A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Yellow Horse and Little White Horse

Re: Yellow Horse and Little White Horse

Postby JennieF » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:09 pm

Having seen Lucie trying to drag the water dustbin away from the scary electric fence with her teeth because Fina wouldnt drink it, I'm not sure she will leave Fina to struggle with double hay nets ... :rofl: :rofl:
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Trudi » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:38 am

Did she really Jennie, how interesting.

You're just going to have to work her lots more- weather will be better for that going forwards :-D
Trudi

Postby littlewhitehorse » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:34 pm

Yes, work and exercise needed :-D so to that end, I got them out on Sunday, amazingly no chasse around :lol: but we had an audience, people in the gîte... As well as fat, Miss Fina is getting lazy, this is part of the problem, she doesn't use much energy, and made a few faces at being asked to trot around me :lol: so we had a little conversation quietly about attitude; today was more about seeing where we were picking up from and getting back together so just moved her around a bit, on the ground, noting her reactions and responses.

On Monday, glorious sunny mild day, I played with Fina again; what was really super was when I went to fetch them from the field, she was resting in the sunshine, and gave a little nicker of greeting :-D it is usually Lucie who is vocal, mainly about hay or buckets :lol: I did a bit of poo picking while Fina finished her siesta, then she came over to me at the gate, and Lucie followed. I think it is nicer and more friendly if I get into their timescale, not go straight in with an agenda and catch them. Of course, sometimes you have to find a way of hurrying things up if the vet is waiting, but I like them to think it is their idea and they are catching me because they want to come out and do interesting things.

I had thought about what I had learned from her responses the previous day, and her apparent willingness to be with me :-D so started with some looking for softness, I would like her to take up a feel from the reins and halter and shape a little before moving off, so we played with this on the ground, then I stood on the log mount and asked her to line up and put a leg over her back and slid on; that felt good, it's been a couple of months! I repeated the asking for soft feel then a few steps back and forward and sideways, then as all was going well, rode a bit in the paddock at walk, halt and back-up, around the tyres :-D So a good restart and connection re-established :-D

Today of course we are back to rain, cold and March giboulés (a bit premature :roll: ).
littlewhitehorse

Postby Tess and Organza » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:12 pm

Sounds wonderful :)
Tess and Organza

Postby Chevalblanc » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:58 pm

:thumbup:
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby JennieF » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:32 am

Trudi wrote:Did she really Jennie, how interesting.

Hi Trudi - sorry I missed your remark ... yes it was interesting having them here ... Lucie seemed to be at ease pretty much straight away but Fina worried about everything ... she didnt like the fencer ticking near the water and wouldnt drink so I moved the bin out into the field which was fine except they kept knocking it over so I moved it away from the fencer but next to the fence by the road - Lucie came over and had a drink, Fina hovered .. obviously wanting to drink, Lucie kept walking back to the bin and having a drink to show Fina that it was ok but Fina still didnt want to so Lucie grabbed the edge of the bin to try to pull it away from the fence ... it was too full for her to move it so I had to help :thumbup: eventually Fina accepted it by the fence but on the other side of the field ...

Although they were here for a few weeks Fina never really settled and it was very obvious that she depends a lot on Lucie for her security - its the same when we ride , she will happily lead as long as we dont get too far ahead.. as soon as we go too far she will spook or shy at something and I'm not surprised that she 'drops' Dan sometimes :lol:

When we loaded them to take them back to Sheila's Lucie was somewhat distracted so we led FIna through the van first, which was what we had done at Sheila's, but this time we tried to put the bars up so that we could leave her in and load Lucie second but she made it obvious that she was not going to cope at all with being alone in the truck ...

She is a funny little pony - so much more complicated than you would maybe think at first glance ....
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby Tess and Organza » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:49 pm

She sounds like the sort of person who likes everything to be as it always is :wink:
Tess and Organza

Postby Chevalblanc » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:05 pm

JennieF wrote:
She is a funny little pony - so much more complicated than you would maybe think at first glance ....

:agree: Definitely!
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby Trudi » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:04 pm

How lovely of Lucie :love:
Trudi

Postby spottygiraffe » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:18 am

Shame the weather is scuppering your plans to do more with them, Sheila. It's frustrating when you want to get on a roll with it but can't do much. The forecast is looking better for Friday so you might get a chance to do something then. Interesting reading about Jennie's perceptions of S and L.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

PreviousNext

Return to Blogs