A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Teacher/Coach/Trainer info please

Re: Teacher/Coach/Trainer info please

Postby Trudi » Wed May 25, 2016 5:44 am

It reminds me a bit of trying to price artwork...too cheap and people think it must be crap and it only took ten minutes, too expensive and people will walk away.

So true and I'm always trying to pitch myself in the right place. So what do we think is a 'reasonable' price??? The lady who suggested I blog this paid the equivalent of £100 for 45 mins :shock: no pre or post 'chat'. I have to factor in more time as ALL my clients like to chat about how it went etc plus I always send a written resume with their 'homework' included so for every hour ( :lol: ) that I teach it takes about 2 hours to deliver...guess I won't ever be rich.
I'm not bothered if the instructor doesnt ride my horse - if they do its a bonus but you dont always have to be able to do it to be able to teach it - IYKWIM

I do understand and agree to a point but I do find when I ride a client's horse (I have sat on most) it gives me a greater feel for what is needed. That said one of my favourite teachers never sat on any horses but she was a list 1 judge so had all the credentials. It does worry me sitting on clients horses in case I had an accident away from home- last week I got mowed down my one when we were working in-hand :roll: it just isn't a safe job I suppose.

Plenty of trainers round here that I've heard people rave about but they tend to be too "old school" for us

Here too, I think it is part of 'belonging to a group' mentality and not wanting to be different. One of my students gave my details to the local riding club because she'd like to ride with someone there that she gets on with rather than having to ignore instruction she doesn't like...I don't expect to hear from them :lol:
I think it is probably different and easier now that there is so much content online. Some of the best things I've learnt in the past decade have come from discussions that we have had on here and HT, especially the 'Say what you see' type threads. If I see a photo I don't like it's good to try to analyse what's going on and then get other people's opinions.

Very true....how do we sift through and find good stuff online? I guess you just get a feel for it.

number one thing re trainers is that they don't have either a hissy fit or an attack of the giggles when they find out what I ride :wink: I am happy pay a fair price but some times think I'm on my own there after talking to other people. I would love a trainer to ride my boys just to see how they can go and see what they mean, but so far they have all back out :lol: really I just want somebody who can explain things simply, push to doing new stuff and been truthful with my bad habits and has the patience of a saint

Why wouldn't they sit on yours :confused: I think it might be hard to get an idea of what you have under you if you haven't sat on it, although possibly they get some feel from in-hand.

Simple is the thing isn't it...and everyone's simple is different, I have a male client and he processes stuff very differently.

Thanks again guys.
Trudi

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby littlewhitehorse » Wed May 25, 2016 1:33 pm

About the instructor riding the student's horse, just to add that I meant if they do it in a show-off sort of way - that can be very demoralising; and can be showing off :thumbdown: if it is educational it would be different, but then most things can be demonstrated or taught from the ground if the horse sn't understanding, and I still think the skill of a teacher is to get the student doing it for themselves. One of the best upcoming Parelli instructors is disabled and teaches her horses and her students from a motorised tricycle and her insights as a teacher and groundwork with her own horses are excellent. However, as Jennie says, it can be very helpful to watch someone else ride your horse and see what the horse is doing or not, and it doesn't need to be the instructor, I think they are better on the ground watching and explaining. For this too I think video crit and analysis is an excellent tool and an essential of modern teaching.

As to price, hard to say but don't sell yourself too cheap because it doesn't get you respect or thanks IMO ;) and I speak more as a freelance interior designer here.
littlewhitehorse

Postby Chevalblanc » Wed May 25, 2016 3:50 pm

littlewhitehorse wrote:
As to price, hard to say but don't sell yourself too cheap because it doesn't get you respect or thanks IMO ;)

No, I certainly found out the hard way that if you help someone for free they don't appreciate it :evil: Trouble is, you always want to spend the extra time for the horse's sake I guess......
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby M-E » Wed May 25, 2016 6:59 pm

Trudi wrote:

number one thing re trainers is that they don't have either a hissy fit or an attack of the giggles when they find out what I ride :wink: I am happy pay a fair price but some times think I'm on my own there after talking to other people. I would love a trainer to ride my boys just to see how they can go and see what they mean, but so far they have all back out :lol: really I just want somebody who can explain things simply, push to doing new stuff and been truthful with my bad habits and has the patience of a saint

Why wouldn't they sit on yours :confused: I think it might be hard to get an idea of what you have under you if you haven't sat on it, although possibly they get some feel from in-hand.

