A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

T'ai Chi, Qigong and Walking!!

Swimming, Zorbing, Triathlon, Hang Gliding. It's all here.

T'ai Chi, Qigong and Walking!!

Postby Tess and Organza » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:29 am

Can't run ever again now. My back is too fragile. I used to walk alot, and fast, didn't take my driving test till I was 30 so I was very used to walking everywhere and very efficient, even heavily pregnant I regularly walked 15km. I've got lazy and I think walking is undervalued as an exercise. I've decided that I need to accept my crooky middle aged body and try to build from there to get it working well, get it strong and healthy, so I've stepped up my walking efforts and I'm aiming for the 40km de Soussac in April 2013 which I completed in 2010 but missed out the last two years.
T'ai Chi and Qigong has kind of literally arrived at my door and I can't say much about it in one go except that I am literally amazed by how good it makes me feel.
Going back to Yoga twice a week soon too. I want my body and mind to be in some kind of harmony for once :lol:
Tess and Organza

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: T'ai Chi, Qigong and Walking!!

Postby Chevalblanc » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:55 pm

I have vaguely heard of T'ai Chi, never heard of Qigong, but with you on the walking, have always done lots......
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby Late Starter » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:47 pm

I have had a few Tai Chi lessons and have practised Aikido with people who practice Tai Chi. I have been impressed with their standard of co-ordination. Only once have I met a serious Qigong student and he was also impressively co-ordinated. Probably much better than Aikido for a fragile back (not so much being thrown and having to roll). My present regime features Aikido classes at least twice per week, yoga and riding. The guys at work think I am suspiciously well in touch with my feminine side. How long have you been studying Tai Chi?
Late Starter

Postby Tess and Organza » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:37 pm

you've got an impressively balanced regime LS :thumbup: feminine side? I don't think so ;)...my T'ai Chi,well only since the last six weeks is it?,as my sister's man was over on holiday and teaches T'ai chi and Qigong in ireland so he started me off. i've been a yoga student in the past and after a long pause am doing that again too, how could I have forgotten how much I get from yoga, it's amazing :love:
i've found some aspects of the t'ai chi really difficult, I had some dance training long long ago and it's really hard to remove a certain kind of posture tension in my arms which of course is the reverse of what we want. even the tigers mouth was hard for me as my hands would not relax. i'm getting there now though. :thumbup:

I'm keeping up my walking folks! approx 100 km so far over two and a bit weeks, i wanted to do a 15k today keeping up the pace, as it was such a beautiful day but am on a strong anti biotic course which is making me a tad fragile...

my eldest son is just about to start an Aikido course btw!
Tess and Organza

Postby Chevalblanc » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:40 am

Tess and Organza wrote:

I'm keeping up my walking folks! approx 100 km so far over two and a bit weeks!

:thumbup: You can come and join us on the AMOH Challenge thread if you like!
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby littlewhitehorse » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:16 am

They all sound good, I would like to try some of these things, have never done any of them. Good luck with getting back in shape, and the walking sounds impressive too :thumbup:
littlewhitehorse

Postby Trudi » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:33 am

They all sound good, I would like to try some of these things

:agree:
Trudi

Postby Late Starter » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:52 pm

Relaxation is a funny thing. As you strive to get the position, you lose relaxation and it gets more difficult. That is certainly how it goes in Yoga and Aikido, so I guess the same in Tai Chi. The secret is to take it as far as you can without straining. The next stage comes when you think you are relaxed and your teacher looks at you and says something like "you just need to relax a bit more". I know about this bit, it has happened to me and I have said it to my students. I have to say the look of puzzlement followed by "but I thought I was relaxed" makes me smile on the inside (mainly because I have been there). In fact I hear it now during my riding lessons. It may help to focus on process rather than objective. Make each movement an exercise in being entirely in the present. Let the movement become the meditation. Keep with the programme, you will get there quicker by not striving to get there......
Late Starter

Postby Tess and Organza » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:03 pm

Ummm, your words are familiar... ;)
Tess and Organza

Postby Tess and Organza » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:24 am

..... the fundamental principles include living in accordance with nature, simple living, and the idea that happiness and peace arise through living in the present. Hey, sounds like what horses do, doesn’t it?

It’s my plan as well.... quoted from the reflexions blog at http://reflectionsonriding.com/

and also what my t'ai chi teacher talked to me about too ;)
Tess and Organza

Return to Other Sporting Pastimes