A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Having Children & Horses

Having Children & Horses

Postby Amirah » Mon May 26, 2014 8:45 am

Hi all, I just wanted to ask the ladies on here who have children & horses, how their horsey lives have changed, since becoming a parent? Have your goals changed, your style of riding / disciplines, your confidence etc.

I now have 2 children & my horsey life has changed considerably, partly to do with realisation of time constraints, also due to confidence levels (will I ever get that back :| ), wanting to make my horsey life as simple & safe as possible so I can get the most enjoyment from the time I have with my horses. Due to this I have recently made some big & heartbreaking decisions, I sold my 5 year old mare who I bred, as had to accept she needs a more confident rider than me, with more time & someone else to ride out with :cry: , it would have been silly & dangerous for me to try riding her on my tod. I sold my 2 year old, again due to time constraints, not enough time to handle her enough :| . I sold my hubbies 3 year old as she wasn't going to make the height he needs & I didn't need another youngster to ride out on :| . Although all 3 have been sold to great homes :thumbup: . I've just bought myself a bombproof confidence giver so I can start hacking out without worry - well thats the plan :crossfingers: , she arrives shortly & my 1st goal is to just get riding again, a couple times per week, build up my confidence again - I've turned into a nervous ninny :? , 2nd goal is to do some low level dressage :crossfingers: . I rode hubbies horse on Sunday, just up the lane & back, 1st ride since April last year & it felt great, well once the nerves were starting to go that is!! Think I'll have a couple lessons at the riding school before hoping onboard my new mare, don't want my nerves to upset her :shock: .
Amirah

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Having Children & Horses

Postby RidingGirl » Tue May 27, 2014 9:54 am

Feels great getting back in the saddle doesn't it? :) i started riding 3 months ago & loving it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RidingGirl

Postby littlewhitehorse » Tue May 27, 2014 12:25 pm

That's quite a lot of changes - thought for a mo you'd sold your hubbie as well :lol:

Look forward to hearing about the new horse, hope it's what you want & good for you for having a sort-out of the wrong horses for your needs and fidning them good homes, and getting the hopefully right one

Think I'll have a couple lessons at the riding school before hoping onboard my new mare, don't want my nerves to upset her :shock: .

Sounds a good plan to get your riding mojo back.

Don't forget the groundwork and building a relationship on the ground first when you get the new horse.
littlewhitehorse

Postby Chevalblanc » Tue May 27, 2014 2:46 pm

littlewhitehorse wrote:
Don't forget the groundwork and building a relationship on the ground first when you get the new horse.

:agree:

Never actually had horses of my own before I had kids, my first ever equine was a Shetland that my mother in law bought for my then 3 year old daughter. As the little horror (pony, not daughter :lol: ) was only 18 months old and barely handled it was a steep learning curve, as you can imagine :wink: But also as I couldn't ride her, I discovered just how much you can do on the ground......
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby Amirah » Wed May 28, 2014 8:35 pm

Yes it does feel great getting back in the saddle, just sad it's not my old faithful, as she's now retired due to old age & arthritis :cry: . Have booked in a lesson though, looking forward to that :thumbup: .

No not sold my hubbie, not yet anyway lol :wink: . We did buy him a new youngster though the cremello filly that you saw littlewhitehorse, she's a year younger than the pally filly we had & already taller & from the same dam line :) .

We always let new arrivals settle in a weeks or 2 before really doing much with them, just let them get used to their new friends / surroundings & us in the field. I think thats really important for horse & rider, feeling at ease with eachother.
Amirah

Postby Trudi » Thu May 29, 2014 6:50 am

I did sell one of our 4 when I was pregnant and have gradually been 'encouraged' to downsize to two over the 13 years since I had Lydia. Tbh it is daft to have lots of horses that you don't ride but I guess left to my own devices I would probably collect them :roll: OH rode regularly until about 7 years ago when he just abruptly gave up and hasn't sat on one since.Daughter isn't massively enthusiastic any more so I try to do my riding when it doesn't clash with family commitments...usually manage 5 sessions with the 'fit' one in a week.

Sounds like you have a good plan in place :thumbup:
Trudi

Postby Amirah » Thu May 29, 2014 8:29 am

Well we have 4 now, before my son came along at one stage we had 8, although included a lease mare, plus a couple foals that had been sold that were awaiting weaning. Of the 4 we have now, 1 is my old girl whose not going anywhere, her son my hubbies mount, his 2 year old & the 2 year old that I've sold who will be replaced by my new mount :hurray: . I quite agree I don't understand why some people collect riding horses, fair enough having retirees or youngsters as field ornaments.

I too have been "encouraged" to down number lol, although I think if I didn't have children I could soon collect a few more :) . I am very happy with the horses we've got now, hopefully my newbie will be just what I need :crossfingers: , whats the saying " Its better to want what you have than to have what you want" . I do love breeding though, hope to breed another foal for 2016 :) .
Amirah

Postby Amirah » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:13 pm

My new ponio has arrived, arrived last Wednesday, very pleased with her :-D , although had a manic week & weekend, now hubbie in UK, so won't get to ride her until at least this weekend! Will post pics soon.

Also had a riding lesson Thursday evening, I haven't forgotten lol, although trotting was weird to start with, I have hardly any core strength, felt quite unstable for a while, due to having cesareans! Not much leg strength either, my legs were starting to tremble nearing the end, the mare I rode was very sweet but not very forward going! Cantered on both reins too haven't cantered for well over a year! Or had a lesson for over 11 years really :oops: . Enjoyed it soo much have another 5 booked, they were doing a deal, aimed at getting riders back in the saddle :)
Amirah

Postby Chevalblanc » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:32 am

:thumbup: Looking forward to pics of the new addition :-D I remember the first ride after the caesarean experience - but the exercise is great for getting those muscles back to doing what they should....
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby spottygiraffe » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:25 pm

How exciting!

Sorry, I've been meaning to reply properly on this thread for ages -will get round to it tonight :crossfingers:
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Return to Discussion