Simple is the thing isn't it...and everyone's simple is different, I have a male client and he processes stuff very differently.

Thanks again guys.

The first trainer took one look at Brett & said she never rode clients horses :lol: Liz has really bad hips and can only ride very narrow horses and err Nicky seems to always forget her hat :rofl: :rofl:

Oh yes all those simples, not as simple as it sounds :lol: :lol:
M-E

Postby Chevalblanc » Wed May 25, 2016 7:15 pm

Trudi wrote: I have a male client and he processes stuff very differently.

Very diplomatically put :wink: :lol:

M-E wrote:

The first trainer took one look at Brett & said she never rode clients horses :lol:

I'd ride him :-D :cowboy:
Helen

Chevalblanc

Postby Trudi » Thu May 26, 2016 8:04 am

Yes free isn't always valued!! It's not really about me, my prices are (I think :lol: ) reasonable...if you come to me it's £15 plus £5 for the school (I don't get that) and if I travel it is from £20 depending on where and how many...considering my insurance is over £300 a year I don't think I'm too bad in terms of value.

But...as I said it's not about me...what is your max budget for a one off or for a regular lesson. Do you prefer a male or female or don't care. Would someone 'foreign' rank highly even if they struggle in your language???
Trudi

Postby M-E » Thu May 26, 2016 9:07 am

I pay/have paid around 40 - 50 euros an hour, they have to come to me so i think that is a fair price for one to one.

I don't mind if it's male or female, yes I would pay more for a one or two off well known trainer, Mark Rashid, Richard Maxwell top the list there
M-E

Postby FlorayG » Thu May 26, 2016 1:43 pm

What attracts me to a new trainer? A free lesson to start with. :thumbup:
Seriously Trudi; that was what initially attracted me to your teaching. The only way to see if you gel with a trainer is to try them and it's a bit expensive if you pay and then get nothing from it. Years ago when I was teaching I used to offer a free first lesson too. Loads of trainers actually think they are offering different to what they actually teach, after all you only know what you have been taught and if a teacher learned from another teacher who thought winching a horses nose in was classical it's hardly their fault if they think the same, so you can never believe what you read.

As for what I would pay it's very hard to price...I have paid £60 for a single hour once, but that was from a specific trainer that I already had done clinics with and I had a specific problem I wanted her to help me with. I think I got my money's worth with that but then I already knew she could help. I maybe would pay more to ride a first class trained horse than I would to have a lesson on my own horse. And it's down to what you can afford - I might think a trainer worth £60 an hour for regular lessons but I still wouldn't have them because I can't afford that.

I like the teacher to ride my horse. It helps me to see the horses shape and reactions and changes over time - nice when the trainer rides your horse for five minutes every lesson so you can see that.
FlorayG

Postby Chevalblanc » Thu May 26, 2016 2:53 pm

FlorayG wrote: it's down to what you can afford - I might think a trainer worth £60 an hour for regular lessons but I still wouldn't have them because I can't afford that.

:agree: Same here.

Trudi wrote:Yes free isn't always valued!! It's not really about me, my prices are (I think :lol: ) reasonable...if you come to me it's £15 plus £5 for the school (I don't get that) and if I travel it is from £20 depending on where and how many...considering my insurance is over £300 a year I don't think I'm too bad in terms of value.

Definitely not :-D Once we get our school done (been moved back to end of June now :roll: ) we are all still interested in getting you over for a day....

what is your max budget for a one off or for a regular lesson.

Couldn't justify paying more than £40/£50 an hour and that would have to be a rare occurrence!

Do you prefer a male or female or don't care.

Don't care.

Would someone 'foreign' rank highly even if they struggle in your language???

If they're good, yes. Some of the best horseback archery training we've had has been from Emil (Swedish) and Alan & Fréd (French).....
Helen

Chevalblanc

Postby Trudi » Fri May 27, 2016 7:30 am

Excellent info, thanks all. I agree and £60 an hour for me would be a one off special (if I ever could find someone I liked :lol: ). In the states there are a lot of ex Cadre Noir riders offering clinics and I guess they have to factor in flights if they still live in Europe...there are also a fair few who have 'created' a past that sounds exciting :wink: there seems to be rich pickings over there!
Trudi

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion