A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Olympics

Swimming, Zorbing, Triathlon, Hang Gliding. It's all here.

Re: Olympics

Postby FlorayG » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:21 pm

Do you remember Rex the Robber? some days he would jump and win everything and some days he just wouldn't and Alwin would just shrug..and which was the one with the swirly tail?
FlorayG

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Chevalblanc » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:30 pm

No, he was a bit before my time. My favourite was always John Whitaker's Ryan's Son. I remember watching them get silver in LA in 1984. He always rode him in the same bit, a snaffle that apparently the horse had come with as a 4 year old. How times have changed.....although the Whitaker brothers are still on the Olympic team :lol:
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby Chevalblanc » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:20 pm

BMX riding tonight, how mad are they? :cycling: :random:
Helen

Chevalblanc

Postby spottygiraffe » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:49 pm

I agree, the BMX is insane and the keirin is downright weird! Laura Trott is incredible and the whole cycling team work their butts off. Angus said that he bets wine o'clock in the Kenny/Trott household is really boring :lol:

I've got the SJ on and just saw the second round by Philippe Rozier on a beautiful grey stallion. He had a ton of machinery and was using the French death grip so the poor horse was overbent to try to avoid the bit and opening and closing his mouth the whole time :cry: Nick Skelton up soon -I've been watching him since I was a kid too, amazing that he's still competing at this level. I remember Ryan's Son, but Milton was always my coup de coeur -just the right era for a pony-mad teen.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Chevalblanc » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:27 pm

Well done Nick, not bad getting a gold at the age of 58!

Whatever you do, don't watch the Modern Pentathlon riding, truly appalling :sad:

Synchronised swimming though, completely bonkers!!
Helen

Chevalblanc

Postby Trudi » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:29 pm

Heard on the news he won gold :eek: and he's older than me :lol: went to same school as me and we were in the same riding club...cannot imagine still being on the SJ circuit- deserves a medal for that!
Trudi

Postby spottygiraffe » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:36 pm

Nick Skelton -that is very cool. I haven't watched his round yet -what was it like? Trudi -they are some very close links you have with him!

Apparently the synchronised swimmers put in the most hours out of all the Olympic athletes. They do a 48-hour week!!! Can you imagine? I get bored swimming for 30 minutes. That's longer than the French working week :random: They must have to eat a huge amount of food. Michael Phelps eats 10,000 calories a day, not because he burns that many by actually swimming but because he spends so much time in the water that his body is constantly trying to keep warm. It's a really fascinating subject.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby M-E » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:04 pm

Woo Hoo go Tom Daley, amazing stuff, must watch the finals tomorrow night :hurray:

Saw a couple of jumpers then they had the break so I also watched the synchronised swimming and wow are they multi skilled and super fit, Great about Nick :thumbup: :thumbup:
M-E

Postby Chevalblanc » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:58 am

Hope Tom gets a gold......

Gutted for our Taekwondo bloke, lost the gold in the last couple of seconds of the bout!! Éowyn has decided she wants to take up the sport....not sure whether we want her learning to kick people in the head :lol:
Helen

Chevalblanc

Postby M-E » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:10 pm

Despite Tom failing spectacturly failing to get to the finals, they where amazing, some totally awesome diving, the Chinese lad was on a different plane, I really wanted the French lad to get a medal but he missed bronze by just a few points.
M-E

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sporting Pastimes