A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

AMOH Challenge

Swimming, Zorbing, Triathlon, Hang Gliding. It's all here.

AMOH Challenge

Postby spottygiraffe » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:30 pm

A few of you have expressed an interest in participating in a challenge similar to the 5 x 50 that Helen, Mike and I have been doing. I think we three would also like to carry on doing something, so why not get as many of us all doing it together and supporting each other?

Any ideas very welcome -we can design a challenge that is accessible and realistic so that everyone can join in and log their progress on here if they wish. I will start a new thread for it when we have decided what exactly the challenge is....

I was thinking that we could be really ambitious and do a 5 x 300, but over a whole year, so that would mean 65 'days off' to be taken at any time to allow for holidays, illness, miserable weather, commitments, hangovers..... The '5' means 5 kilometres per day of walking, running, cycling, swimming, using gym equipment or any combination of the above. It doesn't have to be 5k in one block, it could be 5 x 1k walks in a day. It doesn't even have to be 5k, although that seems like a good distance because it is far enough to have to make extra effort, but not too far as to be off-putting.

Would we want to include horse riding? If we did I can't help thinking we would have to 'charge double' because 5k riding is much less effort than 5k swimming (kudos to anyone who manages that!!!!) -so perhaps horse miles should be halved (10k hack = 5k in the bank). Or should we have a scale of effort for all of the disciplines using some kind of points system, such as awarding ourselves more points for running than walking? Let me know what you think.

The idea is not to be competitive with each other or to raise sponsorship money, but just individually to do regular exercise. I have definitely found it very motivating logging all my 5 x 50 stuff.

Let me know if you're interested and any thoughts and ideas on what would work for you would be great.

:running: :cycling:
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: AMOH Challenge

Postby fabikat » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:19 pm

I'm up for it Sarah. Can't add anything to the ideas but lets see what others have to say. I guess I would need something to measure the distance I cover, what does everyone else use?
katy x
fabikat

Postby Chevalblanc » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:01 pm

Great idea, Sarah, I'm up for it. Would be great if riding counts too purely from a time point of view for me! The idea of double on a horse is good, I counted my 10 k endurance as one of the 5x50 as it was harder work than cycling 5k!

Katy I use an app called Everytrail on the iPhone to record my distances.....
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby spottygiraffe » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:10 pm

Katy, before I got my all-singing-all-dancing watch I used to use Google maps to plot where I'd been.

I still log everything I do on www.runkeeper.com which uses Google maps and it is really accurate. You can plan your route before you go or just see hpw you get on and plot it when you get back. It's free to join and it's not just for running, it's for anything. If you do join find me and we can be streetmates!

Chevalblanc wrote:Would be great if riding counts too purely from a time point of view for me! The idea of double on a horse is good, I counted my 10 k endurance as one of the 5x50 as it was harder work than cycling 5k!

Yes, well I think endurance or any competitive riding could probably count without the distance being halved, but it might be too confusing to have different scales. Unless we do have a points system -it would be easy enough to work one out because I think we'd probably all agree what was more effort. Then it might encourage people to push it a bit harder and run instead of walk or swim instead of cycle...trot instead of walk..... I'd be happy to work a system out, or we could just keep it really simple and go with the flow. Let me know.
Sarah x

spottygiraffe

Postby fabikat » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:24 am

Thanks for the ideas on the apps Helen and Sarah. I remember Helen commenting on Everytrail app at the beginning of the year and I did download it then but never got round to using it properly so thought I would try it again today.
Went for a stroll around the campo, nothing strenuous just wanted to see if I could figure it out and try taking fotos too.
Well managed to get a 'trip' done but it is in miles, can I change the configuration?
Had to do lots of retracing my steps to avoid going too far, will have a go on bicycle next time. Trouble is there are no roads round here only the motorway, and I can't see me running or cycling on the motorway :lol: Sometimes when it is not wet I could pass across fields but today it was too wet. Would have been ok on horseback though :horse:
When I arrived home and figured out how to register and upload and download and dance a little jig I came across 'the trip' that I had unknowingly managed to record when I first used it in January. I had wanted to see how far I rode when schooling Fabi one day and didn't think I had got it working, But there it was stored in all it's glory.
Had great fun using it today so will definitely be using it again, just want kilometres and not miles please...
Can't work out how to post a link for it either :banghead:
so anyway, I walked 3 miles today and in January I rode Fabi for 5.5 miles
katy x
fabikat

Postby fabikat » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:30 am

right ok, changed the miles to kilometres, easy peasy, walked 4.4 km and rode 9 km
now to work out how to post a link....
katy x
fabikat

Postby fabikat » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:42 am

let's see if these links work...

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1848061 the test run (or should I say walk) today

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1848134 and for a laugh here you can see me charging around madly in the arena :lol:
katy x
fabikat

Postby spottygiraffe » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:46 pm

I think you need to change the privacy settings, Katy. I can't see it -and I really want to see the hooleying!
Sarah x

spottygiraffe

Postby fabikat » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:48 pm

I thought that might happen, will try searching for the privacy settings again.....

Don't know if I can change the setting for them once they are uploaded, they seem to be locked and can't see anything to change it. Maybe you have to change the setting before uploading, no idea... :banghead: :random:
I'm sure Helen will enlighten me when she can ;)
katy x
fabikat

Postby Chevalblanc » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:38 am

fabikat wrote:
Don't know if I can change the setting for them once they are uploaded

You can, just click on edit story and next to the title is a button to change it from private to public.....

So when are we thinking of starting this? Jan 1st? Shall we call it The Three Hundred?
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Next

Return to Other Sporting Pastimes