A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Planking

Swimming, Zorbing, Triathlon, Hang Gliding. It's all here.

Re: Planking

Postby M-E » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:19 pm

poneysPie wrote:First go and I managed 70 secs, surely I can't be doing it right :hmmm:

Just think of all that poo picking you do, Nicky, really good for those muscles I think
M-E

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby spottygiraffe » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:51 pm

70 secs, wow Nicky!

Trudi I think 3 reps is plenty -it might even be too much. I know when you get up to a minute or more you only need to do one.

I'm just back from athletics and we did some variants of planking -blooming heck it was hard! We had to get into the plank position and jump up and down with our feet for 30 seconds. Other ones were side planks whilst moving your hips up and down and various leg raises etc. There was lots of moaning and groaning going on, mainly from Angus....
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby fabikat » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:00 pm

I have done a bit of planking although not lately. Not sure what I could manage now, will try tomorrow maybe. I keep meaning to make it a daily thing but something usually stops me doing it. Don't think I ever reached two minutes though.
I have also done some of those horrible jumps from the plank position, can't remember the name they gave it, was really hard work. Think I cheated too much.
katy x
fabikat

Postby Trudi » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:46 am

Definite improvement today, 30 secs feels like 20 used to :lol:
Sarah I know I was interested in your article in my newsletter that the stretch before idea is out but what could I do with the plank....currently I do some tai chi style posture stretches, not to stretch me but correct my posture and some crunches, could I stop crunching if I do the planking?
Trudi

Postby littlewhitehorse » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:52 am

I think I need a dictionary (and a new body :lol: ); what are six packs, reps and crunches??
littlewhitehorse

Postby spottygiraffe » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:12 am

littlewhitehorse wrote:I think I need a dictionary (and a new body ); what are six packs, reps and crunches??

LOL, Sheila! For a start you are lovely and slim already!

This is the footballer Ronaldo showing his 6 pack:
http://sv6.postjung.com/picpost/data/24 ... 4aa1b3.jpg

Reps = repetitions

Cruches = kind of sit-ups without going the whole way up to sitting.

Trudi wrote:Sarah I know I was interested in your article in my newsletter that the stretch before idea is out but what could I do with the plank....currently I do some tai chi style posture stretches, not to stretch me but correct my posture and some crunches, could I stop crunching if I do the planking?

I could go on about it all day, Trudi, so glad someone is interested!!! Congrats on getting to 30 seconds already. Stretching beforehand is fine as long as it is dynamic and you incorporate movement -as in your tai chi. If you know you're uneven then you might want to work your weaker side a bit more. Crunching works just the abs more than the core. If you don't do exercises that work all of your abs (crunches don't) then there's probably not a huge amount of point because you can cause other problems. I squished my internal organs last year by only doing crunches, but that's another story. I think strengthening the core is way more important than working just the abs in isolation, so if you've got a limited amount of time then just do the planking. You can start to incorporate side planks and upside-down planks, which do work the abs too. If you want to do more specific abs stuff then I prefer the medicine ball to doing crunches. It's basically a weighted ball that you get someone (Loobs!) to throw for you while you hold certain positions. If you vary the position it works different muscles. It's tough but it's fun because you do it with a partner and I find it easier to concentrate on catching the ball rather than doing boring reps of crunches.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Trudi » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:52 pm

:thumbup: thanks Sarah think I will vary it a bit then so I don't get bored. The crunches really seem to help my aging flabbiness :thumbdown: I do the side ones and the opposite ones where you lift les/bum up using tummy...no idea what they are called :lol: ball sounds good idea but our house is sooo small I doubt we could manage to find a space suitable.
Off to Google upside down planks :eek:
Trudi

Postby Tanya » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:07 pm

Hehehe nearly had a fit when I saw this thread but hey I'm an Essex girl :lol:

Gonna have a go at this tomorrow..... bet I last about 5 secs - to much chocolate over christmas
Tanya

Postby M-E » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:02 pm

60 seconds :thumbup: :thumbup:
M-E

Postby Tanya » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:20 pm

Err lots of practice me thinks

Me 9 secs
Hollie 12 secs
Ben 29 Secs -
Tanya