A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Which Method & Why

Which Method & Why

Postby Amirah » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:13 pm

Hi all, recently went to a Masterson Method demonstration which I thoroughly enjoyed (thanks M-E :) ), have also seen someone treat a horse using the McTimony Method, theres also Tellington Touch, Equine Touch, Equine Muscle Release Therapy, Equine Sports Massage, Bowen etc, etc. I wanted to ask you guys if you've used any of these methods (or any others) & whether you rated them or not? Theres lots of choice now & it's hard to choose one you'd like to learn more about :hmmm:
Amirah

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Which Method & Why

Postby Chevalblanc » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:22 am

I use some of the TTouch stuff with my old boy, went to a demo in France a few years back, found it very interesting. I can recommend this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Know-Your-Horse ... 0715322311 it's not just about the massage but also exercises like polework to help a horse learn to use its body better.

I have seen a bit of the Masterson stuff (also thanks to M-E) and in vested in the book, must find the time to actually read it :oops:
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby spottygiraffe » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:18 pm

The only one I've really tried is the T Touch and I can recommend that. I used it when I got my mini mule because he was 18 months old and had never really been handled. I remember one particular part was leg circles and it was hugely beneficial to gaining his trust with giving me his feet. Mules are quite reluctant to give their feet because it is their main defence mechanism :)
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Trudi » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:34 pm

I think they probably all have benefits, I've not used Bowen but lots of people like it. Wasn't a fan of the McT lady I used, charged a lot to tell me what I already knew...my horse was straight and balanced. There is an equine sports masseur locally who I'm very impressed with and who is very hands on and uses exercises that the French Osteo I used had me doing a few years back. I guess what I'm saying is that it's not just the technique but the practitioner that you need to be happy with.
Trudi

Postby glenatron » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:34 pm

For me I don't mind the method ever so much, but the practitioner is really important. The right person can make a massive difference with pretty much any approach as far as I can see, whereas an average practitioner will probably not make any noticeable difference. So I certainly focus on the person rather than what they do.
glenatron

Postby ThoroughbredHunterLady » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:16 am

"....after my boy came off the track and had a chance to spend some time relaxing in the pasture, he came to me calm but head shy. I first spent an incredible amount of time with him in the stall, sitting in a corner on a stool, reading a book and completely ignoring him until he started to come to me and when I thought he had accepted me as part of the herd, a "team of two, so to speak, I began all over body massages to see how comfortable he was with me as his handler. I was happy to find that I could massage him anywhere as well as groom him without incident but when I attempted to get near his head; well, that was a whole other story!

And, then the struggle began - with trouble getting the halter and the bridle anywhere near his ears. Since I'm well aware that they pinch the horse's ears in the starting gate, I imagine that he was pinched so many times that he developed a deep aversion to the pain and I'm certain this single act left him with a lasting, fearful impression.

Around that time, I stumbled upon the Tellington Touch and started basic TTouch massage near his muzzle. I only did this for a few minutes a day and combined with a one step forward, two steps back approach and with him visibly relaxing during his massages, I slowly moved up toward his ears. At the end of one month's time, I was able to gently pet him under his forelock and finally was able to touch his ears and at this stage of TTouching, he was almost falling asleep on the cross-ties! The end result was almost magical so it made sense to say that I was and continue to be completely convinced of the benefits of the TTouch!"
"To Thine Own Thoroughbred Be True"
ThoroughbredHunterLady

Postby glenatron » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:13 am

I have seen a few accounts like this of various techniques and although I don't question the outcome at all, it seems to me that the time is probably the important thing there rather than the exact approach used.
glenatron

Postby Trudi » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:28 pm

I think that's probably true Ben, the thing about following a specific technique is that it gives you a structured plan which I think suits a lot of people. I honestly believe that most of us could help our horses better if we trusted our instincts more and just got in there and played with stuff, of course I personally think that correct gymnastic training can cure many things :wink:
Trudi

Postby glenatron » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:28 pm

Buck makes a similar observation about correctly ridden horses tending to be in good physical health.
glenatron

Postby spottygiraffe » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:35 pm

Trudi wrote: I personally think that correct gymnastic training can cure many things

Yes -and you reminded me about the 'physio' flexions I discovered with Isba when I was trying to get into her neck. If I got them right then they worked wonders.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Return to Discussion