A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

saturation

saturation

Postby Tess and Organza » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:44 am

Im wondering something! Organza arrived at her new pension six weeks ago, she was immediately saturated with normally (for her)stress provoking situations, donkeys! strange people, lots of unknown horses, being ridden out in a place she didnt know with unknown horses, a high lifter in her field constructing a shelter, lots of things all at once,net result has been the opposite of what I anticipated. She's changed, suddenly she's learnt to hold things together, sometimes we see she's very worried, but she contains it, she has also revealed that her forté is taking care and control of every other horse in the pension, especially the youngsters, if there's a sqabble or if another horse is panicking she charges over at full pelt and just stands in front of them quietly untill they calm down; for me all this is nothing short of miraculous, we have done nothing to bring this about, only unwittingly saturate her with stimuli at a cetain moment in her life, what do you guys think? whats happened to my pain in the arse mare??? :lol: Cait has decided to get on with some trec now, and even the label losir, she might turn out to be an elite, who knows? Anything seems possible!
Tess and Organza

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: saturation

Postby glenatron » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:03 am

It is interesting, isn't it? As well as being pretty great for you, obviously :)

I have achieved the things that mattered most to me, when I was in situations that challenged me. Now, I'm not going to say that one can transfer that experience directly to horses, that would be crazy, but I do wonder whether we are sometimes too reluctant to challenge our horses in training. If they learn they can do well in situations they expect to be difficult, it may equip them to be more confident in their general life, which is something that we benefit from and they do. This area of thinking is one that balances on a very fine edge but it is particularly interesting to me, perhaps because I haven't really come to any conclusions on the topic.
glenatron

Postby Trudi » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:06 am

I have had similar experiences Tess with horses on big busy yards that seem to hold it together better than on smaller, quietier yards. It's difficult to know for sure because some horses internalise stress much better (not a good trait) than others but it's still there ready to pop at some point. Hopefully Ganz has just enough distraction to keep her from over reacting to seemingly trivial (to us) stimuli without being harmed by them :thumbup: so glad it's all working out for you guys.
Trudi

Postby spottygiraffe » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:45 am

Great stuff. I think your theory is spot on -this 'shock' has made her exercise her brain in different ways and she's got so much to think about that it has made her more focussed. Know the saying 'Ask a busy person'? :lol: We already know that mares, especially dominant ones like Ganz like to have a role, so it seems like she's taken it on herself to look after the others. I think she's simply got less mental energy left to mess you and Cait about :)
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Chevalblanc » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:51 pm

:agree: Was just reading a blog earlier about giving a horse a job:

I think most difficult horses are smart horses. I think they get themselves into trouble when they get bored and they have to find ways to entertain themselves.

https://qheventer.wordpress.com/2013/11 ... rse-a-job/

Sounds like Organza has given herself a job :thumbup: :-D
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby glenatron » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:15 pm

I used to keep my horses on a small yard but the livery was very much a side-business and most of the time they did plant hire. Suffice it to say, every horse I had that lived there was completely unperturbed by tractors, diggers and other heavy vehicles. My mare was the first horse I have owned since I left there, I was actually surprised when she was anxious about hay making gear, because I had kind of forgotten that she hadn't had that experience.
glenatron

Postby spottygiraffe » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:09 pm

Totally agree, Helen :agree:
glenatron wrote:My mare was the first horse I have owned since I left there, I was actually surprised when she was anxious about hay making gear, because I had kind of forgotten that she hadn't had that experience.

I know, it's so easy for us to forget what they have and haven't experienced. When I first got Isba she had hardly ever hacked out, so she was petrified of everything. She even used to spook at the white lines on the road and jump over the shadows cast from lampposts!
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Tanya » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:20 pm

So glad the new livery is working out :thumbup: Cait said Ganza seemed a lot happier.
Tanya

Postby littlewhitehorse » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:26 pm

I expect Organza is quite simply finding a purpose and she is motivated and stimulated by this new situation and environment.

she has also revealed that her forté is taking care and control of every other horse in the pension, especially the youngsters, if there's a sqabble or if another horse is panicking she charges over at full pelt and just stands in front of them quietly untill they calm down
You knew she had this in her and now she can fulfil her role! Lucie was the same when she was put into a herd last summer and it was why she didn't come into season, she saw her role as managerial :lol: When there was an injured horse, she kept close and guarded it from the others.

Sounds like really good news Tess, very happy for you all :thumbup:
littlewhitehorse

Postby Tess and Organza » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:38 am

Thankyou all for the feedback, seems we all agree, Ganz needed more horse stuff to do! yesterday she and Cait went out for three hours with the other merens, Gipsy, accepted being seperated even when she couldnt see Gipsy, crossed a footbridge with a jump over three steps to come off the bridge, cantered away from the other horse without argument, she now waits at the gate if she sees a ride is going to happen and when she comes back announces her arrival with a huge neigh to which all the pension horses reply, its funny, she really does seem happy, im so happy for her, my new big brave girl :thumbup: Itmakes me think about the whole psychology of horses as individuals, how the way they are doesnt always depend on us their human careres and trainers, they also have completely their own lives in their own horse world, their emotions, feelings, challenges, fears, their hopes perhaps, their longings to be fullfilled?
Tess and Organza

Next

Return to Discussion