A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Teacher/Coach/Trainer info please

Teacher/Coach/Trainer info please

Postby Trudi » Tue May 24, 2016 7:43 am

I'm on the beg again :roll:
I'm going to write a blog entry about teachers/coaches/trainers in the next couple of weeks- this was an idea put forward by a student overseas who went to a 'french' classical trainer thinking they'd teach the sort of thing I do and being rather surprised that they did everything BUT teach classical- mainly competition push/pull stuff. Of course it was expensive and he asked nothing about their history etc etc and she hurt from top to toe the next day :eek: .

So....what do you look for in a teacher/trainer/coach? Experience, empathy, knowledge, value for money etc etc

Thanks in advance.
Trudi

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Teacher/Coach/Trainer info please

Postby JennieF » Tue May 24, 2016 10:19 am

These days I prefer to watch a trainer giving lessons first before I decide if I want to have a lesson with them ... I know what I want to achieve and how I 'dont' want to achieve it :wink:
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby Trudi » Tue May 24, 2016 10:47 am

Thanks Jennie, very good point...sadly most I get to see disappoint me :sad:
Trudi

Postby littlewhitehorse » Tue May 24, 2016 10:55 am

I agree - want to see them in action first. What I look for is that they can teach and impart to their students, not important to me how they ride themselves, what they've won or done, and not impressed if they decide to ride a student's horse; they need to be able to teach the student to ride their own horse.
What I do expect to see if an improvement in the horse and it's way of going, whether this is achieved by teaching the rider to change something or helping the horse to move better, depending on the teaching method. In the dressage clinics I've particpated in, it happens because the instructor is addressing often very small things the rider is doing or not doing. The difference in the horse is what then impresses me (relaxing, softer, quieter, better movement etc.).
What works for me as a learner is visualisations; I am not sure how to explain what I mean, but it's helping me to see things in a way I can retain them in my mind.
littlewhitehorse

Postby Trudi » Tue May 24, 2016 11:38 am

:thumbup: thanks Sheila, makes perfect sense.

Costs??? does a certain fee put you off or does it indicate that it must be a very good lesson if you are paying a lot ( :lol: at that but seriously does price make a difference to your expectation??)

Keep it coming.
Trudi

Postby spottygiraffe » Tue May 24, 2016 11:48 am

Of course I'd be happy to help if I can but I'm not sure I've got anything groundbreaking to contribute.

littlewhitehorse wrote:not impressed if they decide to ride a student's horse; they need to be able to teach the student to ride their own horse.

I'm not sure about this one -I agree and disagree. I think it can be inspirational for the student to see what their horse can do if right buttons are pushed. I've always loved seeing better riders than me sit on my horses and get more out of them. But it's true that it is vital for them to be able to impart the information on how to push those buttons otherwise it's completely pointless. Some/most? trainers are far better at demonstrating than they are at teaching.

I have talked about this before and it was so long ago now, but when I had a week at the Yorkshire Riding Centre I was a bit disappointed that I came away feeling like I hadn't improved much or even at all in dressage. My XC and SJ came on but I didn't grasp anything that I could take home with me during the dressage lessons. And we had 2 hours of dressage every morning (plus 2-3 hours jumping in the afternoon!). It was a bit difficult because I was riding their horses not my own, but I remember being given instructions (move a leg, move a hand, move a hip) and it would get a result but I had no understanding of why and I was therefore unable to recreate it when I got home. Thinking about it, this was pretty much the case with all of my lessons in the UK -I could get the horse going nicely when the instructor was there but then it all went to pieces when I was left to it. I say going nicely...you all know what I mean by that...looking like he/she was in an outline but without much understanding of what was going on with the back end let alone the whole body. I actually think I would have benefitted from some theoretical lessons without going anywhere near a horse. It wasn't until I started really reading outside of the normal spheres that I started to have a few lightbulb moments. I read plenty of general riding manuals and they all said the same things which I thought I understood but actually it was all just...well, words. I wish an instructor had sat down with me and to watch some dressage tests together and also point me in the right direction of some great books. I think it is probably different and easier now that there is so much content online. Some of the best things I've learnt in the past decade have come from discussions that we have had on here and HT, especially the 'Say what you see' type threads. If I see a photo I don't like it's good to try to analyse what's going on and then get other people's opinions.

Sorry if I've gone off on a tangent! Happy to add any more thoughts if you want to channel me in a better direction :hug:
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby spottygiraffe » Tue May 24, 2016 11:52 am

Trudi wrote:does a certain fee put you off or does it indicate that it must be a very good lesson if you are paying a lot

There is something in that...I think there is probably a sweet spot between paying enough to believe you are getting a good quality experience but not coming away feeling ripped off. I think if I were looking for someone I would go mid-range, but I can totally see why someone would want to treat themselves to a once in a lifetime clinic with one of the big names.

It reminds me a bit of trying to price artwork...too cheap and people think it must be crap and it only took ten minutes, too expensive and people will walk away.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Chevalblanc » Tue May 24, 2016 3:02 pm

Trudi wrote:
Costs??? does a certain fee put you off

Yes. We have a limited budget and just can't afford to pay loads, even if it is a "big name" whose work I actually like (although there ain't many of them!)

littlewhitehorse wrote:I agree - want to see them in action first.

:agree: There's a Western clinic on near here every month and we like to go along and see how the instructors teach, how they address problems, whether they make sure to give everyone something positive to go away with, stuff like that. I don't have a problem with instructors riding the horses either, sometimes as Sarah says it can be useful to show people what their horse can achieve if they ask it in the right way etc. but then so much of what we do is all groundwork anyway it's not so important I suppose.......

Plenty of trainers round here that I've heard people rave about but they tend to be too "old school" for us. Ali took Sky to a training session once with the woman who was coaching the school equestrian team (SJ & dressage) and the first thing she was asked was "Why aren't you riding with a bit?" :roll: So I don't really go by other people's recommendations any more (apart from sensible people like you lot, obviously :wink: ), I prefer to see for myself.
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby JennieF » Tue May 24, 2016 5:10 pm

I'm not bothered if the instructor doesnt ride my horse - if they do its a bonus but you dont always have to be able to do it to be able to teach it - IYKWIM

Mind you it was nice to see Sheila on Bandit the other day as you get a far better idea of what is going on ... that's where video it such a great tool - you can see what was happening and watch it again to remind yourself what you did and how you achieved things ...
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby M-E » Tue May 24, 2016 8:15 pm

My number one thing re trainers is that they don't have either a hissy fit or an attack of the giggles when they find out what I ride :wink: I am happy pay a fair price but some times think I'm on my own there after talking to other people. I would love a trainer to ride my boys just to see how they can go and see what they mean, but so far they have all back out :lol: really I just want somebody who can explain things simply, push to doing new stuff and been truthful with my bad habits and has the patience of a saint
M-E

Next

Return to Discussion