A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Aikido

Swimming, Zorbing, Triathlon, Hang Gliding. It's all here.

Re: Aikido

Postby Late Starter » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:38 pm

Would those be the Aikido lessons or the riding lessons? There are spies everywhere dammit!
Late Starter

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Late Starter » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:39 pm

The world turns upside down! When I started riding, I had a comfortable (arrogant, smug?) assumption that my Aikido experience would aid my equestrian endeavours. No doubt about it, it has. Tonight the world turned upside down. I was doing some gentle co-ordination exercises while my brown belt students threw each other all over the mat in preparation for their black belt gradings next year. Suddenly the thought struck me that it might be interesting to try the feeling in my hips and lower abdomen (one point for the cognescenti out there) that I had when sitting trotting and cantering (very strong idea of this feeling after last weeks riding lesson which went so well that it took about 48 hours for me to come down off the high :hurray: ). Suddenly the sense of co-ordination got stronger. My cutting with the Bokken (wooden sword) became more accurate and controlled. I had discovered that my sense of co-ordination (one point if you prefer) had moved up a gear! :D Now to turn this into a virtuous circle of positive re-inforcement. Riding now offers me new insights into Aikido. The way of harmony and the way of the horse may be one. The force flows through all living things :lightsabre: See I used it Helly :tongue:
Late Starter

Postby Chevalblanc » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:38 am

:D
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby Chevalblanc » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:52 am

Here's an article from a dressage site for you, Alick:

http://www.artisticdressage.com/articles/aikido.html

The human tendencies that prevent and resist our progress are the same whether it be aikido, classical dressage, or any endeavor that requires a lifetime to master.
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby fabikat » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:00 pm

Interesting article Helen. How on earth do find these things :!: :?: :computer:
katy x
fabikat

Postby Late Starter » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:46 pm

Helly, you obviously have far too much time on your hands :xmasgrin: A good post. I am sure riding instructors like aikido teachers must go through the same mental assessment of new students. I recognize the description of the dabbler and the obsessive all too well. I would add that diligent high quality practise is critical, but the often overlooked bit is that the commitment to practice must be at a level that you can sustain without compromising your daily life. Aikido is for life. Life is not for Aikido. I have seen too many marriages broken on the altar of training and teaching. I have seen what obsessive practice can do, it is truly the way to the dark side :vader: Slow and steady wins the race.
Late Starter

Postby Tess and Organza » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:53 pm

somehow i have completely missed this post...can't find my specs to read it all, will have a trawl tommorrow, just the kind of stuff i like...and I missed it :roll:

I have seen too many marriages broken on the altar of training and teaching.
oo-eerr!! :lol:
Tess and Organza

Postby Late Starter » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:39 pm

I have not posted on this thread for a while. One of my students went for 1st Dan (black belt) a few weeks ago and made an absolute cock up of it. All the training to be relaxed and calm went out the window/ He resorted to trying to outmuscle his partners. The grading officer ended stopping the grading early. A classic case being able to lead teh horse to water, but not being able to make it drink.
Since then I have been concentrating on exercises with one finger (that sounds dodgier than intended). The idea is that the attacking partner (uke) holds the defending partner's (nage) finger. Nage makes the exercise with uke following precisely. Any tension or forcing is quickly shown up as the finger is likely to snap. If your principle of relaxation is sound, then the exercise will be effortlessly effective. When you return to a more conventional exercise, the effortless relaxation should be retained. It remains to see if all this clever theory has the desired effect...
Late Starter

Postby Tess and Organza » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:18 am

omg reading through this thread, I have to start to learn about aikido, everything here is right on my wave length, when you coming over to see Helen, Alick? I predict a long chat and a few beers :-D
Tess and Organza

Postby Late Starter » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:49 pm

Should be down at chez Barnes-Short by about 1700 on 2/4. That of course depends on french fishermen, farmers, policemen etc not causing problems. Heading back to St Malo on 11/4. Will bring beer from a local brewery. I am hoping to spend time drinking wine, eating cheese and (fingers crossed) spending time with, and on, horses. Sounds like we can trade! :-D
Late Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sporting Pastimes