A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Aikido

Swimming, Zorbing, Triathlon, Hang Gliding. It's all here.

Aikido

Postby Late Starter » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:19 pm

Yes, I could not resist it. I do not run and do not own a bike. The quest for enlightenment by hitting with sticks has been an ongoing mission for the last 19 years now. Since my club now pays for itself, I could afford to develop a horse habit. Striving not strive becomes a way of life. Therefore I open a new topic on Aikido, a subjecty I can waffle on about for a long time before I show my ignorance. But never fear I will keep it brief. Off the Somerset for my first course as a 5th Dan. I will be the shiniest new 5th Dan on teh mat and that will be an object lesson in humility. Should set me up for next weeks riding lesson...
Late Starter

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Aikido

Postby spottygiraffe » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:56 pm

Alick, I can just see why you are a friend of Mike's -you come across in a similar way!

Looking forward to hearing more of your 'waffle' -I always thought Aikido was a breed of dog :lol:

So.... where on the scale is a 5th Dan? Forgive my ignorance.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Chevalblanc » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:13 pm

Don't get him started about his keys, you'll be there for hours...... ;) :lol:
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby littlewhitehorse » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:29 pm

So... what is aikido? Start waffling mister... :D
littlewhitehorse

Postby Trudi » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:29 pm

littlewhitehorse wrote:So... what is aikido? Start waffling mister... :D

Agreed, waffle away...
Trudi

Postby Late Starter » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:32 pm

OH goody! An invitation to waffle. Thank you little white horse and Trudi. For the benefit of spotty giraffe, 5th Dan is when you get to stop wearing a black belt and go back wearing a white belt. I was promoted earlier in the year. I make a better class of mistake now.
The simple and unhelpful answer is that Aikido is a Japanese martial art developed in the 20th Century by O Sensei. While this is all correct and precise, it does not explain anything. Aikido depends on developing co-ordination of mind and body. What does this mean? Sports psychologist would probably use the phrase "in the zone" to describe co-ordination of mind and body. For a student of Aikido there are 4 principles of co-ordination of mind and body
1 Think of your one point
2 Completely relax
3 Have a light posture
4 Extend your mind
Having spent 19 years making a right pig's ear out of applying these principles to myself and working with a partner in the dojo, for some reason I thought I could apply them to riding a horse. Perhaps these days, my mistakes are not only classier, but on a more grandiose scale. My instructor, Tess and my usual mount, Fizz, have shown great patience....
Late Starter

Postby M-E » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:08 pm

Intresting stuff late starter (welcome by the way :wave: ) all I know about Aikido is that Mark Rashid is a big fan and teachs it along side his riding stuff.
I look forward to more waffle :thumbup:
M-E

Postby Late Starter » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:56 pm

Just back from 5th/6th Dan only group course in Somerset. Lots of work with Jo (short staff - no giggles there cheval blanc) kata (set movements - a bit like a dressage test) reinforced with partner attacking with Bokken (wooden sword). This makes sure that attacks and defences are accurate. All topped off with defences against the Jo. When you have got the principles right it is all effortless. So effortless that you might almost think the whole thing was a put up job, except you know it isn't. This is when it becomes a zen thing - you win without fighting. I have glimpses of the same thing from time to time in the saddle, but less often so far (heavens to Betsy, it took some years to catch the feeling on the mat). The longer I have been practising I find I learn quicker. By this I mean I am able to recognize and correct mistakes more quickly and then recognize when I am doing things right (or more precisely, less wrong). My riding intsructor has said that I pick things up quickly. This means either that learning quicker is transferable between disciplines, or she has recognized a cash cow.......
Time to wrap a wholly satisfactory day up with a bottle of South African Shiraz/Viognier. Tasty.
Late Starter

Postby Chevalblanc » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:21 am

Late Starter wrote: My instructor, Tess and my usual mount, Fizz, have shown great patience....

At some point we are going to need some pics/vid of your lessons, you know....... ;)
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby Trudi » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:36 am

Thanks for the info on Aikido :thumbup:

At some point we are going to need some pics/vid of your lessons, you know....... ;)

Indeed we are ;)
Trudi

Next

Return to Other Sporting Pastimes