A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Fetlocks and Forelocks

Re: Fetlocks and Forelocks

Postby poneysPie » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:33 am

spottygiraffe wrote:They have literally all rotted after the same amount of time -5 years. The acacia posts we have are old ones from the vineyard. We've pulled them out and they're still as good as new.

spottygiraffe wrote:Are acacia piquets very expensive? I'm rebuilding my round-pen - ongoing job as you say, ground too hard, should have been finished in the spring - and using chestnut as I thought the posts that rotted were the oak ones I used because we had them I am soaking the bases in old engine oil this time.

There are some old chestnut posts around the fields some of which must be over 30 years old and are still good- so maybe it depends on the cut or something?

JennieF wrote:I always thought that chestnut was good too but the bottoms of the upright posts of my post and rail are def looking rotten and the fencing is starting to get a little bit wobbly .... whereas the rails which are creosote treated pine are absolutely fine ... and we did soak the ends of the uprights in a mix of engine oil and creosote ...

The difference there is the rails aren't actually in the ground, Jennie :wink:

I have had the "fence post" discussions with various people and it appears that the majority of fence posts need replacing every 5 years regardless of what type of wood is used. We use the rustic thick posts that the farmers use, I think they are pine, in 2m lengths. We treat the ends with creosote, we have even tried treating the whole post above the ground with the same heavy duty wood lacquer we use on the hanger but they always start to wobble and need replacing approx every 5 years. Ian the trimmer was saying the same and he is in Devon so I think the amount of rain and type of soil i.e., quick draining or water retaining is a factor too hence why you might get some longer living posts down South.

Apparently railway sleepers last forever but they are expensive, huge and heavy.
“Ask often; be content with little, praise a great deal.” (Nuno Oliveira)
poneysPie

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby spottygiraffe » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:07 pm

Thanks Nicky, that's useful :hurray:

The posts we use in the vineyard have a much longer life than 5 years. I'm pretty sure they're treated acacia, but I'll check with OH. I'd actually be tempted to use metal, but aesthetically they just don't do it for me.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby JennieF » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:46 pm

what about the new recycled plastic ones Sarah ??
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby spottygiraffe » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:49 pm

Oooh, haven't seen those yet! :thumbup:
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Previous

Return to Blogs