A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Further Fun with Fabi

Re: Further Fun with Fabi

Postby fabikat » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:23 am

Thanks for the encouragement ladies.

We still have bad days and worse days and better days but over all we are improving. Depends which side of the coin I am looking at. If I compare to what we used to do I have a cheery smile but if I think about what I want it to be like and nit-pick and become over critical it can still be soul destroying LOL

So many things to work on improving .....it is getting the balance between trying for more and better and not allowing too much tension to creep back in again. However I can really notice when I have prepared a movement correctly and he responds well or I just jump in without preparing or am riding with tension myself and it affects his way of going. He is a great teacher.

Thanks Trudi, the canter is better. We still have times of rushing and being unbalanced but so much better than before.
Jennie he likes his walk/canter transitions and they can be too abrupt but at least if the energy is going up and forward rather than down onto the forehand and foreward we are heading somewhere with it.
katy x
fabikat

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby littlewhitehorse » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:16 am

:thumbup: Katy and Fabi :love:
littlewhitehorse

Postby spottygiraffe » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:51 am

Katy, a massive well done for your amazing achievement :cheerleader: That deserves to be shouted from the rooftops :hurray:

Well done you and well done Fabi :love:

I can see a difference in the video, not sure if I can put my finger on exactly what it is but maybe relaxation. Fabi is looking so well, he is a credit to you.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby fabikat » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:09 pm

Just wanted to note that I had a little break through with Fabi today. Bouncing off from the groundwork that I have been doing with Kaiser I thought I would try some with Fabi today. Well , I know it all seems back to front because Fabi should already be educated in this sense but I have never got on top of the groundwork with him if you remember. The lunging has largely been worked but nothing more as I was hesitant to undo any good that I had achieved. Well today showed how far we have come without even knowing it. I went armed with trusted stick with white flappy plastic bag stuck on end. After an initial panic from Fabi which formerly would have resulted in a spin and whipping rope from my grasp with hooves flailing today we gained control. And from thereon in we were able to progress with some work. So really looking forward to my Oliver Hilberger book arriving now :xmasgrin:
katy x
fabikat

Postby JennieF » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:37 am

:thumbup: :thumbup:
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby spottygiraffe » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:19 am

That's great, Katy. Clever Fabi :thumbup:
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Trudi » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:13 am

:thumbup: brilliant. What is the stick with the bag, think I must have missed something (not unusual :lol: )
Trudi

Postby fabikat » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:17 pm

LOL Trudi. It is just a stick with a bag Trudi :xmaslaugh:
Just using it to desensitise Fabi a little so he is not so reactive when I work with him inhand, and also if chose to ignore or block me it was easily used to gain his attention again.
I will probably have another play with him later. Maybe I will take him down to the arena where he normally takes liberties with me and see what happens. i am less worried about making mistakes now as I realise it will not be the end of everything and I can soon get us back where we need to be in the scheme of things :thumbup:
katy x
fabikat

Postby fabikat » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:07 pm

Anyone ever dabbled with horse agility? Cant get hooked on the inhand work atm and wanting to do a little something else with Fabi so was toying with playing with agility for a while.
If anyone has any experiences or info maybe they could start an agility thread.

Have no great illusions of ever doing 'proper' agility but need to keep Fabi occupied with something.
I am not going to be riding him in the near future as he is not moving right behind so my first course of action is a long spell unridden, and see how ,and if , things change.
Not going down the vet route atm because I fear it will be a long line of investigations possibly leading to no real conclusions. I am not prepared to enforce 24 hr stable rest on him so he will have gentle turn out and some play time with me hopefully.

Juan videod him cantering on the lunge for me today and it just makes me want to weep when I see it :cry: I think he has been battling with the issue for a while but been very generous to me.
katy x
fabikat

Postby Trudi » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:15 am

So sorry Fabi isn't right katy :hug: it's a shame the in-hand isn't working, it really is a great healer.
Helen and Sheila were quite interested in the agility so I'm sure they will have some info for you, I know the agility club has really taken off here in the UK.
Trudi

PreviousNext

Return to Blogs