A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Planking

Swimming, Zorbing, Triathlon, Hang Gliding. It's all here.

Re: Planking

Postby littlewhitehorse » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:30 pm

Thanks for the translations, the compliment and the :shock: photo! Might be slim(ish) but like Trudi, need to combat the ageing flabbiness too so better give all this a go; good to get all the tips :thumbup:
littlewhitehorse

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Chevalblanc » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:47 pm

I can just about manage 30 now......
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby spottygiraffe » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:57 am

Yay to mega-improvements for CB and ME :thumbup: Tan, you will see an improvement really quickly! Angus finds it really hard -he can do about 30s but it kills him.

Trudi wrote:The crunches really seem to help my aging flabbiness I do the side ones and the opposite ones where you lift les/bum up using tummy

Sounds like you are working most of the different muscles then, which is perfect. From what you've said I think if you include some leg raises too then that will be the whole package.

Took this from the Livestrong website...

Crunching from the Bottom Up:

To focus on the lower portion of your abs, do reverse crunches. This exercise involves lifting your legs and pelvis and contracts more muscle fibres in your lower abs than your upper abs. To perform reverse crunches, lie on your back with your legs raised at a 90-degree angle to your body. Bend your knees and cross your ankles. Pull your knees toward your chest by raising your hips and pulling your pelvis toward your rib cage. Do three sets of as many reps as you can.

More info here http://www.livestrong.com/article/41809 ... lower-abs/
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby M-E » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:44 am

I have got to 90 seconds :shock:
M-E

Postby JennieF » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:02 pm

M-E wrote:I have got to 90 seconds :shock:

:cheerleader: :cheerleader: well done M-E

I have been forgetting to do it - really struggling to do 45 seconds :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby spottygiraffe » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:35 pm

Well done ME :cheerleader: Wow, I am feeling hunted. Better try for 2 1/2 mins!!!!
Sarah x

spottygiraffe

Postby Trudi » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:48 pm

M-E that's great :thumbup: I'm on 50 secs and I won't say it's easy...certainly won't be catching you Sarah :rofl:
I started the HIT thing today http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17177251
Trudi

Postby spottygiraffe » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:04 pm

Ah yes, HIIT. I'm a huge believer in interval training -I think you have to stress your body to improve. But I also think that you have to incorporate steady aerobic exercise that is maintained for 30 mins + in conjunction with it (walking briskly would count). I think I'm right in thinking that this new book advocates only doing 3 HIIT sessions per week, equating to about an hour in total. I think he is looking at it in terms of weight loss rather than general fitness -the theory is that it suppresses appetite more than anything else. I use intervals to get stronger and faster -with running if I always ran at the same pace I would always run at the same pace so I push myself out of my comfort zone for shorter bursts. HIIT has been around forever but more is known about the science of it now I guess.
Sarah x

spottygiraffe

Postby Candy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:12 pm

I've always found HIIT to be too structured for me. Also, I do no more than 3 "quality" (aka intense) sessions a week. The tend to be one session each of fartlek, hill repeats and tempo.

The idea of doing 3 real HIIT sessions a week strikes me as a way to place incredible strain on your body. How could you possibly recover properly between them?
Candy

Postby Trudi » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:48 pm

Waaay too tech for me guys :lol: I'm just doing it because the science seems to suggest many benefits and I don't have to go to the gym or don running gear to do it, winter on Exmoor is not conducive to running if, like me, you like a gentle jog rather than a slog round in the mud. I walk the dog for about an hour most days and muck out, pooh pick, run hay etc so I'm not too worried that I'm not getting enough of the gentle stuff. I'm running like mad up the hill back to the yard after turning the boys out it's about 30 secs of hard slog and I'll do it every day...will let you know how it goes, I do love a fad :lol:
Trudi

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sporting Pastimes