A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Yellow Horse and Little White Horse

Re: Yellow Horse and Little White Horse

Postby Tess and Organza » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:35 am

ditto here, and the new job too...but the ladies move next weekend so the new start is evolving albeit at a stately pace :)
Tess and Organza

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby littlewhitehorse » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:36 pm

In a rare moment of lucidity, I managed to downsize and then upload some images from my phone :lol: taken on Sunday afternoon in sunshine. When I went down, Fina soon came ambling over but Lucie had a Do Not Disturb Me look.
img_20170319_210744-resized-500.jpg
Lucie's «do not disturb me» look
img_20170319_210744-resized-500.jpg (90.79 KiB) Viewed 116 times

Fina is generally first to move towards me and be pleased to see me and follow me. Today as Lucie was busy with her siesta, when Fine got to me she kept looking back to see if Lucie was coming, which she did, slowly. No problem, no rush, take more time so it takes less time...
img_20170319_143335-resized-500.jpg
«Are you coming or what?»
img_20170319_143335-resized-500.jpg (59.24 KiB) Viewed 116 times

After a long grooming session, as there is a lot of loose hair especially from furry Fina, I do a bit of groundwork with each one in turn. Lucie does not think she should have to do this and I don't really spend enough time with her on this discussion, we have a clear relationship and respect, although I admit I let her get away with very subtley ignoring me occasionally until she pushes the respect issue too far and I notice and we have to have a little conversation about e.g. how quickly she needs to move when I ask, then she looks mildly surprised, "oh you were talking to me" :lol: but with a much nicer attitude. Even so, it is as hard as ever to get her to offer in the generous way that Fina does. So as usual I do stuff with Fina instead, it is much more rewarding and she is happy to be with me and easily gets involved in my little projects. We end up with driving from zones 3, 4 & 5 around the paddock then we all go for a walk and take it in turns who leads. Having the 3m lead ropes allows me to be behind, if they stop when I stop, and I can influence their movements and turn them, without any pull on the rope, then I know they are responsive and listening to me, bit like long reining but less micromanagement. And they do love it when it is their turn in front, ears pricked (flicking back from time to time to check on us behind); it also enables me to check how they are moving. Both are walking out well and making me puff keeping up! Time to get back in the saddle and out on the trail.

Unfortunately we find a group of fallen trees blocking one of our regular tracks, two large pines which have brought down a couple of young oak trees, so quite a job even for a chainsaw, and on a path nobody except us and the odd walkers uses so no chance of the hunt or local farmers needing to clear it, and a long way to bring OH and the chainsaw. We manage to find a way round the obstruction by going off piste into the woods. I will need to come back with secateurs at least, and clear a path.

Fina furry back - scratch my butt :lol:
img_20170319_142612-resized-500.jpg
Scratch this please
img_20170319_142612-resized-500.jpg (62.31 KiB) Viewed 116 times
littlewhitehorse

Postby littlewhitehorse » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:00 pm

And yesterday, another fine afternoon, I managed to get them out again; after another long grooming session and more piles of loose hair everywhere :lol: I tacked up, first time for ages (memo to self: tack really does need cleaning occasionally and will feel much nicer :lol: ) and did some flexions with each of them. Then we went for a walk, first in hand then on the way back I got on Fina. I asked for vertical and horizontal flexions again, tryin to ask for softness before moving off, and not let Fina get into mindless hurry mode :lol: we have to think about those feet!

Before getting on, I did a nice little exercise with them both, asking each to move without the other one automatically responding, so asking Fina to step back, and Lucie to step forward; being very careful about which horse and what I am focusing on. It took a moment, then we all got it! Then I could look at one horse and move her sideways, or change my body position 90° and line that horse up, then do the same with the other. Lucie got really into it! A super little exercise for connection and focus for us all.

So this was my Preparation for Riding Out part 2 completed. Next time we will go for a short hack and I will ride both of them.
littlewhitehorse

Postby Chevalblanc » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:13 am

:thumbup:

Lovely photos. Scratch my butt is very familiar here too :wink:
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby Trudi » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:05 am

:love: that Fina bottom pic and Lucie's do not disturb :lol:

Some neat exercises Sheila- sounds like you really enjoyed it- all 3 of you.
Trudi

Postby littlewhitehorse » Tue May 30, 2017 4:41 pm

I have been away for a few days and come back to fat horses so the work starts all over again, they are now back in the small fields where there is less to eat, and trying to do something with Fina every day, although today it rained so I probably won't...
Back-tracking a few weeks, Dan had another fall off Seraphina, he decided that bareback riding looked easy and he would give it a go. I know I shouldn't have let him, but it's never that simple, anyway he just slid sideways and hit the ground with his shoulder resulting in a ruptured muscle and a trip to A&E :roll: so he will not be riding for a while. Also meant that he needed a lot of help with jobs around the house, so less horse time for me and back to ride and lead for Lucie.
Yesterday Jennie came over and rode Fina, and I rode and sometimes led Lucie. Jennie got some nice effort out of Fina once she got her thinking, it was good watching from behind how Fina engaged her quarters and placed her feet on a particularly steep downhill bit. Now let's see if I can get her a bit fitter and less fat before my instructor Jo comes in June.
littlewhitehorse

Postby Chevalblanc » Tue May 30, 2017 7:48 pm

Oops, poor Dan, what is it with blokes? One of the horseback archery lot fancied a go at riding G bareback when we went to the Nationals a couple of years ago and ended up on the floor too :roll:
Helen

Chevalblanc

Postby littlewhitehorse » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:59 pm

More than a month later, Dan's shoulder is still sore :roll: he has an RMI booked for mid July. Hasn't been riding since.

I should be writing about my lessons with my friend and instructor Jo but have been so busy since. I will catch up soon.

Managed to keep the weight down on the horses by restricted grazing, now I am strip grazing a field they have to cross another to get to. This morning Lucie appeared alone when I came out to do the chickens. I heard Fina calling from away in the other field. Went to look, closely followed by Lucie, and she had somehow got the wrong side of the fence, think she had been there all night. Sorted them out and extended the fence a bit. Not sure if Lucie had come looking for me to tell me about Fina, or to tell me she thought she should be on other side of the fence too :lol: Fina was fatter but distressed. I think she must have pushed through past the last pole which was set into the hedge and I didn't think a fat pony would be able to fit through the slight gap! :roll: Time to wire up the leccy again, have got a bit lazy about it.
littlewhitehorse

Postby M-E » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:54 am

Always amazes how they can get out but can't get back :lol: my power is not either I don't bother when there is lots of grass I always know when they think they are running short as they start to check the fencing :lol:
M-E

Postby Chevalblanc » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:14 am

M-E wrote:Always amazes how they can get out but can't get back :lol:

Coral did the same when the fence wasn't on. It's wired to the mains now :wink:
Helen

Chevalblanc

PreviousNext

Return to Blogs