A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Move back to the UK?

Move back to the UK?

Postby Amirah » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:44 pm

Hi all, I know there are a few users on here that have lived in France & have moved back to the UK. For those that don't know me, we live in France & we're wanting to leave, been here 11 years & it's time for a change. Anyway, we always said we'd never go back to the UK but now we are thinking about it, just had a fab trip over with our kids who loved it, we miss our friends & family soo much. I wanted to ask those that had moved back with kids, how they settled into their new schools, as the French schooling system is soo different. We are also considering Canada but it would be much simpler to go back to the UK, also we could keep our horses (shipping way too expensive to Canada), would be close to family, friends etc, the pull is huge!!!!! Downside is property with land, it is sooo expensive!!!
Amirah

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Move back to the UK?

Postby spottygiraffe » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:11 pm

Hi -Trudi and Helen have both moved back recently so I'm sure they'll give you some thoughts on the matter. I miss my friends and family like crazy but I do often wonder if the grass isn't greener because whenever I go over on holiday I feel a bit claustrophobic with all the people and the traffic. I'm not sure I would actually be happier. It's something I think about a lot and I'm ok here for the time being but I can't imagine staying in France forever.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Chevalblanc » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:43 pm

We moved back almost exactly a year ago, and I have to say, I really miss France.......the others don't seem to though, the kids much prefer their UK schools (I've got one in primary and one at secondary) and being near their cousins. I think certainly at secondary level, the schools here offer more for the kids, they get a much more rounded education and probably more chance of getting a good career going. My girls settled in very quickly and made new friends.

I miss the riding in France though, you can't go where you like here, everywhere has stiles and gates, not like riding through the vines :cowboy:

But I suppose each country has its advantages and disadvantages, I don't miss the French chasse and it is very nice being able to walk to the pub :drink:
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby Trudi » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:50 pm

We never planned to come back but as my daughter got older we had problems getting her into the College we wanted (because we lived close to the border of two departments we had to get dispensation for her to go to the one we wanted in the next department even though it was nearer) and it all kind of snowballed. It was definitely the right move for us and at the right time, glad we lived in France for the 10 years we did and happy that daughter is bi-lingual but just love England (yes I know not very popular these days and everyone often bashing it). We moved to Exmoor so pretty much like the area of France we lived and we don't have family on the doorstep but can see them much more easily than before.

Settling in to school was fine, Lydia was 11 when we came back and she took her GCSE French early as did Helen's daughter, Ali. All went a bit whatsits up when she was due to change schools at 13 as her next school (no choice here as it is so rural, one school or privately educate) was put into special measures. I am now home schooling her but that is nothing to do with the English system or the fact that she had been in France just that they had a rubbish head mistress who messed it up. Lydia found the school here to be way more lenient and 'softer' on the kids but loves the sport and clubs available.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Trudi

Postby Amirah » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:50 pm

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated :xmassmile: , My hubbie feels a bit like you Spottygiraffe in respect of the amount of people & traffic in the UK, tbh that has never bothered me, even with riding in the UK, I actually had better riding there than where we are now lol but I was spoilt as had pretty much direct access onto Bodmin moor, which I miss. However we've noticed a big increase in traffic in France too in the last 10 years.... I don't want to knock either country both have their positives & negatives but for us being in our mid 30's feel like we need to live life more, we really miss the social side of our UK lives, also the English sense of humour, having horsey friends close by to hack out with , the shows, trainers etc, everyone is soo spread out here, also for me being able to work other than in some grotty factory. I personally think our kids will have better career opportunities too, plus will be able to see more of their family. However will really miss our property in France, also my Dad who will stay here & if we move back possibly not be able to have the horses at home.

Good to hear that your children have settled back into English life too :thumbup: Have you found the cost of living to be much more? We've pretty much accepted that we'll have to have another Mortgage, to get a property with some space.
Amirah

Postby Hawkshadow » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:29 pm

Can I just ay that I prefer the schools here, I find it a lot less stressful to have shorter days. I do think that schools are better here because of that. :cat2:
Hawkshadow

Postby Trudi » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:31 pm

Amirah wrote: Have you found the cost of living to be much more? We've pretty much accepted that we'll have to have another Mortgage, to get a property with some space.

Not really, the horses cost me more as I now have to pay livery but the upside of not having to look after a huge place balances that for me. Eating out is similar but with lots more choice and food shopping some things are cheaper some more expensive (wine). The big one, as you have already noted, is property and unless you want to live in Wales a property with land is going to cost.
Trudi

Postby spottygiraffe » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:25 am

Amirah wrote: I don't want to knock either country both have their positives & negatives but for us being in our mid 30's feel like we need to live life more, we really miss the social side of our UK lives, also the English sense of humour, having horsey friends close by to hack out with

:agree: I totally get that. They are the things I miss the most and the biggest compromise about being here -and as Helen said I miss being able to walk to the pub!
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Amirah » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:29 pm

Hawkshadow wrote:Can I just ay that I prefer the schools here, I find it a lot less stressful to have shorter days. I do think that schools are better here because of that. :cat2:

Really? My sisters son whose the same age in the UK leaves school earlier than my son, who now also goes 5 days per week (Wednesday morning), I've found he's more tired now than when he was doing 4 days per week! I feel like he's missing out on things too, such as Christmas plays (they don't do them at his school), school here seems much more academic especially the older the children get.

I miss pub grub too, well eating out & having a good meal full stop, I'm veggie & get pretty fed up of eating pizza, although now eat a bit of fish too, to make life easier when eating out lol. Choice of veggie food here is very poor, love shopping back in UK.

How much does livery in the UK cost now? Can't really ask my mates as they all own their own places...I don't fancy living in Wales or Scotland lol, want to be South West...
Amirah

Postby M-E » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:38 pm

Hawkshadow is Chevalblanc's daughter Claire so she is now in the UK schools not French.

South West, you had better start saving women :lol: , we have always said if we go back it won't be SW as we just couldn't afford it, a shame as that was where I was born and lived till we came here,
M-E

Next

Return to Discussion