some/or more weight in the stirrups I had to bring myself upright. As soon as my legs slipped forward I had to lean forwards again. That afternoon I had the longest, most comfortable, trot out on a hack and my new position gave me a feeling of being far more balanced. I know you mention your saddle so this exercise may not help but watching your video did bring back some memories. Apologies to all the more experienced members if this sounds strange but it worked for me.

My Icelandic saddle has an adjustment bar with three positions for the stirrups. Not sure if there are other saddles with that choice.

Bye and good luck.
Blesi

Postby spottygiraffe » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:34 am

Looks like really good input, Blesi :thumbup:
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Tanya » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:35 pm

Blesi wrote:Hi Tanya

I have just joined AMOH as, at last, I may have something useful to offer (or not!) You will see from my introduction that I have retired horses nowadays.

When you mentioned your legs going forward it reminded me of the same problem I had many years ago. I was constantly told "legs back" and trotting seemed to be hard work. I suspect your riding is probably far more advanced that mine was at the stage.

However I went on a week's riding holiday to improve my position and build confidence. The very first morning the instructor saw my problem.

We were in an open field and she told me to do the following:- I had to lean forward in rising trot and just ride about the field. As soon as I felt some/or more weight in the stirrups I had to bring myself upright. As soon as my legs slipped forward I had to lean forwards again. That afternoon I had the longest, most comfortable, trot out on a hack and my new position gave me a feeling of being far more balanced. I know you mention your saddle so this exercise may not help but watching your video did bring back some memories. Apologies to all the more experienced members if this sounds strange but it worked for me.

My Icelandic saddle has an adjustment bar with three positions for the stirrups. Not sure if there are other saddles with that choice.

Bye and good luck.

Hi Blesi,

Thanks for your input - glad it's not only me who has the leg problem ! I had Poneypie (Nicky) come and give me some pointers on this and indeed I needed to lean slightly forward in the rising trot and it helped. I am looking into the saddle thing - mine is cut quite forward and the stirrup bars aren't in the best place and can't be moved.
I am certainly not an advanced rider - quite the opposite - I've had to go back to basics after a major confidence loss which has lasted nearly 3 years ! But we are getting there - thanks to the support of the AMOH family and a very patient instructor.

Thanks again Blesi
Tanya

Postby Tanya » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:50 pm

As some of you know Hollie has been trying out a loan pony for a couple of weeks she didn't know to begin with :shutup: - his name is Oklahoma (We've named him Charlie), he's a 12yr old, Gelding, Piebald and is 13HH - not much bigger than Polo but oh boy can he pop a jump - which is one of the main reasons for getting him.

We wanted a good transition from Polo to the next level and he been tried by Carole and another very experienced rider we also had another pony Pirate who again was a gelding, piebald, 9yrs old and 14hh. He to be honest was a bigger size but OMG he was so strong especially over the jumps took one of the experienced riders by surprised :shock: When Hollie did try she like him on the flat but when it came to the jumps - her face said it all and Carole said he's too strong - call it a day. He will be great for the next transition.

Hollie has done a few test rides on Charlie - the first day went really well apart from her leaning to far forward in XC and hitting the deck - already covered that in CRBar.

Yesterday was the final test her first hack out on him - Polo was also at the yard for the dressage lesson afterwards - she's doing a comp on him.

I was a nervous wreak as I know Polo and he takes care of her and I trust him ... this is uncharted territory for me :hide: :hide: Hollie was all :-D off they went - I still felt uneasy and kept thinking the phone would ring. (he had been out with Carole on a test hack and she said he seemed good) . Then the phone went :eek: :hide: it was Carole's partner John. SHIT she's come off hasn't she I asked - yumm not exactly :confused: :confused: they had been doing a canter and another pony kicked out at Charlie and caught Hollie on the shin and she and Charlie ended up in a ditch - he was driving her back.

When she arrived you see the wound was very deep and her fat layer was poking out :vomit:

Off we went to A&E where they had to give her gas to clean the wound and she had 8 stiches inside and another 6 to close up the skin. Luckily the shin bone wasn't broken or chipped.

She is OK but very sore and signed off school for the rest of the week.

GOOD NEWS is that Charlie was very good on the hack and wasn't strong or pulled.

This is Charlie (Oklahoma) - Hollie's new loan pony.

We are loaning for the season until June 2015 and then we are going to assess things.

Naff pic I know but I will take some more - I didn't take loads as we didn't want to get her hopes up if he was no good and had to leave.
Tanya

Postby Chevalblanc » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:06 pm

So who kicked her? I remember Fina used to kick out sometimes on hacks if she thought another horse was going to overtake her on a canter but she never connected with anything or anyone luckily.....
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby M-E » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:13 pm

He sounds a lovely pony :-D :-D Poor Hollie that sound painful :thumbdown:
M-E

Postby Tanya » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:50 pm

Chevalblanc wrote:So who kicked her? I remember Fina used to kick out sometimes on hacks if she thought another horse was going to overtake her on a canter but she never connected with anything or anyone luckily.....

It was Vergil = Emma's pony :sad:
Tanya

Postby Trudi » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:28 am

Ouch, poor Hollie :hug:
My hacking partner has a strictly no passing rule or he will swing out behind, makes you very aware of the horse in front.
Hope the leg is healed quickly and they can start to build their partnership, sweet pony!
Trudi

Postby Chevalblanc » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:51 am

Hmmm, guess Virgule isn't too keen on a new boy queering his pitch, they are the only 2 boys amongst the ponies after all.....

Looking forward to seeing more pics of Charlie :-D
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

PreviousNext

Return to Blogs