A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

campo, la reverence etc

campo, la reverence etc

Postby Tess and Organza » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:20 am

not talking about extended legs,but is teaching horses tricks, (kiki will do anything for a bit of carrot, organza when she feels like playing,) is asking a horse to do la reverence (is it physically uncomfortable?) and stand in campo an ok thing if light hearted and not forced, or is it not right? mixed feelings, what are your opinions? Carole taught the little colt to rear on command, unfortunately she did that with him on long reins, very silly in my opinion, his owner wants to train him to harness so we are now de programming the rear, because he keeps doing it even when not asked, imagine that with a caleche attached... :shock:
cant get pics to work.... :roll:
Tess and Organza

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: campo, la reverence etc

Postby Trudi » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:45 am

Not sure I've seen the campo before, looks like the beginnings of the obeisance where the stretch as shown is followed by a lowering of the head, bowing but not as in reverence.
I don't have an issue with trick training but it depends on why, how etc. I don't like the look of the obeisance or the reverence but that is probably daft as I have taught my dog to lie down which is an essential command for a spoiled house dog! I love the pedestal work and if I ever have spare dosh I am going to treat myself to one, they are brilliant for balance and stretch work. I don't see that training tricks is any worse than riding or groundwork, as long as it is a considered approach and not done with ego. For instance Spanish Walk is excellent for opening up the shoulders and the trot improves (passage too if you are at that level) s a result. I'm also in favour of training things on the ground as it encourages the horse to use his brain which is not a requirement in his general daily life as we do most things for them...offer food, water, shelter etc.
If it goes wrong though it can be spectalcular...training a rear being an epic fail for me as it isn't a lesson in balance or strength...best to train levade over a period of time I think.
Trudi

Postby Tess and Organza » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:16 pm

I was kinda thinking that too, I lack the riding knowledge to take this thru to ridden dressage, part from by rough feel own rules eventually, Im betting only with kiki as ganz is apalled by the idea of ridden school work :roll: (since. life) its seems like fun, but then I wouldnt want it to be less than a game or relaxed exercise, so could take a century to actually ride anything so baletically pretty in the case of spanish walk..la reverence seems a bit submissive but this is just a human idea as horses do not show submission by adopting such a posture, and generally mine would stand on their heads for carrot :wink: not that I'd ask them to :shock:
Tess and Organza

Postby spottygiraffe » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:54 pm

I did a bit of pedestal work with Mav and he absolutely LOVED it! I think as long as you use positive reinforcement and allow the horse to tell you if they've had enough then there's no harm in having a go at any of these things. Mav certainly liked the mental stimulation and he always looked so proud when he stood on the top of that rostrum. I think if teaching some of these moves is something that you would enjoy then just have a play with it -if you enjoy it then it's almost certain that the horse will too.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Return to Discussion