A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

homeopathy for horses

Re: homeopathy for horses

Postby spottygiraffe » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:19 pm

Tess and Organza wrote:....talking of what we eat I firmly believe in the daily addition of fresh herbs to food, medieval style, all sorts of trace elements etc not found elsewhere in such concentration,

Yeah -that's exactly what I think. It's all about the 'whole' and it's not as good if you extract vitamins and minerals and eat them in isolation, but there is a magical chemistry that occurs if you eat a whole apple or a whole courgette etc.

Trudi wrote:Sarah I am absolutely certain that I poison my poor body daily with some of my rubbish food choices, only last night they were talking on the Beeb about rice containing sometimes dangerous amounts of arsenic

:roll: They always have to scaremonger about everything :roll: It boils down to that good old avdvice about moderation -eat a wide range of foods, mainly plants, not too much of any one thing.

I think the ideal is if we can feed our horses a huge range of nutritious goodies and let them browse on them at leisure -wouldn't it be lovely if they had acces to a well-stocked herb garden that they could pick and choose and self-medicate from? But it's not an ideal world so if there are things we can do to support them that aren't harmful then why not? I'm not sure about extracting single nutrients or concentrating them down into a herbal pill, but I think it's probably on the right lines and is a good back-up if a fully balanced diet including herbs and medicinal plants isn't possible.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Late Starter » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:35 pm

If herbs contain useful, biologically active compounds (and I believe that they do), then we must treat them with respect. That which is beneficial in a low dose may be harmful in a larger dose (to borrow from Paracelsus). Dosage is difficult to control in the "crude" form, hence the industry that has built up around extracting active ingredients (plus the profit motive of corporations).
We like to think that horses and ponies are in some ways wise and will choose only beneficial herbs. The sad truth is that even we cannot reliably do that!
Not sure where I am going with this - the fug of a busy day is swamping me. Time to stop! :)
Late Starter

Postby Tess and Organza » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:27 pm

animals are more likely to choose what they need than we are as we've lost the ability to make a connection between the smell etc of a plant and what we need, I think we did once poccess the instinct, some still do, but to an extent we've over self educated and rationalised just about everything
Tess and Organza

Postby littlewhitehorse » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:28 pm

I looked up diarrhée in my book Homéopathie et Cheval, but none of the descriptions and causes seem to fit the case. For diarrhée peu violente qui n'affecte pas l'état général du cheval : china 5CH 1 dose; natrum muriaticum 9 CH 1 dose 1 heure plus tard renouveler 3 fois si besoin dans la journée; it also mentions "dans tous le cas on peut ajouter à tous les traitements précédents podophyllum 5 ch : 10 granules matin et soir pendant 3-4 jours".
littlewhitehorse

Postby Tess and Organza » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:10 pm

thankyou Sheila, :thumbup: because I couldnt find anything...will make a note
Tess and Organza

Previous

Return to Discussion