A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Fetlocks and Forelocks

Fetlocks and Forelocks

Postby spottygiraffe » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:48 pm

I'll be blogging on here about all three of my equines :horse: :horse: :horse:

Only one of them actually looks like that smiley though ;)

Just a little post to begin with: I schooled Isba today after a bit of a break and she was lovely. My niece Eleanor was riding Squaw at the same time and she put up a little cross pole. After a bit of deliberation I asked her to make it even littler and decided to have a pop. Approached in trot but Iz chose to canter and did a slightly bigger jump than I was expecting, but it was fine and I guess I have now broken my duck :beer: . I was so pleased with her that I got straight off and finished the session there. So maybe the Working Hunter in the ID champs is a faint possibility.....

Will try to get some schooling footage tomorrow to make sure I'm on the right lines.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Fetlocks and Forelocks

Postby Chevalblanc » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:10 am

Oooh, looking forward to footage! So she didn't try to bog off then? That's brilliant, she seemed so much calmer on our hack the other day..... :D
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby spottygiraffe » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:10 am

No, she didn't try to bog off but all this very calm behaviour is making me suspicious that she's not quite right. In trot today she felt wrong. I got Angus to trot her up for me and there was nothing obvious, but I think she's tentative behind. I think it is probably her feet -her bars are exceptionally long and she is sensitive to that. On her left hind she has a huge bit of bar that I tried to hack off with the knife but couldn't do it. Off to the farrier's shop tomorrow for reinforcements.

Can anyone see anything here? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHSVur0EPRc&feature=plcp

This is a little clip from our warm-up, before I noticed the problem. I'm working on not exaggerating my aids for laterals but I still find myself pretzelling at times. I can see from the vid that my o/s leg isn't stretched down either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLcKK7G3 ... e=youtu.be

As always, CC welomed :thumbup:
Sarah x

spottygiraffe

Postby Bonbon » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:51 pm

I'm no expert, but she looks a bit off in-front Sarah.
I haven't been around much on HT, but seen some of your recent vids and she's really coming along well. You must be chuffed to bits with her (and yourself too!!). :thumbup: :thumbup:
Bonbon

Postby Trudi » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:12 pm

Looks very relaxed :thumbup: but as Di says I would think off fore, in case it's soft tissue perhaps try some massage into her shoulders and some front leg stretches, hopefully nothing much to worry about.
Trudi

Postby spottygiraffe » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:33 am

Hi Di and great to have you back, Trudi :wave:

Thanks for watching -I'm so glad you've mentioned off-fore because I was getting fixated on it being a hind because I know she's got a couple of remaining mud fever scabs there and also that bit of long bar. I'll have another look later but am dashing off to the airport now.

Thank you :thumbup:

And yes Di, I am chuffed to pieces with how it's going -massive improvement since our lesson with Trudi, but I still can't get her going the way T did ;)
Sarah x

spottygiraffe

Postby spottygiraffe » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:57 pm

Well I had another look at Izzie and imo it is 2 things. I massaged her off-fore shoulder and it gave a huge 'click' at one point, which made her lick & chew. However, I think it might have been a knock-on effect from an issue with her near hind, as opposites are so often are. I trimmed her with my new kit and managed to take more off than I have for a couple of months and I unearthed the mother and father of all bruises where the bar meets the heel buttress. On that side she also had what looked like an overreach bruise (but on the hind) -I reckon it was internal and was caused by long heel/bar. It's less than 2 months since she had a proper trim, but this shows why I have to do her every 3-4 weeks. Now I've got my new bits and pieces I should be able to trim even during a drought.

Didn't trot her up, will leave her tonight and look tomorrow.

Also got some new mud fever cream to try to clear up the last few little scabs -smells of lavender, which I know is meant to be good for skin :thumbup:
Sarah x

spottygiraffe

Postby Trudi » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:15 pm

:thumbup: hope that solves it.
Trudi

Postby HighJinx » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:55 pm

Hope she is better soon :hug:
HighJinx

Postby spottygiraffe » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:04 pm

Thanks Janet. Her mud fever looks to have finally cleared up -I have been treating it for over 6 weeks and have got through 6 huge tubs of cream so I am blooming relieved. One great thing to come of it though -I have been clickering the treatment and yesterday she let me do it at liberty :hurray: Don't think she's unsound now but I'm just doing a bit of in-hand work for now.
Sarah x

spottygiraffe

Next

Return to Blogs