A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Cycling

Like riding only with two wheels and no horse. Kinda...

Re: Cycling

Postby spottygiraffe » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:14 pm

Oh brilliant :lol:

:cycling: I am getting a bit too carried away with this bike lark and have decided I now need a road bike
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby fabikat » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:31 pm

Just read this thread for the first time, being as I am getting into this cycling lark.

I am impressed at some the distances you have covered Sarah :notworthy:

I've not reached the lycra stage yet :lol: ,infact I am still without my own bike. Why do you wish to buy a road bike Sarah? If I do buy one I may as well get it right. The bike I have been using is similar to yours.
I find it hard to run so will probably stick to the bike. My sister runs a lot so next time she's in spain I'll see if she can help me with my running.
katy x
fabikat

Postby spottygiraffe » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:23 pm

fabikat wrote:I am impressed at some the distances you have covered Sarah

No, don't be. I really enjoy the bike and it's something I've always done quite a lot of which I think helps, although I've never really had the right equipment. The right gear definitely helps to some extent -cycling shorts/leggings would be the one purchase I would definitely recommend assuming you've got a cycling helmet already. You are starting to do some serious distances and if you are enjoying it then it won't be a fad so worthy of a bit of investment. Tight-fitting tops help and lycra is good because it keeps you warm but not too hot. I've got a high-vis windproof jacket that is good. I've got cycling gloves too, which are really grippy, but I haven't gone as far as getting the shoes (yet) so am cycling in my running shoes.

The reason I want a road bike is for competing in the triathlon(s) next year. There is much less drag with skinny tyres so you go much faster, but they're not suitable for any surface except nice smooth roads. I like exploring tracks and paths too, which is why I've got the hybrid bike at the moment, but it will slow me down in the race. Angus is going to buy a road bike and fancies doing some long rides (50k +) so I won't be able to keep up on my current bike. At the moment he can't keep up with me because his bike is more of a mountain bike with big treads :lol: . If you enjoy riding on different surfaces and going exploring then a hybrid bike is perfect, but if you ever might want to do a race or you just go on roads then maybe a road bike would be better. I think maybe you should train for something -you are obviously very motivated! Duathlon? Triathlon? Do you like swimming too? You can easily learn to run, especially if your friend helps you get started. It's fine to run-walk-run-walk. I couldn't run 100 metres in May but you progress really quickly. It's great training in 3 sports because it keeps you interested and you're less likely to get injured, plus it works a wider range of muscles :thumbup:
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Previous

Return to Cycling