A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Horse insurance in France

Horse insurance in France

Postby YvieW » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:51 pm

Hi everyone,

Well I've now booked (and paid!) for Molly's transport from Scotland to SW France! Another thing ticked off my ridiculously long 'to do' list before we move to France in (gulp) less than 5 weeks time!!!

I have a question for anyone who has moved a horse/horses from the UK to France... what did you do about insurance for the journey? The transporter says that they are covered for anything resulting from a lorry accident, but anything else that required vet attention during the journey would be down to my own insurance. I phoned my insurers, and as expected, Molly is only covered until she leaves the UK - they won't cover her after then - I can't extend the cover at all. So I'm thinking that I will need to sort out insurance for her in France for when she arrives on French soil, before we leave. Is this what's normally done? Does anyone have any recommendations about how to sort this out, or which companies to go with? Actually, we will be in France on the 25th August, and Molly won't be transported over until about the 5th of Sept... would it be easier/feasible to organise the insurance during the first couple of weeks we're there?

As always, any advice/recommendations very gratefully received :)
Best wishes -
Yvonne x
YvieW

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Horse insurance in France

Postby Trudi » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:26 am

Yvonne, I tried to cover myself for when the horses arrived on French soil but (as you will find) the insurance companies are not very flexible; although, to be fair, that was 12 years ago. I took 3 with me and we 'self insured' all the time we were in France, basically I put an amount aside each month that would have equated to insurance premiums and ended up quids in and with a nice little emergency fund. I'm sure others will have better advice. Good luck with everything.
Trudi

Postby JennieF » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:50 am

None of mine are insured other than 3rd party Yvonne - originally it was impossible to insure in France for vets fees etc, although I think it is now possible - no idea how much it would cost though..... there what looks like a pretty comprehensive site here .....

http://www.cavalassur.com/

and they even appear to offer travel insurance - might be worth trying to call them to see if they have someone who speaks english - depends on how good your French is ...

Nevertheless, you will find that vets fees here are much cheaper in the UK as v few horses are insured
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby Chevalblanc » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:02 am

I used Cavalassur when I first got Gandalf but they weren't great, TBH. I ended up with http://www.equitanet.com/ who also do assurance chevaux transportés

I only had mine insured for responsabilité civile (3rd party) over there as Gandalf was too old to get vet cover and the others weren't worth much.
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby JennieF » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:22 am

I have RC for mine with the house insurance - just pay an extra €20ish per horse after the first 2 which are included ....
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby YvieW » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:32 pm

Thanks everyone, that's very useful... and interesting! I've often thought that the high vet fees here are probably driven by the insurance market... and it's self perpetuating of course, as the fees are so high that you feel you have to have insurance!

It sounds like 3rd party insurance/rider cover can be included on household insurance fairly easily. Here I have rider cover (I presume that's what your RC is JennieF) through my BHS membership, and I pay just over £30/month for the rest (including quite substantial vet cover and remedial shoeing etc.) although there is a £140 excess on any claim. Molly is 18 now - and after a quick look at the Equitanet site... I don't think I can get vet fees covered, as she's over 14! I will check out the other site as well though, and see if there's insurance for her journey available.

I'll let you know if I discover anything else - just in case it's of use to someone!

Off too pack up some winter clothes now...!
Cheers,

Yvonne
YvieW

Postby JennieF » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:57 pm

Good luck with the packing Yvonne - my house is sold too so I will be on my way South soon too :thumbup: :thumbup: although not until probably November :cold: :cold: so I hope I can find somewhere where I can keep warm
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby YvieW » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:00 pm

JennieF wrote:Good luck with the packing Yvonne - my house is sold too so I will be on my way South soon too :thumbup: :thumbup: although not until probably November :cold: :cold: so I hope I can find somewhere where I can keep warm

That's great news Jennie! Where is it you're moving to... or haven't you decided yet?
YvieW

Postby JennieF » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:55 am

I'm hoping to find somewhere in the Lot, which is where I used to live, as I love it there but I am searching surrounding areas too - up a bit into the Correze, West a bit into Lot & Garonne, maybe the far East of the Dordogne or the Haute Vienne - basically need to find 3 hectares with a barn or house to renovate that I can afford .... not going to be easy but there must be something out there ....
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby Chevalblanc » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:05 am

YvieW wrote:I don't think I can get vet fees covered, as she's over 14!

No one will insure a horse over 14 for vet fees as they're considered too old over there :roll:

Once you arrive, ask your local centre equestre to get you a licence as this insures you in case of accident, it's only €36 a year....
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Next

Return to Discussion