A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

chronic diarrhea

chronic diarrhea

Postby Tess and Organza » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:23 am

Does anyone know of any sups, treatments etc that could help Kikis runny bot? Shes had the problem on and off for about four years, it started apparently after a worming treatment, but she may have had it before. She has it most of the time but passes normal poo as well as a constant browny yellow liquid which doesnt seem to bother her> Its not grass runs as she rarely gets good grass.Worming makes no difference. Nor did the various treatments the vet gave her. Is there an old horse wives remedy for this out there somewhere? Has anyone else had this problem?
Tess and Organza

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: chronic diarrhea

Postby Tess and Organza » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:37 am

just found this
Probiotics, prebiotics and yeast – to reinoculate and feed the “good bugs”
Kaopectate and Pepto-Bismol – coat, soothe, relieve!
Psyllium – in case the diarrhea is caused by inflammation from sand
Daily dewormer – to prevent gut wall damage from parasites
Digestive enzymes – such as amylase, lipase, cellulase and protease
Hindgut buffer – encapsulated or protected sodium bicarbonate
Digestive support – products with L-glutamine, Licorice, Oat fiber and oil
Plant extracts – adaptogens to help normalize the body’s systems

any experience anyone?
Tess and Organza

Postby Chevalblanc » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:56 am

Now that you mention it, poor old G has been having runny botty problems here, but it is entirely due to the over rich grass. At the moment he (and Tari) is on the yard on old hay only and I have been giving him a pro biotic gut balancer which seems to be helping. Loraine is also getting me some bentonite clay which can apparently help, I'd never heard of it before, more about it here: http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxificat ... e-clay.htm
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby littlewhitehorse » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:19 pm

I think I'd start at the top of that list and work my way through. Certainly try a probiotic. One thing I recall which is from the plant side/old wives :lol: is arrowroot powder, for diahrrea. My mum used to give us arrowroot biscuits in the days before imodium was discovered, and we once gave it to our pet rabbits when they all came down with the runs, and it worked. You'd need to look it up but should be easy enough to get hold of. Poor Kyrie! But sounds like there's an intolerance or inbalance which needs to be found.
littlewhitehorse

Postby Tess and Organza » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:18 pm

thankyou ladies i remember arrowroot! im sure I used it to thicken things instead of gelatine when i was vegan, probiotics and clay also interesting, will get onto it asap, had a terrible time this morning whilst poo picking, she got trapped in the shelter behind a kicking organza :evil: i rather rashly waded in growling loudly which incredibly did stop organza, but kiki was so upset she started collicking, was just about to run for the calmagine but managed to sooth her down thankgod, poor girl, have blocked off the shelter as ive always been worried about the design, luckilly they will all move to the big field in three weeks time where the shelter is open both sides
Tess and Organza

Postby JennieF » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:33 pm

field shelters are fine all the while everyone gets along and shares ..... poor Kiri

I wonder if Kiri's onging problem has anything to do with her body fighting the long term 'infection' in her side ...... or maybe it is linked to the ABs she has been on (in which case a probiotic would be a v good idea) I dont know if you can feed horses live yougurt !!!
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby Chevalblanc » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:49 am

Bet they would eat it!

I'm giving this to G, he's a lot better, still on hay only for now, much to his disgust :wink:

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Protexin-Gut ... PROTEXGUT/
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby spottygiraffe » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:04 pm

I use arrowroot in cooking sometimes -it does make everything very firm! :lol:

Poor Kyrie -a side effect might be that she's not absorbing all her nutrients properly, so maybe give her a mineral lick if she hasn't already got one. And make sure she's drinking enough (difficult I know). In humans things like IBS can be triggered by one incident so it could well have been the wormer that set it off. I hope you find out how to reset her system -it will be possible and probiotics do sound like a very sensible place to start.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Tess and Organza » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:56 am

thats what I think Sarah, Im going to order from the site link Helen posted, but as shes not on hard feed how should I give it? I might have to get a bit of feed in, perhaps I could find something that is also a feed for horses with bad guts, know of anything? She has a salt lick but not other minerals so you're right I need to think of that. I think its possible she has worm damage dating from her early years in that awful place before her last owner, I know for a fact she was roughly handled and I guess its possible she was full of worms as well. Anyway will go with resetting her system first and stay positive :wink:
Tess and Organza

Postby Tess and Organza » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:43 am

oh goodness have realised its 14 odd quid for 40 g and I need to give 20 g a day for diarhea, might be too costly for me, or have I misunderstood? I can be a bit duhh with those sort of calculations :oops: does anyone know of a cheaper form of horse sized probiotic dosage? will check french sites
Tess and Organza

Next

Return to Discussion