A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Triathlon

Swimming, Zorbing, Triathlon, Hang Gliding. It's all here.

Re: Triathlon

Postby spottygiraffe » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:21 am

I think the London Tri is a really good one to start with -I believe 1/3 of all competitors are first timers. Mind you, you have to swim in the Thames!

I still want to start with a shorter one though. Shame they don't do any beginner distance ones in France.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Tess and Organza » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:00 pm

Go Sarah! :D
Tess and Organza

Postby spottygiraffe » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:58 pm

LOL thank you Tess. I am going to need lots of motivation because I keep depressing myself by reading how fast I should be running/biking/swimming :roll:
Sarah x

spottygiraffe

Postby Tanya » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:25 am

:thumbup: :thumbup: Don't know what to say except - behind you 110% Sarah......can't give you any advice on the :cycling: or :running: but the swimming thing will sort it's self but I do agree get some proffesional lessons in techique....it's all about breathing at the correct time between front strokes - for instance push off from the side do two strokes and pull through the water with your hands (easier so show than describe) with face in water then as you raise your right arm on the third pull turn your head to the side and breath - then repeat......does that make sense :? Also will the tri be in a pool or open water...there is a big difference in keeping up the body heat...if in open water...try training in a wet suit or dive skin (lycra suit to you and me - I still have my dive skin if you want to use it) as this can slow down your stroke....used to do loads of suba diving...in semi's and drysuits...
Tanya

Postby spottygiraffe » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:33 am

Tanya, I've only just seen your reply -how did I miss that? Thank you so much!

Tanya wrote:for instance push off from the side do two strokes and pull through the water with your hands (easier so show than describe) with face in water then as you raise your right arm on the third pull turn your head to the side and breath - then repeat......does that make sense

Yes, that does, because I was finding waiting for 3 strokes to breathe after pushing off left me gasping for air. Very interesting. Are you a bit of a swimmer then? If you have any more tips I would love to hear them :thumbup:

Tanya wrote:Also will the tri be in a pool or open water...there is a big difference in keeping up the body heat...if in open water...try training in a wet suit or dive skin (lycra suit to you and me - I still have my dive skin if you want to use it) as this can slow down your stroke....used to do loads of suba diving...in semi's and drysuits

It will be in open water and there are specific rules over wetsuits depending on the water temp an hour before the race. I have never swum in a wetsuit, never even worn one, but I believe they improve your buoyancy. Do you still have that shock of getting into cold water or is it easier? I hate that!

Went for a practise swim today and Angus had a look at my stroke and made a few suggestions -not that he knows anything about it! I managed 2 lengths back-to-back front crawl without drowning and lots of single lengths. When I was too pooped I did a bit of breaststroke. Big lightbulb moment that I was using my legs too much and wasting energy :idea:
Sarah x

spottygiraffe

Postby spottygiraffe » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:08 pm

:random: I have just entered my first tri :random:

There is a qualifier in the morning, over a 300m swim, 9k bike, 2,5k run and then the top 50 men and women qualify for a second tri in the afternoon, which is a 700m swim, 20k bike, 5k run. The people who don't qualify (me!) will go into a wooden spoon race over the same distance as in the morning.... I will be top of my age group because it is a week before my 40th birthday, so I will be competing with all the sprightly 30-somethings :roll:

I am 'bricking' it already (those in the know will get that little joke!) :random:

:swim: :cycling: :running:
Swim, bike, run -aaaargh!!!!!
Sarah x

spottygiraffe

Postby Trudi » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:18 pm

:notworthy: you'll be brilliant!
Trudi

Postby Chevalblanc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:48 am

Lunatic! :lol:

Make sure Angus goes along with the camera......
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby Candy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:00 am

Sounds like a great day. Remember to take the time to enjoy it and use all those transitions as practice sessions... :)
Candy

Postby spottygiraffe » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:43 am

:thumbup:

I'm hoping Angus will be able to come along but he has got the week afterwards off work for my birthday, so he might not be able to. Photos not a problem though -as part of my goody bag I get 2 professional photos of me in action -OMG! Do I want them? :lol:

My friend Mike has also signed up, but he is a seasoned triathlete and qualified in the top 50 last year so I don't suppose I'll be seeing much of him :lol:

:swim: :cycling: :running:
Sarah x

spottygiraffe

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sporting Pastimes