A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Triathlon

Swimming, Zorbing, Triathlon, Hang Gliding. It's all here.

Triathlon

Postby spottygiraffe » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:52 am

Go on then, I'm going to start a thread about this even though I'm slightly in denial at having agreed to do one. But I have nearly a whole year to prepare for it so I have no excuse -and it's only half a sprint distance, so that's a 300 metre lake swim followed by a 9k cycle (albeit hilly) then a 2.5k run. You then have lunch and do it all over again if you want to, but that's not my aim at the mo. I could probably muddle round it once now, but I'd rather like to do it and not make a complete fool of myself in the process. I watched it this year and times ranged from about 30 minutes to just over an hour, so I suppose I'd like to aim for about 50 minutes.

My main challenge is learning front crawl. There were people doing breaststroke but they were so much slower. I can do about 3 strokes of crawl before swallowing half the pool and drowning, but I do have a friend staying with me who used to be a competitive swimmer. She has watched me swim and reckons I will be ok because I'm not worried about putting my head under, I just need better technique, which she can help me with.

I haven't got a training plan as such, I'm just going to try to do 2 x runs, 2 x bike and 1 x swim per week over the winter. In the spring I suppose I'll have to look at interval training but I don't imagine I'll enjoy it!

So.....anyone else in?!
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Triathlon

Postby Candy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:04 pm

spottygiraffe wrote:So.....anyone else in?!

Quite possibly. I fancy having a go a Tri and was planning to do a Sprint or two next year as a taster. Could quite happily start with a couple of halves...
Candy

Postby spottygiraffe » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:58 pm

Yay Candy :balloon: Well it's in Luton and it's next August. The first 50 from the first half-sprint get to go in an 'elite' group and then everyone else can go again in a kind of wooden spoon race if they want to.

If anyone has any tips or advice then please please do give them up because I haven't a clue.

I might do the 10k race in Montauban in March as a warm-up, so maybe Candy should do the Monty marathon.....?
Sarah x

spottygiraffe

Postby Candy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:25 pm

The Montaubon dates I can find are 7th April next year. Which is good because I really want to do this again in mid-March.
Candy

Postby Trudi » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:16 am

I did respond to this yesterday but must have cross posted. I can't crawl well either Sarah! Patrick is definitely up for trying the short triathlon, he'll know more when he gets back to training in the next couple of weeks. I doubt I will but I'll do the training :D
Trudi

Postby spottygiraffe » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:31 am

Excellent, April for Monty then -my first ever competitive sports event (excluding horse things). And Trudi, if you're going to do the training with Patrick then you could always enter nearer the time ;)

The tips Jacqui has given me for the crawl so far have been never to kick with my whole leg -only below the knee and to really really bend my arms, neither of which I was doing. She said don't look down either -have my eyes like car headlights looking mainly forwards.
Sarah x

spottygiraffe

Postby spottygiraffe » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:43 am

So, I went for my first swim practise today. Oh dear! My tactics were do a few strokes front crawl and revert to breaststroke when I started drowning. I have never done front crawl before so it was a bit of a steep learning curve. I soon realised that breathing every third stroke wasn't going to work because I was gasping for air which made the drowning worse, so I started breathing every stroke which was exhausting because I had to roll my whole body so that my head was far enough out of the water... I'm sure noone else was doing that :confused: There were times when I got into a reasonable rhythm and I managed to do a whole length of FC at the end, but I was absolutely finished by the end. This is going to be really hard! I have never found swimming that aerobic before but I was still heavy breathing in the car home.

Angus has pretty much decided to join me doing the triathlon, so that will be fun training together.

The swimming experience has made me feel a bit foolish for even thinking about doing this -I am neither a swimmer, cyclist nor a runner and most people who do tri start off as being really good at at least one beforehand. I know it shouldn't matter, but I really don't want to come last! Also, while I'm still 39 I will be up against all the spritely 30-somethings......

Been for a run and going for a bike ride later, so it is the first time I've done all 3 disciplines in one day. And I want to ride Isba! Just as well I haven't got a full time job :lol:
Sarah x

spottygiraffe

Postby Candy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:42 pm

I was chatting with a mate a couple of months ago. We both did our first marathon at the Médoc last year. Where I carried on with more marathons, he headed off towards an Ironman which he completed earlier this year.

On the subject of swimming, he was absolutely emphatic on one point: Get some professional instruction.

Just saying...
Candy

Postby spottygiraffe » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:13 pm

Thanks Mike. I was just looking at that and unfortunately the tri club near us meets at 2130-2300 on a Monday night! I go to bed at 10, not to the swimming pool :lol: I did see that you can get 10 swimming lessons for €80 at the pool in Montauban so I'll find out what the hours are for that. I'm a bit scared of being pushed too hard to start with because I really do find it knackering but I would love help with basic technique. Are you going to have lessons if you decide to do the Ironman?
Sarah x

spottygiraffe

Postby Candy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:55 pm

Absolutely.

Having realised what a, er, mountain it is to climb, I've pushed the Ironman out by a year or two and will be concentrating on getting to Olympic distance Tri next year. Maybe the London Triathlon next September?

Once I know where I'm working, I can get into a local swim or tri club and get some instruction.
Candy

Next

Return to Other Sporting Pastimes